cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tranfer phone number.

andreale
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I am using Chatr Mobile right now with my phone number from Toronto, ON. I live in Montreal now and want to switch over Public but I would like to keep my old phone number which is from Toronto. I went to few mobile companies already and they had some issues with transferring phone number between different Provinces. I would like to know if Public will be able to transfer the number from Toronto to Montreal or between different Provinces? Does anyone have the same concern or have experienced this?

I went to Wow mobile and ask for the same question but they did not know the answer and said they were not sure about that. Please helpppp !!!

17 REPLIES 17

andreale

Maybe there was a misunderstanding. I did not put my own reply as a solution. The first reply that I chose as solution was from a member which was very useful. And moreover I did not receive any rewards from that so it's not possible that I chose my own reply as solution. Thank you for your clarification!

The standard exception to the 2 hour (?) suggested Port time for cell phones is when porting a TELUS number to PM. Mine literally took 30-45 seconds and was fully functional.

AE_Collector

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jeet wrote:

Hi i have also ported my number and PM just needed my account number and name right and my alternate contact number in case if they have any issues. But number got ported within 15 mins. 

When porting successfully done you might get text message and before that you can change of number in self serve account. 

Hope this helps.

Porting almost never finishes within 15 minutes, although it's not impossible. The Canadian Wireless Telecom Association says that wireless carriers should aim to have number ported from other wireless carriers within 2.5 business hours.

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding. I interpreted the post you quoted as reporting his experience. I recently heard of two ports that took maybe a half hour. I'll go along with the guidelines though.

I don't doubt the experiece. I did originally read this and thought that the member was wondering why it wasn't done within 15 minutes, but obviously that's not the case. I'm really only saying that customers shouldn't expect a 15 minute completion time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jeet wrote:

Hi i have also ported my number and PM just needed my account number and name right and my alternate contact number in case if they have any issues. But number got ported within 15 mins. 

When porting successfully done you might get text message and before that you can change of number in self serve account. 

Hope this helps.

Porting almost never finishes within 15 minutes, although it's not impossible. The Canadian Wireless Telecom Association says that wireless carriers should aim to have number ported from other wireless carriers within 2.5 business hours.

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding. I interpreted the post you quoted as reporting his experience. I recently heard of two ports that took maybe a half hour. I'll go along with the guidelines though.

@Jeet wrote:

Hope this helps.

Porting rarely finishes within 15 minutes, although it's not impossible. The Canadian Wireless Telecom Association says that wireless carriers should aim to have numbers ported from other wireless carriers within 2.5 business hours.

Jeet

Hope this helps.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Lowufo wrote:

Your own reply is the solution???

I've re-assigned the solution. @andreale: Members should not be giving themselves solutions.  They might plan a part in calculating monthly Community rewards. Solutions also act as recognition and as a thank you to members who have helped answer your question.

I agree with only one exception, If the OP discovers the solution on their own without the advice of any other members and post that solution to the thread. In this case you would want the actual solution selected so anyone seraching in the future sees the actual steps to take. But only in this very limited situation should you be selecting your own post as a solution.

@Lowufo wrote:

I've re-assigned the solution. @andreale: Members should not be giving themselves solutions.  They might plan a part in calculating monthly Community rewards. Solutions also act as recognition and as a thank you to members who have helped answer your question.

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

andreale

Thank you everyone so much for all the great and helpful answers.

I believe public has the same plans everywhere. Public can take over your number with your authorisation if you can show that you are account holder and your account is in good standing. If you have tab with the previous provider you will probably have to pay penalty for cancelling early, you better talk to them before if such is the case.

The only difference is the tax you may be paying, as you will be paying the tax to the province where the number is from

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@andreale wrote:

As I checked, there are no differences between mobile plans in ON and QC right? I went to other companies and their issue was the plans differences. Just want to make sure. 

PM plan prices are the same across Canada.

andreale

As I checked, there are no differences between mobile plans in ON and QC right? I went to other companies and their issue was the plans differences. Just want to make sure. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@andreale 

1.  No problem to port your ON number to PM and use it in Montreal.  You will save 2% in tax as you will be charged ON 13% instead of 15% QC tax.

2.  You need to call Chatr to get your account# because you can't get the account# from self serve online.

3. You need to keep your Chatr account active in order to port your number out.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I just helped a friend port her bc number over, she's in Ontario. no problems.

Best is when you are ready to port, open your old account in another tab so you can copy and paste info. This way you are sure you put the exact info

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There's no restrictions on number selection.  It might affect long distance charges for local residents trying to call you number.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@andreale wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am using Chatr Mobile right now with my phone number from Toronto, ON. I live in Montreal now and want to switch over Public but I would like to keep my old phone number which is from Toronto. I went to few mobile companies already and they had some issues with transferring phone number between different Provinces. I would like to know if Public will be able to transfer the number from Toronto to Montreal or between different Provinces? Does anyone have the same concern or have experienced this?

I went to Wow mobile and ask for the same question but they did not know the answer and said they were not sure about that. Please helpppp !!!

@andreale  Porting your Toronto number to Public Mobile and using it in Montreal is not an issue and can be easily setup 

Make sure you have your CHATR account number, name on account and your CHATR phone number.

Activate your PM sim card with a temp number to make sure everything works to your liking. When ready access your selfserve account and select the change phone number option and setup the port by providing the info from above.

Need Help? Let's chat.