cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting not working when changing province

rodjdurand
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Went on a small trip from Manitoba to Saskatchewan. Was able to send and receive texts shortly after crossing the border in the afternoon but stopped working in the evening. Could still send pictures through data. Texting was impossible until one hour after we got back home.  We even tried some phone calls and that didn't work. Signal strength wasn't the strongest but was decent.

I've got unlimited texting and 100 minutes of calling (had only used 18 minutes). I am also on autopay and the payment was made halfway through our 4 day trip.

Is this a problem that can be resolved? Has anyone had this happen? I travel a few times per year across Canada and would like my phone to work while out of province.

7 REPLIES 7

rodjdurand

Checked the covergage map and that doesn't seem to be the issue. The signal strength was pretty decent throughout the trip.

rodjdurand

That seems like an annoying fix especially since I haven't changed countries. I would still be on the same network and doesn't seem like this would be necessary.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rodjdurand wrote:

Went on a small trip from Manitoba to Saskatchewan. Was able to send and receive texts shortly after crossing the border in the afternoon but stopped working in the evening. Could still send pictures through data. Texting was impossible until one hour after we got back home.  We even tried some phone calls and that didn't work. Signal strength wasn't the strongest but was decent.

I've got unlimited texting and 100 minutes of calling (had only used 18 minutes). I am also on autopay and the payment was made halfway through our 4 day trip.

Is this a problem that can be resolved? Has anyone had this happen? I travel a few times per year across Canada and would like my phone to work while out of province.

@rodjdurand This should have never happened. Even during plan renewal you service will work including calls/text and data. You should check your usage logs to see if your calls and/or calls were logged during this period.

Best to message the moderator team and describe what happened and ask them to check your account for any provision issues.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@rodjdurand wrote:

Were you in an area that had Telus or Bell Towers?  Could it have been that you didn't have service?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

d_kindo

@rodjdurand wrote:

I'd start with checking the coverage map and see if the area you were in was on the fringes. SMS messaging typically doesn't have the error detection/correction of data, just a message received check. If your signal is weak then it's possible that your phone wasn't able to get confirmation that it had the whole message so your texts "backed up".

Try the old "Find high ground/get out of the car" to boost signal if you can, but in more remote and rocky areas, without line of sight you may lose contact. No different than with any other carrier, just geography.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@rodjdurandI would just keep an eye for it.. usually doing renewal time there is a period where phone / texting service won't work. Perhaps it conicide with the time you lost basic voice / text service?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rodjdurand wrote:

Have you tried rebooting your phone, that might help. 

You can also try the lost/stolen trick.  Log into your account and select plans/add-ons, select phone lost tab and suspend and log out.  Log back in and report phone found and restart your phone.  This may help to reset the account and sim.

Need Help? Let's chat.