cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip: choose good phone number ending with triple figures

magicmedia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just a tip: if u r in B.C., choose New Westminster, and customized last four digits, you can have phone number ending with triple 666,999 or even 1234. 

14 REPLIES 14

@88cranston wrote:

Throttled......you mean Data?

I have read that PM was Telus’s response to the CTRC to offer lower cost mobile plans NOT lower quality. 

Well quite likely so but they can’t just offer identical service for far lower price or everyone moves over leaving much less profit and capital for investment in technology. To me this is the best deal going because if we don’t need the top blazing data speeds we get a much better deal with others paying more than their fair share of the cost of build8ng and improving the network.

Terry

@88cranstonVoLTE uses a different audio codec which is superior to 3G when the signal is weak, it also offers a larger audio range. iPhone has VoLTE since iPhone 6.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Throttled......you mean Data?

I have read that PM was Telus’s response to the CTRC to offer lower cost mobile plans NOT lower quality. 

magicmedia

Agreed.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Honestly speaking, I hope PM is trying to stop spam calls from the US like Lucky mobile does right now. 

@88cranston wrote:

Thanks I don’t think my iPhone SE has that VoLTE according to Apple web site. I was on Telus before. So are you saying PM is of a lesser quality than Telus?

Well in some ways yes it is! Same network but throttled data speed on PM.

And some features not offered such as VoLTE for example.

Terry

Yes most PM plans now include Canada wide LD calling so for calling out you are covered. My point is that there are still many landlines and likely some cell plans that do NOT include LD calling at no charge so for example, choosing a number outside of the Greater Vancouver Toll Free Calling Area could be inconvenient for people calling you. Just because you can call anywhere in Canada at no extra cost that doesn’t mean you can be called from anywhere in Canada at no extra cost.

Terry

88cranston

Thanks I don’t think my iPhone SE has that VoLTE according to Apple web site. I was on Telus before. So are you saying PM is of a lesser quality than Telus?

88cranston

I mean someone calling me long distance say from Toronto. And they have to pay premium rates for LD. But today that is probably irrelevant. Only concern would be for local callers I guess, so I don’t see Amy Vancouver number to be a problem for the lower mainland. 

I should not have any problems with long distance calling out no matter where I am in Canada....correct?

And my caller ID says British Columbia and not my name. I don’t like that either. But name does show if my name and number is in the “call to” contact list. 

@magicmedia wrote:

As long as it’s within B.C., don’t worry about long distance. 

But if you decide that you like a number in Prince George, some of your local Greater Vancouver friends may not be happy with you if they don’t have free LD within BC.

Terry

magicmedia

If you choose New Westminster or othe region, the difference is that when you call someone, the caller display will show that region. As long as it’s within B.C., don’t worry about long distance. 

@88cranstonPublic Mobile doesn't have VoLTE so that might affect voice quality if your phone used to be able to take advantage of that.

88cranston

New Westminster? I am in Maple Ridge and looked for Maple Ridge......Nada.......so I used Vancouver. Really what difference does it make? For some one calling you, long distance?

Nice second comment....better choice for changing your number.  I don’t like this 236 area code😩😩

Will be porting my Telus number once I decide to keep PM. I like the value but have been told reception is fuzzy when calling someone (had 3 bars). 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just FYI to those who are looking to activate with a new number from PM's number pool:

There is a vast difference in options for choosing a number during activation vs. changing your number later in self-serve. During activation, the number selector will show many numbers, adding batches of 5 each time to an accumulating list. As mentioned, it will even give you an option to do a custom search to see if your preferred last 4 digits are available within the exchange you've selected. By contrast, if you try to change your number afterward in self-serve, the selector will only show 5 numbers at a time, and when you refresh, it will replace those with a new batch of 5 numbers instead of adding to the first five. If you see a half-decent number that you sort of like, you may or may not get it back later if you refresh many times.  Also, self-serve does not have the search for customized last 4 digits.

Because of this difference, I always advise new customers to spend some extra time choosing a number they'll be happy with during activation if there's even a small possibility it might become their permanent number. Of course, that is easier when activating from your own device, as opposed to doing it in a store, where you have less control over the whole process, unfortunately. Ideally, PM should be offering the same wide variety of numbers both during and after activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.