cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to public mobile

Melissa-H77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, I am in the process of switching to public mobile from Rogers. I just ordered 2 SIM cards ( one for me and my husband). I would like to keep our same numbers, so I am wondering once they come in, do I cancel my Rogers account then activate PM SIM card or activate it and then cancel my plan??? What order of steps do I need to do this? Thank you 🙂

7 REPLIES 7

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, You don't have to do anything. Once your number is ported over your account is closed automatically in Rogers. Don't get rid of your rogers SIM card in case the port is not complete because you can still use it until the port is complete. Somtimes the port process takes a while, somtimes its right away.

You use your old SIM til it stops working, then shut the phone off, put Public Mobile SIM card in reboot phone and it should work.

karen_z

I just switched a couple days ago.  You get your account number from Rogers. Then the service representative will close the account for you. I believe your account is closed when your number is transferred over to Public Mobile from your previous carrier.  Following the account transfer, there is a ~30 min wait during which they will verify that the transfer was successful.   This was my experience.

Melissa-H77

Thank you for answering my question!! I appreciate it! I like this community posting section as I am sure I will have more questions once the SIM cards come in 🙂

GR
Mayor / Maire

That pretty much sums it up with what everyone said!   Welcome to public mobile and happy Canada day to everyone !! 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Melissa-H77You should cancel your Rogers account only *AFTER* you have activated your Public Mobile accounts, successfully ported your number over AND tested that everything works. (applicable only if you have more than 1 Rogers service like Internet or TV etc) Usually for things like prepaid the account will be closed automatically.

For Public Mobile, only 1 email / phone number (remember to add the first number as a referral when you sign up the second number)... also have a spare credit card ready because Public Mobile's payment is finicky.

I would recommend you do the signup process during off business hours. Activate the phones and get temporary numbers.. the loginto your selfserve accounts and start the Transfer

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.31.24 AM.png

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Activate FIRST then activate then port

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Melissa-H77 

Do not cancel your Roger's account prior to activating or porting.  You need an activate account for porting.  Once porting is done, your Roger's account is closed and Rogers will send you a final bill.  

The information you need for port are: Roger's account number, account holder name and phone number.  Don't need to put extra information such as PIN or IME for port request.  

Need Help? Let's chat.