cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting not working in USA but phone is

Redfisher
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Travelling in USA and had purchased a US roaming plan with cell and texting.  ($15 addon). My cell is working so I can make and receive calls but I am not able to receive texts from almost everyone I have texted.   Notice almost everyone.....I am recieving a few texts.    I have an IPhone 5s, have done a full shutdown and have turned everything off and on numerous times.  Any help appreciated as the texting is what I really would like to have.  

11 REPLIES 11

Redfisher

I have turned off “iMessage” and have “MMS Messaging” on.  Getting messages from both people with iPhones and androids but still only about 1/4 of my regular texters can send to me.  Am going to try a moderator as this is kind of of useless addon if I can’t text.  

@Redfisher wrote:

So my US cell and data plans are both showing as there.   My usage shows all my cell calls in and out plus all my texts both in and out. All texts show as MMS types both in and out but I still can’t receive at least 90% of my texts that people are trying to send me.   I do receive the odd text and can reply fine to those but my kids and other friends have called me because I am not getting their texts but they have received mine.  Very frustrating to say the least.    

In your original post, you mentioned that you only got call and texting add-on.  You are probably seeing your regular plan data but that isn't useable in the US so if the messages are iMessage or MMS you wouldn't be able to get them unless you are in a wi-fi area.  Have you been able to send an iMessage or MMS while not on wifi?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Redfisher

All my messages I have received or sent show up as MMS messages.  The few I am receiving are from both Apple and Android phones so no pattern there.  

Redfisher

So my US cell and data plans are both showing as there.   My usage shows all my cell calls in and out plus all my texts both in and out. All texts show as MMS types both in and out but I still can’t receive at least 90% of my texts that people are trying to send me.   I do receive the odd text and can reply fine to those but my kids and other friends have called me because I am not getting their texts but they have received mine.  Very frustrating to say the least.    

@CannonFodder wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@Redfisher you should turn on mms and group messaging.

Will that somehow help, if the OP's add-on has no data?

Depends on whether the USA roaming requires a data add-on for MMS. In Canada, a data plan is not required for MMS.

iMessages require wifi/data plan in both Canada/USA but should revert to SMS without data provided both phones have "Send as SMS" activated AND have "Send & Receive" set to use the cell phone number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@gblackma wrote:

Will that somehow help, if the OP's add-on has no data?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-am-i-not-receiving-text-messages-on-my-iphone

@Redfisher wrote:

Travelling in USA and had purchased a US roaming plan with cell and texting.  ($15 addon). My cell is working so I can make and receive calls but I am not able to receive texts from almost everyone I have texted.   Notice almost everyone.....I am recieving a few texts.    I have an IPhone 5s, have done a full shutdown and have turned everything off and on numerous times.  Any help appreciated as the texting is what I really would like to have.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Redfisher  Go into your iMessage settings and make sure SMS is turned on.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

That's a new one to me, as you don't need the add-on to receive sms. Are they MMS? As MMS or even iMessage require data.

Are the ones you don't get from apple android or both?

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Redfisher  Any chance you, or others that are texting you, are using iMessage, which also, apparently, requires data, which your add-on doesn't have?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Redfisher wrote:

If you have access to Wifi are you able to verify that the texting portion was added.  I know you say you are receiving some texts but PM has stated that you would be able to receive texts even without purchasing the Roaming add-on.  Are they just regular SMS or are the ones you are sending and not receiving MMS?  If it is MMS that you aren't getting you will need to turn your data on and being in the states and not purchasing that option it may not allow you to send or receive MMS as they require data

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.