cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone repeatly call number 9025804001 by itself

SonPham
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I justed activated Public Mobile Plan: "$10 / 30 days / 50 minutes / 50 texts" in a Walmart store a few days ago. I check "my usage" on Public Mobile web site and found that my phone is calling a number 9025804001 by itself repeatedly, also it showed that I have used 5 minutes of my 50 monthly minutes (10%). I have captured a sample below from "my usage". I checked in my phone history and there are no outgoing calls to 9025804001. Therefore this is reported on Public Mobile web site only.

25/06/2018 5:34 Outgoing Call 613XXXXXXX 9025804001 All NS 0:00:05 Minutes $0.00
25/06/2018 3:49 Outgoing Call 613XXXXXXX 9025804001 All NS 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
25/06/2018 2:48 Outgoing Call 613XXXXXXX 9025804001 All NS 0:00:05 Minutes $0.00
25/06/2018 11:51 Outgoing Call 613XXXXXXX 9025804001 All NS 0:00:06 Minutes $0.00
25/06/2018 7:36 Outgoing Call 613XXXXXXX 9025804001 All NS 0:00:14 Minutes $0.00

I reversed loop up and found the number to belong to Telus in the Halifax area.

(902) 580-4001
Telus Communications Inc. Mobile
Halifax NS  

I know that Telus is the parent of Public Mobile. Could someone tell me what is going on? This must be a screw up in the billing software. I also want those call charges to my minutes to be reversed.

Thanks.

40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krs99 wrote:

I realize that this is an old post, but did this problem get fixed?

I tried changing the last digit of the call forward number on my phone to "9", but the system says it's invalid and doesn't make the change.

But when I look at my actual usage, the four calls that showed to the "902" didn't seem to use any minutes.

Correct. On the limited minutes plans, the 3 forwarding options don't use minutes. The $10 plan uses minutes on the overall forwarding but I think iirc the $15 plan does not.

krs99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@SonPham wrote:

I found the call forwarding setting on my phone but I cannot "disable" it or "delete" the number entirely. I can change the last number from 1 to 9, that is to change the number from +19025804001 to +19025804009. When I call this time, it is forwarded to +19025804009 which is a non existant number. This does not show up in the "view usage".

I realize that this is an old post, but did this problem get fixed?

I tried changing the last digit of the call forward number on my phone to "9", but the system says it's invalid and doesn't make the change.

But when I look at my actual usage, the four calls that showed to the "902" didn't seem to use any minutes.

DonDizzle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Right on, thanks for your response...makes sense.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DonDizzle wrote:

ya fair enough, thanks for the clarification...I guess my issue is totally different. I am getting phone calls from Australia that has a personal number with in it, I figure its a prank or telemarketer. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

Thanks, R.D.

@DonDizzle you only mentioned the 902 number originally, which is a Nova Scotia PM voicemail access number.  However, if these Australians (if they are even in Australia--outbound caller ID can be spoofed/faked pretty easily) are calling and you're not answering, those calls will show in your call log as a call to 9025804001 since the call gets forwarded to your voicemail box when you don't answer.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DonDizzle

ya fair enough, thanks for the clarification...I guess my issue is totally different. I am getting phone calls from Australia that has a personal number with in it, I figure its a prank or telemarketer. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

Thanks, R.D.

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@DonDizzle, if you were to read the rest of this thread

@stonechucker apparently, this is too much to ask. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@DonDizzle, if you were to read the rest of this thread, you'd see this is your voicemail number for your account, and it logs each call that is forwarded by your phone (if set up to do so) or unanswered due to your devicde not being reachable.

DonDizzle

I am also receiving calls outgoing/incoming from  9025804001...what is going on with that?

Is this an internal telemarketer within Public Mobile because I am getting calls from specific numbers within my phone directory masked as 9025804001. This is very strange and would like a legit solution to this problem.

Thanks,

R.D.

MPGOLD

@Geezer wrote:

It's guaranteed that you were charged. You're just looking in the wrong spot. Just follow my directions in the post below and all will be good. No more Nigerian princes using up your minutes.

• My Data & Add-Ons
  • Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts
    0  /  50 Unit
    Limited Canada-Wide Talk
    0  /  50 MIN
  •  

This is where you look. Try it by calling from another phone and you will see it change here.

pm1.jpgpm2.jpg

It shows 0 minutes used.

Geezer

Bravo for following directions. Have a Happy Canada Day and stay coooooool.

SonPham

I found the call forwarding setting on my phone but I cannot "disable" it or "delete" the number entirely. I can change the last number from 1 to 9, that is to change the number from +19025804001 to +19025804009. When I call this time, it is forwarded to +19025804009 which is a non existant number. This does not show up in the "view usage".

Geezer

Those numbers can't be deleted. The network just fills them back in. You have to change the last number, a 1, to a nine.I have the same phone number as you and it works. The Mod is not going to do anything, other than a one time thing. Did you check your PM's. I left you one.

SonPham

@srlawren wrote:

@MacMe wrote:

@SonPham wrote:

Is there a way to just let the phone rings without ever going to voice mail?

