cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toll free calling

janew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I call a toll-free number that is based in the US, will it charge me long distance minutes?

I have the $25 plan that includes unlimited Canada-wide minutes if that matters.

10 REPLIES 10

FYI a "Fast Busy" (120 IPM) indicates network congestion as opposed to a "Slow Busy" (60 IPM) indicates a busy number. Toll Free calls (as well as any non local Canada Wide call that happens to be included in your calling plan) still use the Long Distance network infrastructure which is much more likely to be overloaded due to Covid-19. So, even if not calling a Government 800 type number it is very possible to run into problems connecting.

AE_Collector

This is another of many inquiries over the past few weeks about calls not completing due to system load. it's all because of increased call volume due to the pandemic.

Various carriers including Telus have posted notices about that they are working to increase inter-carrier call capacity.

One workaround to try since you have canada-wide calling, is to see if there is an alternate direct number you can call, instead of the toll-free number. The call may have to pass through less forwarding hops, and may be more likely to succeed.

Are you trying to call the government like CRA or health line ?  They are getting inundated with calls so you would have to keep redailing.

@nangless, which plan are you on, is it the new Canada wide $25 plan, or one of the older grandfathered provincial ones? Whats the make and model of your phone?  Thanks. Post one of the numbers, so that we can call it to see if it works for us.

nangless
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also have the $25 plan. I have been calling toll-free numbers without any issue for about a week for work meetings. Today I can't connect to any toll-free numbers. I also tried on someone else's phone which is part of the Telus network and that didn't connect either. Is anybody else having these issues?

@darlicious wrote:

@janew  If you were able to take advantage of the free holiday 400 international minutes add on  you'll be covered either way.

That add-on isn't needed for these calls. The receiver is essentially paying for the long distance.

@janew  If you were able to take advantage of the free holiday 400 international minutes add on  you'll be covered either way.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If it does happen that you call someplace where is not included in your plan or if you don't have long distance or three destination is not listed in ld destinations you will get a message that call cannot be completed but you'll never be charged

You will never get charged extra, if it's not included in your plan the call won't go through

I never really paid attention where the numbers are, but all of 18xx calls I made so far went through

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.