cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking to move to Public Mobile

Jason2012
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am currently with Koodo and planning on switching to Public.  A couple questions hope some of you can help.

1. Does the $2 auto refill start on the first months or the second month (first renewal)
  2. Is there a limit on referral credit that you can make.
  3. I travel to the US quite often however I never needed to use my phone outside of wifi.  If I don't have any US package activated, will my phone be conected to the roaming provider?  Will incoming text comes thru? How about inbound phone calls?  In the Koodo world, I would still get the caller ID and know who called (without answering) and to get incoming texts without charge.  Will it be the same there.

Thanks and hopefully there is some good deal on Black Friday.

Jason

31 REPLIES 31

@Ednaroach 

Which is precisely why TELUS, PM and most other providers will be very cautious with what they introduce going forward. TELUS has billions invested in infrastructure and isn't about to launch something that would jeopardize their investment in other areas.

In the past people have commented that they should just make PM 4G/LTE data as "it would cost them nothing". True except for all the losses of customers they would see on the higher priced plans as customers who just have to have LTE speed switch to PM. 

AE_Collector

Ednaroach
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unlimited is the way of the future.Many folks will drop home based internet and wifi .

Certain items such as the data add-on and the $35 plan seem to never get looked at for a makeover. That is pretty much exactly why I am with PM, I had the TELUS Retirees $40/unlimited Canada calling/unlimited texting/1Gb LTE data that wasn't a bad deal when launched in 2014 but then absolutely no changes were made to the plan as every other plan in Canada slowly got better. The one good thing about that is I have referred almost all of my retired TELUS pals over to PM as well now!

AE_Collector

@88cranston wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

What about a much much less expensive DATA add on?

Who can say that the current price is good? Is $30 for 1GB a 2019 or 2009 price?

I am missing your point. I am not talking about 2009, 2019 or current pricing. I am looking at pricing and plans that everyone will love as they can pay (at economic prices) for what they use. 

About 10 years ago, $25 to $30 is around the price for 1GB of data  Price per gigabyte should be down but Public Moble data add-on prices are stuck in the past.

I have a referral (friend at work) who wants to go Public Mobile and would've taken the recent promo (bonus 3GB Data Add-on for new customers) but didn't because only 2 day notice on only 2 day offer. He is now going to wait for next "decent" promo.

PM marketing should realize that new customers arriving here are old customers from somewhere else. And it's hard to entice them with low-cost value plans when they've already paid their monthly phone bill because in practice they're not interested in starting to save money next month by paying twice as much this month. You've gotta give more heads up on the promo and more time for it to stay open if you want more people to respond to it, you just can't rush people into spending money to "save" money and you don't inspire much confidence in the (unknown) PM brand with "pushy" sales tactics. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

Who can say that the current price is good? Is $30 for 1GB a 2019 or 2009 price?

I am missing your point. I am not talking about 2009, 2019 or current pricing. I am looking at pricing and plans that everyone will love as they can pay (at economic prices) for what they use. 

@88cranston wrote:

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

n@darlicious wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

I haven't checked the Red Flag Deal link yet but suspect that a one time 3Gb data extra will get a BiG Raspberry from people who put little effort into "working the angles". To me this allows customers to "live dangerously" selecting a plan that just barely has enough data for them and is therefore an even better price than normal from PM. Most people would not understand that concept opting for a higher priced plan with more data to stay on the safe side as they have been burned by data overages in the past. and most would not understand flipping from one plan to another as frequently as every month if desired.

I do wish PM would do a bit of adjusting to their plans though. The $25 for 1Gb / $35 for 1.5Gb / $40 for 5Gb just makes no sense.  Cant we get to:

$25 1Gb

$30 2Gb

$35 3Gb

$40 5Gb

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  My thoughts exactly.

What about a much much less expensive DATA add on? The back bone to plans seems to be based on DATA. So one way or a other you are paying for something that you will not use. And forget the unlimited data. 

@AE_Collector wrote:

I haven't checked the Red Flag Deal link yet but suspect that a one time 3Gb data extra will get a BiG Raspberry from people who put little effort into "working the angles". To me this allows customers to "live dangerously" selecting a plan that just barely has enough data for them and is therefore an even better price than normal from PM. Most people would not understand that concept opting for a higher priced plan with more data to stay on the safe side as they have been burned by data overages in the past. and most would not understand flipping from one plan to another as frequently as every month if desired.

I do wish PM would do a bit of adjusting to their plans though. The $25 for 1Gb / $35 for 1.5Gb / $40 for 5Gb just makes no sense.  Cant we get to:

$25 1Gb

$30 2Gb

$35 3Gb

$40 5Gb

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  My thoughts exactly.

$25 1Gb

$30 2Gb

$35 3Gb

$40 5Gb

AE_Collector

@will13am wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@Tiana_V @computergeek541 is pretty active on RFD I think this is the thread he was talking about: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-bonus-3gb-one-time-new-accounts-35-plan-n...

I am active also but will only post hot deals if you know what I mean. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, but maybe Public Mobile can start off with something like unlimited data and $25/$25 referrals.