@srlawren made a post on disabling voicemail:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

@MacMe as @SonPham pointed out (as did I myself in a reply on the previous page of this thread), the workaround of extended absence greeting doesn't help at all in this situation since the caller still has to be forwarded to your voicemail box to hear it, hence minute(s) used up in the process.

@SonPham you said removing the voicemail number didn't prevent the forward, I'm actually fairly surprised.  

I know my phone has multiple forwarding settings.  It would seem that "when busy", "when unanswered", and "when unreachable" [ < this was the case when your phone was powered off for testing] all redirect to the greater-Vancovuer area voicemail number:

Screenshot_20180627-084137.jpg

Did you remove the number in all places withing the forwarding settings?

Yes, I removed the voicemail forwarding phone number from my Samsung J3 phone. I also turned off the phone. Then I called the phone using another phone, the J3 phone never rings because it is turned off, and it goes straight to voicemail. I checked Public Mobile website and saw the forwarding call just created by me. I emailed the PM support coordinator and asked that my voicemail be disabled forever because it is using my minutes by scammer robocalls. The PM support coordinator said that this is a known issue and escalated the matter to technical support to do something about it. The last few days, my voice minutes remaining has not decreased. Currently, when I call my J3 phone, it still goes straight to the extended absence voicemail response message and then hung up. So it seems the PM support coordinator can do something about disabling the minute charges when forwarding to voicemail. I will see if this situation keeps up. I am satisfied with the current situation.

Geezer

It's guaranteed that you were charged. You're just looking in the wrong spot. Just follow my directions in the post below and all will be good. No more Nigerian princes using up your minutes.

• My Data & Add-Ons
  • Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts
    0  /  50 Unit
    Limited Canada-Wide Talk
    0  /  50 MIN
  •  

This is where you look. Try it by calling from another phone and you will see it change here.

MPGOLD

@Geezer wrote:

I see this has been marked as "Solved". There have been lots of replies clarifying the Plan but nobody has actually solved the problem. This is a major concern to all of us on the 50 minute plan whereby everybody calling us uses up our minutes if they let it ring 5 times and it goes to voicemail. Even if you've lost your phone, pulled the battery, or dropped it in the toilet every call uses up minutes. One of your not so nice friends could call you 50 times and deplete your plan in a few minutes. Oops, did I just say that? Anyhow I tested this extensively and it was discussed  here . It seems that most of the voicemail numbers end in 1 or 2 so changing the last number to a 9 seems to work for me. Problem solved.

I just signed up for the $10 plan and someone called me and left a 57 second voicemail.  I did not listen to it.  I don't think I was charged for it.

Outgoing Call * * All * 0:00:57 Minutes $0.00

Limited Canada-Wide Talk
0 / 50 MIN

Geezer

I see this has been marked as "Solved". There have been lots of replies clarifying the Plan but nobody has actually solved the problem. This is a major concern to all of us on the 50 minute plan whereby everybody calling us uses up our minutes if they let it ring 5 times and it goes to voicemail. Even if you've lost your phone, pulled the battery, or dropped it in the toilet every call uses up minutes. One of your not so nice friends could call you 50 times and deplete your plan in a few minutes. Oops, did I just say that? Anyhow I tested this extensively and it was discussed  here . It seems that most of the voicemail numbers end in 1 or 2 so changing the last number to a 9 seems to work for me. Problem solved.

srlawren

@MacMe wrote:

@SonPham wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

@MacMe as @SonPham pointed out (as did I myself in a reply on the previous page of this thread), the workaround of extended absence greeting doesn't help at all in this situation since the caller still has to be forwarded to your voicemail box to hear it, hence minute(s) used up in the process.

@SonPham you said removing the voicemail number didn't prevent the forward, I'm actually fairly surprised.  

I know my phone has multiple forwarding settings.  It would seem that "when busy", "when unanswered", and "when unreachable" [ < this was the case when your phone was powered off for testing] all redirect to the greater-Vancovuer area voicemail number:

Screenshot_20180627-084137.jpg

Did you remove the number in all places withing the forwarding settings?

SonPham

@computergeek541 You are absolutely right. Any calls that are forwarded to voicemail, even when voicemail is set up not to allow a caller to leave a message, will count toward your minutes. I removed voicemail box phone number from my Android Samsung phone (J3) but it did not work. The unanswered call still gets forwarded to my voicemail in Nova Scotia (even though I am in Ottawa) therefore this must be a Public Mobile voice mail system function. I have sent a message to a Community Moderator (aka Public Mobile's customer support team) and asked if Public Mobile can disable the voice mail completely. This is extremely necessary since we receive tons of unwanted telemarketers and scammer robocalls these days.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

A call going to voicemail using minutes is troubling.  I can't say with certainty, but I would not be surprised if a minute would be allocated even if the caller hung up before leaving a message.  If that is the case, I would argue that this plan could be next to useless for many people.  Hopefully, customers are only charge a minute when an actual message is left. The 50 minute plan is the very type of light usage plan in which users need to be on close control of usage amounts, yet users have no control over airtime used when a call gets directed to voicemail.

