cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary PM phone number

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I recently bought a PM SIM. Had it activated with a new phone number.  Talk, Text and Data (after setting the APN) are all working OK. Already getting many random incoming calls from unknown numbers. No voice messages have been left. Not sure if they are spam/phishing calls. I blocked them. Plan to port phone number over from a Freedom Mobile postpaid account. Question: what happens to the PM number after porting is successful?  Tried self-service to change number but got red message that I must contact a moderator to do it. Read community posts which indicate it is because PM has on-going maintenance issues. That gives me second thoughts about porting. I don't want to lose my Freedom number. Any suggestion or reassurance will be welcomed.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Temporary PM phone number

Thank you to Community for providing helpful information.

I sent private message to the Moderator Team. Got a reply early this morning. Porting is now all done. I have tested all the functions that I know. No problems. Moderator was very patient and helpful.

It's now time for me to consider setting up AutoPay.

@hyT...good idea to use Autopay if you have a valid credit card. It's a convenient way to pay your 30 day renewal and you'll save $2 each renewal.

Some seasoned PM'er will still manually add $$ ahead of time to their Available Funds to minimize occurrence of occasional renewal upsets. The renewal process will take that money first and you'll still get the $2 Autopay reward.

Welcome to PM.

hyT

Thank you to Community for providing helpful information.

I sent private message to the Moderator Team. Got a reply early this morning. Porting is now all done. I have tested all the functions that I know. No problems. Moderator was very patient and helpful.

It's now time for me to consider setting up AutoPay.

hyT

An update for the community:

No ?button is seen at the bottom of page. I use FireFox browser on a Windows 10 desktop.

I clicked one of the links from community replies and got to chatbot Simon. When I asked for porting my number, got directed to Private Message. I left a message to Moderator Team.

No form to fill in. Waiting for reply. Not sure if Moderators work on weekends or if Covid19 is making them super busy. It is Saturday afternoon. Shall wait for reply till Monday. Hope private message got through to Moderator Team. Thank you for community replies.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@hyT Porting failure is usually because the customer made a mistake. What happens to the Public Mobile temporary number? It gets lost when port request is submitted.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@hyT wrote:

I recently bought a PM SIM. Had it activated with a new phone number.  Talk, Text and Data (after setting the APN) are all working OK. [snip]

Plan to port phone number over from a Freedom Mobile postpaid account. Question: what happens to the PM number after porting is successful?

Not sure what you're referring to there..... if you port a Freedom number into your PM account, your Freedom number is then your PM number. That number you currently have on your PM account will go back into their available pool of numbers, at some later date, to be re-used by someone else.

Tried self-service to change number but got red message that I must contact a moderator to do it. Read community posts which indicate it is because PM has on-going maintenance issues. That gives me second thoughts about porting. I don't want to lose my Freedom number. Any suggestion or reassurance will be welcomed.

Well, if you attempt to port in a number from Freedom, the only way you'll lose that number, is if your Freedom account has already been canceled, before you do the port. If active at the time of the port, the number will come over to PM, and your Freedom account will then be closed. As you already have read, at this point in time, you HAVE TO get a Moderator to port a number, and @JoyLuck  's advice is fine, other than, apparently your best idea would be to type in "port request", as per this announcement: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-... 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Please contact a Moderator who can access your account to assist you with the number porting.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page

Step 2: Tell “Simon”what the issue is

Step 3: Ask for “Moderator””

Step 4: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 5: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 6: Create your ticket

After submission, monitor your private message box in the top right hand corner by selecting the envelop icon.The Moderator’s reply will be in your inbox folder. Your sent folder will contain your ticket submission.

Some web browser are a bit finicky with contacting SIMon, therefore you can use this link to contact a moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.