cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching over and had a few questions

MPuser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I've been with one of the major telcos for the last few years and as someone that isn't a poweruser, all of their plans have been overpriced for what I need. I'd love to switch to a smaller provider but I have a few questions before doing so.

1) How do I go about contacting customer support if there's a big issue (billing issue, overcharge, etc)? I understand there are these forums where users assist each other, however in the event of a large mistake where someone is needed to be held accountable, who would I reach out to since there appears to be no phone numbers or physical locations?

2) I'm thinking of starting off with the $15 plan (100 min, unlimited text, 250mb), however I may need more data in the future. This brings up two questions, A) Will this effect the yearly discount ($1 year loyalty discount) if I switch to another (public mobile) plan? B) Is there a way to work with a representative to create a custom plan at all?

3) My current phone (a Samsung S4 SGH-i337M) doesn't seem to be listed as a supported device, which I kind of find it hard to believe since the phone is only a few years old. A) Can someone confirm this? B) What will the process be if later down the line I purchase a new phone and want to move my sim over to that? Anything need to be updated on my account's end?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

MPuser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't need a person to talk to per se, but what I do need is the ability for real support in the inevitable circumstance issues arise. Even in this thread alone Rachel describes having issues porting over her existing number with lack of moderator communication and response, and I can find other cases of numbers being stuck in limbo between carriers with nothing happening for weeks. How do I know those issues are being looking into and resolved actively? If I'm paying for a service, I expect the service to work for what exactly I'm paying for. 

I'm also realistic and understand mistakes occur, and I don't expect any company to be flawless, but I don't want to be hung out to dry with absolutely no service and no recourse from the company.

RachelE
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@geopublic wrote:

@RachelE wrote:

Oh God! Don't do it!

I am a web designer and amnimator but still can't figure out this horrible interface. I have been trying to port a Koodo number for days because, like you, I'm a pretty light user, but there's no way to get a hold of a moderator and it beats the heck out of me how you send a ticket via the ? function - It just seems to be an endless loop of no action. 

Super frustrating and so far, not even vaguely worth the gargantuan effort to get set up.

@RachelE 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

I  believe I have done this a couple times over the past two days, as well as tried to submit  tickets, but I haven't heard from anyone.

I haven't contacted all the moderators, though, so thank you for the link.

@RachelE wrote:

Oh God! Don't do it!

I am a web designer and amnimator but still can't figure out this horrible interface. I have been trying to port a Koodo number for days because, like you, I'm a pretty light user, but there's no way to get a hold of a moderator and it beats the heck out of me how you send a ticket via the ? function - It just seems to be an endless loop of no action. 

Super frustrating and so far, not even vaguely worth the gargantuan effort to get set up.

@RachelE 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

RachelE
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh God! Don't do it!

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

As a fellow non-power user, I recently switched to P.M.'s $15 plan, also to save a few bucks on something I don't really need all the extras. My only concern, is that the plan allows ONLY 100 outgoing minutes, and that calls to retrieve voicemail count against those same 100 minutes. Had it been, say 200 - 250 minutes, and no penalty for retrieving voicemail, it would've been perfect for me.

@CannonFodder,  you can also add the $5 500 Canada wide minute add-on to assist with this plan.  These add-on minutes do not expire and will remain on your account until fully consumed.  So some months you may need them and others you might not.  It is a great security blanket for this $15 plan if you have outgoing call limit concerns

Awesome! Thanks Shawn.... wasn't aware of that!!! Smiley Very Happy

That's something that doesn't seem to be mentioned on the site(unless I've COMPLETELY missed it?), other than in the community forums, i.e. the un-used portions of add-ons rolling over month to month, until they've been consumed. Personally, I'd think that it ought to be VERY visible, because that alone could sway potential customers to P.M. I only found out about the Merry Xmas add-ons rolling over 'til they're all used, by reading posts here.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@MPuser wrote:

Hello, I've been with one of the major telcos for the last few years and as someone that isn't a poweruser, all of their plans have been overpriced for what I need. I'd love to switch to a smaller provider but I have a few questions before doing so.

2) I'm thinking of starting off with the $15 plan (100 min, unlimited text, 250mb), however I may need more data in the future. This brings up two questions, A) Will this effect the yearly discount ($1 year loyalty discount) if I switch to another (public mobile) plan? B) Is there a way to work with a representative to create a custom plan at all?

3) My current phone (a Samsung S4 SGH-i337M) doesn't seem to be listed as a supported device, which I kind of find it hard to believe since the phone is only a few years old.

Thanks!

