cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text not working - going through VERY slow

anikapink
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just signed up a couple phones today.  My son has an iPhone 5c and we set him up with the Unlimited Talk/Text plan.  If I click his wifi off to use his plan, it takes 5+ minutes just for a simple "testing" text to go through from my phone (rogers) to his (PM) BUT after 15 minutes, the "testing" text from his phone came up with a message "failed to send".  (for example, I texted him without wifi at 1:45pm and it didn't show up on his phone until 1:50pm).

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a setting I need to change.  Also, how will his phone handle messages when he's on wifi (using iMessage) and then leaving wifi and having messages go through?  How can we make sure his phone is transitioning like that?

I have 2 other kids' phones to set up with PM but a little nervous to activate them all if we can't get them working.  

6 REPLIES 6

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

It could be the phone settings. Check the settings and see how often it tries to recieve message.

oobymach

Sadly most phones today have too much background software running to function properly, I would suggest checking to see if an app (or many apps) is running that shouldn't be, try closing some windows if you have multiple windows opened on the device, run a memory freeing app to close unnecessary stuff, make sure there's no updates downloading.

The problem may also be out of your control, it may be that your local cell tower is simply overloaded because everyone nowadays has smart phones.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Even if your son doesn't have data try turning on data. It may help.

ODog

Hey there,

So first I should ask, are you texting him with your phone using iMessage (blue colour). If you are that might account for some delay. If your son is able to on his phone, turn on cellular. Because public mobile is a prepaid service you can’t get charge for the smigets of data the phone might use. This might allow the message to go through, or it might not. Depends on how public mobile allows their users to use data for system services. When I was with Rogers prepared I had the unlimited text plan. But I always kept data on so that I could send pictures and imesssges. Even though I didn’t have data purchased for the account I was still able to do this without being charged. If you are sending it as a text message (green box) then he might as well also have his data off because the switching between data on and then off and iMessage being used and then not used can be come very complicated...thanks Apple 🙄. A hard reset can always help, it could get rid of any little errors that might be in the way. If you hold the home button and power button simultaneously for 10 seconds the apple logo should appear and it will reboot. 

As for your question about iMessage, I could honestly spend hours explaining all the different scenarios that can occur when switching to and fro. If your son is texting someone with iMessage and then leaves the house, his texts will try to go through but will eventually fail. Once this happens you should hold firmly down on the message he is trying to send until some options appear. One should be to “send as text message”. Once he clicks that it should go through fine. Also, if someone tries to text him with iMessage and he is out and about, the text being sent sometimes goes through as a text message when it realizes that iMessage won’t work and other times he just won’t receive it until he accesses wifi again.  Like I said, the way iMessage works you never really know what it is going to do. 

A good rule of thumb is to always send texts as a text message, not an iMessage. 

Hope this might help a bit. 

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@anikapink wrote:

Just signed up a couple phones today.  My son has an iPhone 5c and we set him up with the Unlimited Talk/Text plan.  If I click his wifi off to use his plan, it takes 5+ minutes just for a simple "testing" text to go through from my phone (rogers) to his (PM) BUT after 15 minutes, the "testing" text from his phone came up with a message "failed to send".  (for example, I texted him without wifi at 1:45pm and it didn't show up on his phone until 1:50pm).

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a setting I need to change.  Also, how will his phone handle messages when he's on wifi (using iMessage) and then leaving wifi and having messages go through?  How can we make sure his phone is transitioning like that?

I have 2 other kids' phones to set up with PM but a little nervous to activate them all if we can't get them working.  @anikapink not an iphone user here..but is there a setting to use sms when imessage isnt available?

Danitoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wifi status has nothing to do with talk or text but when I had my iphone 4, cellular data had to be ON for texts to send, even though i did not have data.

Need Help? Let's chat.