@computergeek541 I totally agree that this is not good.  I can't confirm either way about your question of whether the caller needs to actually leave you a voicemail message but my belief is that you will be chared as soon as the call hits your outgoing voicemail.  The reason I say this is because using call forwarding minutes is now (as of the revised plan) in the column of things that use minutes for this plan, and the call going to your voicemail is really just call forwarding when unavailable.  Unfortunately the workaround of recording an extended absence greeting would not help in this case, but the workaround of removing the voicemail box number likely would.

SonPham

Unfortunately, the technique of recording an extended absence greeting, turn on extended absence greeting, and then disallow anyone to leave a message still cost your minutes whenever someone calls your number even the telemarketing/spammers.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SonPham wrote:

SonPham

I turned off my cell phone for all of today so it will not be my phone dialing, however, I just checked and the Public Mobile billing system still has calls going to voice mail that will be charged to my minutes. Since I just signed up a few days ago, at this rate, all of my 50 minutes will be used up without placing any actual outgoing calls. This would mean forwarding to a voice mail number would count against your minutes. This is disappointing. Is there a way to just let the phone rings without ever going to voice mail?

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

A call going to voicemail using minutes is troubling.  I can't say with certainty, but I would not be surprised if a minute would be allocated even if the caller hung up before leaving a message.  If that is the case, I would argue that this plan could be next to useless for many people.  Hopefully, customers are only charge a minute when an actual message is left. The 50 minute plan is the very type of light usage plan in which users need to be on close control of usage amounts, yet users have no control over airtime used when a call gets directed to voicemail.

@computergeek541 I totally agree that this is not good.  I can't confirm either way about your question of whether the caller needs to actually leave you a voicemail message but my belief is that you will be chared as soon as the call hits your outgoing voicemail.  The reason I say this is because using call forwarding minutes is now (as of the revised plan) in the column of things that use minutes for this plan, and the call going to your voicemail is really just call forwarding when unavailable.  Unfortunately the workaround of recording an extended absence greeting would not help in this case, but the workaround of removing the voicemail box number likely would.

I can only think of one carrier that ever charged airtime for voice message deposits.  I believe Fido prepaid still does practice this to this day.

srlawren

It seems there is still confusion out there about this plan and voicemail.

YES, you would EXPECT that someone calling you and the call ending up in your voicemail woudl not uese up your minutes.  And this is what PM intended for this plan.  However, they ran into technical issues and back-peddled on that.  The announcment post has been updated to reflect it.  In particular:

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

So YES, you are 100% being charged airtime from your 50 mins whenever a call goes to voicemail, unfortunately.

Also for anyone curious about the various regional voicemail numbers, you can find the list here.

These aren't phantom outgoing calls to this number.  Carriers have long listed calls to the voicemail deposit number as outgoing when there is no outgoing call.  The entries in your usage history simply mean that someone was sent to your voicemail box.  They don't even necessarily have to leave a message for these usage history entiries to show up.

Now, as for your plan, this should not be using up any part of your 50 minutes, although calling in and listening to your voice messages using your cell phone will.

MacMe

I guess I misunderstood what Brooke said:

If a friend calls you, leaves a voicemail and you choose to not retrieve this message, your minutes will not be used.

I thought it meant no minutes are used in this whole process, but you're probably right @mimmo.  Its like this:

If a friend calls you, leaves a voicemail (this will use minutes) and you choose to not retrieve this message, your minutes will not be used. (no minutes used)

mimmo

@MacMe  i might have mis understood/misinterperted your message.  the way i read it is if someone leave you a voice mail but you dont get it you are saying it will not use your minutes.  if that is what you saying i still believe it is wrong.  from the updated FAQ :

uses minutes: Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages 

my reading of it is as follows:

If someone leaves you a 1 minute message and you retreive it you pay two time once for them leaving it the second for listening to it.  if you decide to ignore the  voicemail and let it be deleted in due time (without listening to it)  then you only pay for for the person leaving the message.

MacMe

This was from a few days ago:

@Brooke_C wrote:

If a friend calls you, leaves a voicemail and you choose to not retrieve this message, your minutes will not be used. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

mimmo

@MacMe I believe you are incorrect voicemail does use minutes evenretrirving from land lines.

There were some revisions and changes to what uses and doesn't use minutes. Unfortunately call forwarding and all voicemail Pete put on the use minutes side.

MacMe
@SonPham wrote:

I justed activated Public Mobile Plan: "$10 / 30 days / 50 minutes / 50 texts" in a Walmart store a few days ago. I check "my usage" on Public Mobile web site and found that my phone is calling a number 9025804001 by itself repeatedly, also it showed that I have used 5 minutes of my 50 monthly minutes (10%). 

I also want those call charges to my minutes to be reversed.

Those voicemails that someone left you shouldn't use up any minutes as long as you don't retrieve them:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

Need Help? Let's chat.