cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary plan while visiting Canada

ekenne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an unlocked iPhone that uses a nano-SIM card. I use this phone with another carrier in the USA. I will be visiting Canada and my current USA cell phone plan does not cover travel in Canada. Would I be able to use a Public Mobile plan for voice, text/msg, and data only while I am in Canada. If I pay the monthly plan cost may I then cancel this plan when I return to the USA? Would there be any other costs, besides the cost of the monthly plan, involved in doing this?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

London drugs or Wal-mart (some locations) can sell you the PM SIM card (for $10), a 30-day Plan (for $10 to $60), a Canada & USA Long Distance Add-on (for $8 or $15, if you need/want it) - and they can activate, configure, and test everything on your phone before you walk out of the store.

Remember there's taxes on everything, lol.  No other hidden costs. 

You need to have an unlocked phone which is compatible with Telus radio frequencies

and isn't blacklisted (reported as lost/stolen/etc). 

You also need a valid email address.  The vendor might require ID and stuff but Public Mobile doesn't. 

You'll be assigned (or can choose) some random phone number from the pool. If you want to keep your existing number then you'll have to apply for a Mobile Number Port, I'm not sure if it can be done (or how long it would take) with numbers from outside Canada. (and don't forget that your existing USA number may expire if you abandon it for too long).

If you activate it yourself then you'll have to configure your APN settings, etc. Maybe somebody in Canada can get it all set up for you, cash in on a referral (and save you ten bucks, too, lol). 

Have a quick look in the newspaper kiosks at the airport. Ask if they sell PM sims.

ekenne

Thanks! I checked that link (but the English version) and found those stores you mentioned. I don't know why the other link didn't find them, but now I know where I can get a SIM when I come to Canada!

Thanks, again! Smiley Happy

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are many places where you can get Public Mobile SIM in Quebec like Walmart.

At Walmart they will also activate it for you.

28 places near Montreal (Quebec) Use https://www.publicmobile.ca/fr/qc/store-locator

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/store-locator

GR
Mayor / Maire

@ekenne   any Walmart, London drugs, wow mobile shop  and I think there's 1 or 2 public mobile kiosks in Quebec 

ekenne

Thanks for the information! I tried the link you provided but, unfortunately, there are no Public retailers in either Ontario or Quebec, which were the regions I would be visiting, so I guess I'll have to get a SIM online before I visit Canada.

Thanks, again!

@ekenne wrote:

thanks for that information! I was wondering where to get a SIM and hadn't read your answer before I asked a question about that...

Try PM's store locator: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ekenne

thanks for that information! I was wondering where to get a SIM and hadn't read your answer before I asked a question about that...

ekenne

thanks for the info!

can a SIM be purchased in stores, like grocery stores or the Bay or Walmart (if you have them in Canada...not sure about that...) or can they only be purchased driectly from Public?

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As Public Mobile is a prepaid service with no contract, you really do not have to cancel, because the account will automaticly cancel 90 days after it runs out of money.   Your can get a SIM card from eBay, so you will have it handy for Canada.

You can get a $60 plan that will work in the US also.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@ekenne hi yes you can, there will only be the cost of the sim and plan no other costs or overage just let the plan expire when you leave and remove cc if you put one on file Smiley Happy or you can buy vouchers at walmart and dozens of other places and not worry about a credit card at all 

Need Help? Let's chat.