@will13am wrote:

Bravo to you for being daring enough to post the deal knowing that it might not be well received.  You really took one for the team. 

As you know. the things that most people seem to be concerned about that present obstabcles for them being customers are:  3Mbps data speed, no unlimited data, and no call centre

@GinYVR wrote:

@Tiana_V @computergeek541 is pretty active on RFD I think this is the thread he was talking about: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-bonus-3gb-one-time-new-accounts-35-plan-n...

I am active also but will only post hot deals if you know what I mean. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tiana_V wrote:

@computergeek541 that's interesting, could you share a link please? 

@Tiana_V , sure...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-bonus-3gb-one-time-new-accounts-35-plan-...

I'm only pointing this out becasue the marketing department should know what current and potential customers are thinking.  The promotion that just ended was almost universally bashed.  if a promotion is going to be succesful, I would say that Public Mobile can definitely do better.

Bravo to you for being daring enough to post the deal knowing that it might not be well received.  You really took one for the team. 

@Tiana_V wrote:

@Tiana_V , sure...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-bonus-3gb-one-time-new-accounts-35-plan-...

I'm only pointing this out becasue the marketing department should know what current and potential customers are thinking.  The promotion that just ended was almost universally bashed.  if a promotion is going to be succesful, I would say that Public Mobile can definitely do better.

@Tiana_V wrote:

All I can say about black friday so far is to stay tuned for an announcements in the coming weeks 🙂 

I'm hoping any new promotion will be more well received than a recent promotion.  I created a thread to discuss a certain Public Mobile promotion on a shopping discussion website and the results were that 3 people liked the deal, but 19 people didn't.

@Tiana_V wrote:

All I can say about black friday so far is to stay tuned for an announcements in the coming weeks 🙂 

2016 fall promo with augmented data perhaps???  I can hardly wait, my future referrals included.  Smiley Very Happy

@Tiana_V wrote:

Hmm...sounds intreaguing! 🙂

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi Jason2012,

Welcome to our Community! 🙂

Check out our plans and add-ons

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Feel free to send a private message to our moderators!

PM MOD

@darlicious wrote:

@Tiana_V wrote:

@Tiana_V  Oh youre good...thats a old fashioned tease....getting us all excited about the possibilities?!!!

I hope so, we have several forum members holding out for a great "Welcome to Public Mobile" New Customer deals here now!

AE_Collector

@Tiana_V wrote:

@Tiana_V  Oh youre good...thats a old fashioned tease....getting us all excited about the possibilities?!!!

@Jason2012  I think @Dunkman answered yur question best. There should be a good black friday sale probably something along the line of a free month credit and maybe a free sim card too. If public mobile is feeling especially generous and want to thank their loyal customers they throw in a referral bonus... @Tiana_V any influence in this area? You are new....

Only things I can confirm are the double up of Autopay credit soon after you start to refund you for initially paying the full amount. And, you will receive texts while roaming in the US without a US roaming package or plan.

AE_Collector

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jason2012 wrote:

Hi,

I am currently with Koodo and planning on switching to Public.  A couple questions hope some of you can help.

1. Does the $2 auto refill start on the first months or the second month (first renewal)

If enable AutoPay during activation you will get the $2.00 but it won't get applied until your next renewal do you will get $2 + $2 = $4.

1. Is there a limit on referral credit that you can make.

No.

1. I travel to the US quite often however I never needed to use my phone outside of wifi.  If I don't have any US package activated, will my phone be conected to the roaming provider? 

No.

1. Will incoming text comes thru? How about inbound phone calls? 

Unofficially yes but PM can take it away at any point do if you need to receive texts/calls Wyler in the US best to purchase an US roaming addon.

1. In the Koodo world, I would still get the caller ID and know who called (without answering) and to get incoming texts without charge.  Will it be the same there.

Yes.

Thanks and hopefully there is some good deal on Black Friday.

Jason

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Does the $2 auto refill start on the first months or the second month (first renewal)

You will get $4 ($2 x2) on first renewal (2nd month)

Is there a limit on referral credit that you can make.

No. 

I travel to the US quite often however I never needed to use my phone outside of wifi.  If I don't have any US package activated, will my phone be conected to the roaming provider?  Will incoming text comes thru? How about inbound phone calls?  In the Koodo world, I would still get the caller ID and know who called (without answering) and to get incoming texts without charge.  Will it be the same there.

Incoming texts will work.  No inbound phone calls.  You will not get any incoming   voice calls without roaming package. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Jason2012 hey,  the autopay starts on the first month of you set up your credit card during the activation.

2.  You can refer all the friends you like, after you have excided the the total of your plan it will just accumulate in your available funds.

3. In the US without a roaming add on you will just receive the incoming text, not calls! 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Jason2012 

1 - Auto-pay credit starts with 1st month but you don't actually get it until te 2nd month -the 2nd month is a double credit month

2 - No limit. Refer away

3 - Yes your phone will be connected to roaming provider even without a roaming package. You will receive texts. You cannot send texts. You cannot make or receive calls. I don't think you will even be able to see who is calling - but this is one I am not total sure on. 

Need Help? Let's chat.