cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally frustrated with setup process

Pam2071
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Step 2 asked me to either select a new number or port an existing number. Based on the advice from community/help articles, I first selected the 'select a new number' option, with the plan that I would change my number and port my number from Bell, HOWEVER, I see a warning message that the 'change my number' service is not currently available on the self-serve web site.

Then, I tried selecting the option to port my number from my current provider during activation, which was NOT recommended in the support articles. The form asked me for an alternate phone number in case there were any problems porting the number. I DON'T HAVE AN ALTERNATE NUMBER. How many people have two mobile phone numbers? At that point I gave up. I tried to submit a ticket, but I have to have an account to do that, but my account signup process failed, so I couldn't do that. 

I am so disappointed right now.

15 REPLIES 15

@Luddite 

I would say no then....bf's activation went smoothly the number was ported in less than 5 min.

@darlicious Nope, not 100% certain an Alternate number is necessary. Just never been willing to risk failure when any phone number will do.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite  and everyone else.....are you absolutely sure you need an alternate number? The bf did not put one in when he ported last August and there were no issues......ive always used one but he didnt even want to use mine......unless things have changed.

@Pam2071 

Just make one up if you dont want to use one....,im sure @Nezgar can give you a good one to use! (Hes our resident voicemail guru) Trust me youll want to save the money! Ive activated 12 people with no issues....except my second line which was a comically bad nightmare but i remember specifically @Luddite  and @ChuckYeah  helping me thru all six hours of it! And guess what....as of two days ago they both cost me $0 per month and today is day 360! Woohoo loyalty kicks in!

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pam2071 You cant give up and waste a SIM like that. I suggest downloading Fongo or TextNow and use that number as your alternative number. Public Mobile will never even call your alternative number they send an email or a txt message to your old number if anythig goes wrong. Alternate numbers are just needed in case they need to contact you. Mostly Every carrier will request a alternative number to port so you cant blame this on Public. You cant give up and say its a hassle because you don't want to put an Alternate number.

Like suggest above there are ways around this. Even ways where you dont need to use a friends or relatives number. But if its too much of a hassle then enjoy the high prices.

Rubymangal

I just set up my service with public mobile and it was quite simple and easy. I felt the alternative phone number was odd but put one in. The rest was history and I’ve got my service set up in 25 minutes. Sorry you had a more experience. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sorry @Pam2071 

There is an announcement staying that until further notice porting from selfserve is suspended (temporarily)

There had been so much sim jacking and I believe that is the reason. Once they have better protection in place it will probably resume.

It's also very good idea to talk to us before, we may have info that is buried in the pile of announcements. There was a chance that somebody would have warned you if you mentioned it was important to port the same day.

Consider getting an alternative phone number with TextNow or fongo, both are great services and you will appreciate them even more if you travel, our international roaming is non existent just USA.

To reach mods directly use https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

pmw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

if you want to port your number from other provider, best way is choose a new number first, then sent message to moderator, give them your name, your number, your account number, they reply quick. i just port my number today, it took less one hour.

@Pam2071 wrote:

I'd love to save the money, but this is just too stressful and it's been a huge waste of my time. This business about supplying an alternate phone number is silly.\

Them asking for an alternate number is a good thing. This provides the carriier a way to contact you. You can simply type in a bunch of nonsense numbers such as 0000000000. They won't try calling a clearly fake number.

Pam2071

Thanks everyone for the replies, but I'm giving up. I don't need the hassle. I just need my cell service to work without any issues; it's my primary means of communication and quite a lot is connected to my phone number. I'd love to save the money, but this is just too stressful and it's been a huge waste of my time. This business about supplying an alternate phone number is silly. It would make more sense to communicate via email or chat if there are any problems. I don't want to bother my friends and relatives by using their phone if things go wrong. I won't be recommending Public Mobile to anyone at this time who wants to keep their current number as long as the setup process remains as it is. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pam2071 ...Wecome to PM. First, take a deep breath, everything will be alright.

Now to answer your question. You have the option to select a new number or port. Porting involves communicating with a PM worker. You used to be able port from your selfseve acct. I would prefer to port later, the choice is yours. I believe you can not leave the secondary number blank. If you dont have another number, you can use any number, but I would pick a relative or a close friend's number

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pam2071 You could use a friends number. The community is not saying that you have to port your number after activation, Their just suggesting to just in case. I wouldn't take that suggestion anymore as Public Mobile has enhanced the porting during activation experience. Almost everyone ports at activation.

You also dont need to have an account to contact Moderators. You just need a community account. Moderators aren't needed here. 

Just wait untill you can re enter the setup process with that SIM and port your number at activation. Use a relatives or friends number as an alternative number. Alternate numbers are just to contact you just in case porting goes wrong.

Pam2071

I don't think leaving the Alternate number field blank is an option; it's marked as a required field.

@Pam2071 Enter any number as Alternate number; mother, friend, enemy, ....

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Pam2071 wrote:

Step 2 asked me to either select a new number or port an existing number. Based on the advice from community/help articles, I first selected the 'select a new number' option, with the plan that I would change my number and port my number from Bell, HOWEVER, I see a warning message that the 'change my number' service is not currently available on the self-serve web site.

Then, I tried selecting the option to port my number from my current provider during activation, which was NOT recommended in the support articles. The form asked me for an alternate phone number in case there were any problems porting the number. I DON'T HAVE AN ALTERNATE NUMBER. How many people have two mobile phone numbers? At that point I gave up. I tried to submit a ticket, but I have to have an account to do that, but my account signup process failed, so I couldn't do that. 

I am so disappointed right now.

@Pam2071 hi try the live chat for activations  on this page  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Pam2071 wait 50 minutes from last attempt, clear your browser history,  go to private/ incognito mode and try again to activate your SIM card. When you come to the section about porting leave the alternate number blank and give them the name on the account,  number to port and the Bell account number. Please note the Bell account must be active to port your number.  The port will close it once its completed.  

Here's 3 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
2.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
3. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.