As a fellow non-power user, I recently switched to P.M.'s $15 plan, also to save a few bucks on something I don't really need all the extras. My only concern, is that the plan allows ONLY 100 outgoing minutes, and that calls to retrieve voicemail count against those same 100 minutes. Had it been, say 200 - 250 minutes, and no penalty for retrieving voicemail, it would've been perfect for me.

As for your S4, as others have said, it'll work fine..... I'm using an even older S3, and it works as expected. Just for lolz, I'll have to stick the SIM in an even older Galaxy Ace and give it a whirl too.... I expect it'll work, since it did when I was on Lucky Mobile.

@CannonFodder,  you can also add the $5 500 Canada wide minute add-on to assist with this plan.  These add-on minutes do not expire and will remain on your account until fully consumed.  So some months you may need them and others you might not.  It is a great security blanket for this $15 plan if you have outgoing call limit concerns

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Stay Safe!

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@MPuser wrote:

3) My current phone (a Samsung S4 SGH-i337M) doesn't seem to be listed as a supported device, which I kind of find it hard to believe since the phone is only a few years old.

Thanks!

As for your S4, as others have said, it'll work fine..... I'm using an even older S3, and it works as expected. Just for lolz, I'll have to stick the SIM in an even older Galaxy Ace and give it a whirl too.... I expect it'll work, since it did when I was on Lucky Mobile.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MPuser wrote:

1) How do I go about contacting customer support if there's a big issue (billing issue, overcharge, etc)? I understand there are these forums where users assist each other, however in the event of a large mistake where someone is needed to be held accountable, who would I reach out to since there appears to be no phone numbers or physical locations?

@MPuser  You need to submit a ticket as follows:

stpm-new.png

2) I'm thinking of starting off with the $15 plan (100 min, unlimited text, 250mb), however I may need more data in the future. This brings up two questions, A) Will this effect the yearly discount ($1 year loyalty discount) if I switch to another (public mobile) plan? No, rewards are associated with your account and not your plan so you can change plans as many times as you wish without affecting your rewards.

B) Is there a way to work with a representative to create a custom plan at all? No, PM does not offer custom plans anymore. But if you signup before the 25th you will get an additional 1GB data add-on that doesn't expire until used up and a 400 LD add-on that also stays in your account until used up. If you need additional calling minutes you can purchase a 500 minute add-on for $5.

3) My current phone (a Samsung S4 SGH-i337M) doesn't seem to be listed as a supported device, which I kind of find it hard to believe since the phone is only a few years old. A) Can someone confirm this? Yes, it will work.

B) What will the process be if later down the line I purchase a new phone and want to move my sim over to that? Anything need to be updated on my account's end?

No, you just insert the existing sim in your new phone.

Thanks!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@MPuser 

You can contact moderator by submitting ticket to deal with customer service or account issues.  Usualy takes few hours to 1-2 days to respond depending on how busy the moderators are. 

a) change of plans will not  loyalty or autopay or friend rewards.

b) No customizable plans at this time.

3) My current phone (a Samsung S4 SGH-i337M) doesn't seem to be listed as a supported device, which I kind of find it hard to believe since the phone is only a few years old. A) Can someone confirm this? B) What will the process be if later down the line I purchase a new phone and want to move my sim over to that? Anything need to be updated on my account's end?

samsung s4 will work with PM.  b)just need to put Sim card in other new phone. 

Thanks!

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@MPuser wrote:

Thanks!

1) You can click the "?" in lower right side of the page to talk with moderator and receive assistance. Type 'contact moderator" then follow directions. The moderator may help you with your case. They get back to you in 1-3 hours.

2) A)Your loyalty discount depends on how long you are with Public Mobile, but not with a particular phone plan, so no worries to switch to another plan in the future as you loyalty will continue to grow. B) You can Select the plans PM proposes and then, add addons to it through your self-service account. As I know for now, there is no way to work with a representative to create a custom plan.

3) A) I have ancient Samsung Galaxy J1 and pretty new Redmi Note 8 (which is not on the list), and they both work perfectly with PM. Also, you can go to store and ask a seller to test your phone first with PM before buying SIM. B) Nothing special to do, just insert your SIM into a new phone.

Hope it helps!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@MPuser wrote:

Thanks!

Public Mobile has no actual call center...any problems are addressed using the Community Forums or Simple Simon and the Moderator Team. If having a person to talk to for your concerns is important to you...maybe PM isn't the best option for you.

You can easily upgrade your plan later without losing rewards. There's no custom plans here....look up at top of page for "Plans".

Need Help? Let's chat.