cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus customer transfer to PM

melody
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi guys,

I am planing to transfer from Telus to Public Mobile. Can I still keep the same phone number? I am using iphone 7 plus currently. Do I need to order a new SIM card here?

Thank you for your help!

8 REPLIES 8

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@vernonli wrote:

Hi, I was a telus customer that transferred to PM. No problems with port. When I signed up, i put my telus account number, PIN and IMEI of phone and instantly ported in 15 minutes. I don't think you'll need to get a new number. It'll be a lot of work. Most importantly, do not cancel your telus account, PM will do it for you when you port.

I believe the recommendation at the moment (for EVERYBODY) is to get a new number and make sure that activation succeeds first, and then do a port from self-service after.  Because if you try to port on activation and something weird goes on during activation, you could be stuck without working service anywhere.  At least if PM activation fails, and you haven't ported over yet, you can continue to use your old phone till you get the activation issue sorted out.

vernonli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I was a telus customer that transferred to PM. No problems with port. When I signed up, i put my telus account number, PIN and IMEI of phone and instantly ported in 15 minutes. I don't think you'll need to get a new number. It'll be a lot of work. Most importantly, do not cancel your telus account, PM will do it for you when you port.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I still don't beleive that's true. Did you read the last post from the oracle on the thread you linked. They don't share a computer system like Koodo and PM do.

hslee1210
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Rockdaddy22 I remember when I was activating my SIM, it asked whether I want to get a new number or port my old number.

It also said if the number is from Telus or Koodo, the instruction was to pick "new number". Then, port "old number" over either by getting moderator's help or self porting.

See a link below for one of previous posts as well.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Telus-to-Public-Mobile-questions-porting/m...

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I don't believe any workaround is required for Telus, only Koodo. @hslee1210

And my current favourite: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/The-Guide-to-Headache-Free-PM-Signup/m...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Yes you will need a new sim and yes you can port your number to this new service.  Here is a good place to start

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hslee1210
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, you can keep the same number and you need a new SIM card.

For Telus and Koodo customers, read the instructions carefully. You need to get a new number. Then, request for porting your old number over.

It will show you during the activation process.

To start with, you need to order a SIM card first, which costs $5. 

Good luck! 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.