cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching to PM from Rogers...

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi All.....I have the Rogers 10g plan for $60/month which is great, but I rarely use 2g/month and don't make a ton of phone calls.  Basically I'm a fairly light user I guess.  I have no issues with the service from Rogers, its reliable, fast and I rarely have to call for support, etc. but I'm paying for more than I need and use.  I'm looking at the PM $40/month plan and just wondering how good the 3G service is?  Also, if you active one of the promotional plans, do you have that plan until you cancel or change it to another plan?  I do like the idea of being able to change it up a bit if you find you need more or less data or phone minutes.  Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

BarryS

@stonechucker, thanks for the advice and direction to the knowledge base articles.  That’s exactly what I’m trying to do....make an informed decision!

@BarryS, na informed user will do very well with Public Mobile.  I suggest you read the knowledge base articles.  Everything you need to know, and understand are detailed there.

a number, very many actually, of users fail to do their research first, and get themselves stuck and frustrated as prepaid service is very different from post paid.

BarryS

Thanks very much everyone for the quick answers to my questions. Seems like a great community!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BarryS pay for what you need. You could get any of the LTE plans try it out for a week or so then port your number.  If you decide to switch you will be saving $20 / month.

On top of that if you have a friend with pm you can get a free 10$ referal bonus.(or ask someone in this threaf) Add auto pay and you are laughing.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@BarryS wrote:

Hi All.....I have the Rogers 10g plan for $60/month which is great, but I rarely use 2g/month and don't make a ton of phone calls.  Basically I'm a fairly light user I guess.  I have no issues with the service from Rogers, its reliable, fast and I rarely have to call for support, etc. but I'm paying for more than I need and use.  I'm looking at the PM $40/month plan and just wondering how good the 3G service is?  Also, if you active one of the promotional plans, do you have that plan until you cancel or change it to another plan?  I do like the idea of being able to change it up a bit if you find you need more or less data or phone minutes.  Thanks!

I also came from Rogers, not the 10GB plan I shared 2.5 with my wife.  I have also had a month on the 3G plan and didn't notice anything when doing my day to day activities.  My son and 2 nephews are on a 3G plan as well and if teenagers don't complain about it I think it is going ok lol.  Any other questions we can answer for you or should we just welcome you to the PM community as a new customer and community member!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This discussion is not complete without mentioning that in recent times, there have been numerous migration offers to Koodo that are very good.  Many customers have contemplated getting the service just to participate in potential future offers.  That said, past performance is not a guarantee for future results.  It is an intangible worth thinking about but not something that should be viewed as guaranteed. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BarryS

Before switching from Rogers to PM, please check on your phone supported frequenies.  If you have a very old Rogers phone which works with Rogers GSM(2G).  It may not work with PM because PM/Telus network does not support GSM(2G).

https://willmyphonework.net

If you phone is locked to Rogers, call Rogers to unlock your phone first.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@BarryS PM 3G speed is basically a lite LTE. You will get LTE signal but the speed will be throttled to 3mbps. I have tested 3G with several tests on web pages load times, hd videos, emails, etc. and i barely saw any difference. 

If you sign up today, your plan likely won't change in the future, but as always, no guarantee. If you see a better promo or you figure you need more data, you can change it easily. 

More info on 3G speed: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

Need Help? Let's chat.