cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you, Forum! How I Successfully Ported from Rogers...

Mystery
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
After reading posts upon posts, I finally activated my second sim yesterday, and ported from Rogers tonight after about 10 years with them. Although I had to give up a pretty good Corp350 plan, I needed more data from my mere 150gb!

I bought two PM sims, and activated a new number for my son, and tested the network for a week...even so-called spotty areas around Vancouver were not an issue (including my home, but I'm on Wi-Fi anyways). I ported my secondary Rogers line to Telus today (to get a subsidized phone husband really needed) before I could port my primary line. But I activated the second sim with a new number yesterday and sat on it for a day before making the switch. Ported over tonight using the Change Number option in Self Serve. After one slight glitch (more on that....), I tried again and port went through.

My tips on porting from Rogers (and porting in general):

1. Activate sim first, then port later.
2. Port any secondary lines before primary lines.
3. The Rogers account should be typed without the hyphens. (Although most of the bill has the account number hyphenated, the online view does not. With the hyphens, I got the "We are experiencing difficulty processing....contact Public Mobile for assistance").
4. Skip the IMEI verification field. My IMEI on my Rogers account was always inaccurate, and unless you check it first, entering the wrong IMEI could render problems. (However, you may get away with typing the IMEI as listed on your account just to verify for the port. I opted not to risk this and left it out altogether).
5. Leave the PIN field blank. Didn't know what that meant (my voicemail?)
6. Leave your home number as the alternate number. Anything but not your to-be-ported number (makes sense, right?)
7. Name on your bill as stated after "Welcome, XXXXXX XXXXXXX". Type it in all caps as listed on your bill. Might not make a difference, but ,again, why risk it.

It took about the 30 seconds as indicated to process. Then something appeared indicating success. I waited about 10 minutes for the PM text to greet me that my line was in effect. But it took me that long to realize I probably should power down both phones and restart ( I was moving carriers AND swapping phones).

Not looking back, Rogers! Glad to join this community!
7 REPLIES 7

I say leave this one as is @Mystery, but I meant in addition to this, maybe post at the other thread. It's more just details on how long it took, from what carrier, etc. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

Mystery
Thanks @daredogg!. I couldn't find this thread after I came across it last week.

I will copy and paste it over there, if that's allowed, or does a mod need to move the thread over? Given they are so busy, might be out of scope?

There's a thread where people are sharing their successful porting stories... maybe you'd like to post on there?  

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Successful-Ports-Thread/m-p/85720#U85720

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hear you on the loyalty @Mystery! I've made the same comment before, one of the best things about PM, aside from their aggressive pricing on a full coverage network, is that they seem to value loyalty, like how they offer the promos to existing customers while still grandfathering for those who want thier old plans.

(The other nice thing is that PM doesn't do that regional pricing bs like most of the others do. where they charge less in markets that have a regional player.)

Mystery
LOL....yes, I meant 150mb! Good catch @daredogg!

I just hope my post gives encouragement to jump ship. Although I have never complained about Roger"s wireless network and coverage, I really had to work hard for years to have Roger's "respect" me as a customer (if one should assume loyalty can be convinced of instead of earned; loyalty was a definite pull, not a push).

In this wireless age, being a new customer is more advantageous than being a loyal, grandfathered one. PM offers a refreshing business model that should appeal to those feeling restricted by their previous provider. The Community here is truly functional, and I appreciate being part of PM's growing pains in becoming the People's Mobility!

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Did you say a mere 150gb?!?! lol  I think you meant mb in this case or else why would you switch to PM.

Thanks for sharing your experience, especially about skipping the IMEI part. Heard a lot of issues that the number may be wrong especially if you've used your SIM with multiple phones. Also, the PIN, you're right, who remembers that?

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice to hear a good success story, and thanks for sharing your learnings @Mystery!

Welcome to Public Mobile, think you are going to like it here 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.