cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messaging

MelanieM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently purchased the text plan for my daughter. No data. I cannot figure out how to send a text message from an iPhone to another iPhone without it wanting to send as an iMessage. I was her to be able to send and receive texts and myself to be able to receive texts and not iMessages. We both have iPhones. 

8 REPLIES 8

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What plan is your daughter on? When she or you are on her Self Serve account view, what do you see? 

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It sounds like your texting is not properly working. What's the status of the SIM and plan? Are you having service?

@MelanieM go into settings find messages press, there will be a toggle it will say imessage toggle on, now scroll down a few and you will see send as sms toggle that on also that will send as sms when imessage is unavaliable

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MelanieM wrote:

I recently purchased the text plan for my daughter. No data. I cannot figure out how to send a text message from an iPhone to another iPhone without it wanting to send as an iMessage. I was her to be able to send and receive texts and myself to be able to receive texts and not iMessages. We both have iPhones. 

@MelanieM Because you don’t have a data plan, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead. To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:
Connect to the internet using WiFi
Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF
Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on
Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON
Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON

MelanieM

I have already tried that and still giving me the same message. I have tried restarting the phone. Taking out the SIM card and putting it back in. Then the iMessage toggle hangs and says waiting for activation.

MelanieM

It won’t even let me do that. It says cannot send message. iMessage needs to be enabled. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MelanieM wrote:

You need to disable iMessage in order to use your phone's text message.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-iphone-messages-text-instead-imessage-72300.html

1. Open the Settings application by tapping the "Settings" icon on your iPhone's home screen.
2. Tap the "Messages" row to open the Messages screen.
3. Tap the switch next to "iMessage" so that it reads "Off." Your iPhone will now send all messages in text message format instead of using the iMessage service. All changes are automatically saved to your device.

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MelanieM wrote:

I have an iPhone too and it is annoying when it sends an iMessage when I have no Wifi connection...

To bypass it sending as iMessage, send your message and as soon as you do, press and hold on your message and tap "Send as Text Message".

Need Help? Let's chat.