cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Switching to Public first time, question about SIM and porting to a new phone

Hey all,

I have a few very specific questions that are a bit difficult to articulate, so please bear with me, about switching to Public Mobile and would appreciate any help!

I'm currently with Virgin Mobile, on an old Samsung Galaxy S4.

My agreement is coming to an end and I'd like to join Public Mobile in the next week, but I want to switch to a new phone at the same time. Basically I want to port my number straight to Public Mobile AND on a new phone simultaneously, and get rid of my old phone (it's beat up) and say goodbye to Virgin Mobile.

I ordered a new phone (which will arrive next week), unlocked, and would like to use that phone on Public Mobile (it is compatible). 

My question is: do I buy a Public Mobile SIM card and put it straight into my new phone and set up a new/temporary phone number and self serve account on my new phone first? 

Can I then port my old Virgin Mobile number to my new phone, without being a Public Mobile member on my Galaxy  S4?

**EDIT: Also, would my Virgin Mobile account be automatically closed/cancelled in the porting process even if I'm porting to a new phone+Public simultaneously?

The other issue is that the Galaxy S4 and my new phone use different SIM card sizes. That's why I'm thinking I'll have to go straight to my new phone.  

I'm just wondering what order I should do things in, and if it will be a relatively seamless process. 

Thank you for your help!

Tags (3)
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Switching to Public first time, question about SIM and porting to a new phone

Hi Aspen,

Here is my suggestion : activate your new account here at Public Mobile with a temporary number. Once that is done and the service on your new phone is working  you can port your old number from virgin within your customer self-service here on the Public Mobile website. 

ALWAYS contact virgin after to ensure you account is closed AFTER the port. DO NOT close your account before the port out or you will lose your phone number. 

Hope this helps ... a little. Have a great week-end ! Smiley Happy 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Switching to Public first time, question about SIM and porting to a new phone

aspen25 wrote:

Hey all,

I have a few very specific questions that are a bit difficult to articulate, so please bear with me, about switching to Public Mobile and would appreciate any help!

I'm currently with Virgin Mobile, on an old Samsung Galaxy S4.

My agreement is coming to an end and I'd like to join Public Mobile in the next week, but I want to switch to a new phone at the same time. Basically I want to port my number straight to Public Mobile AND on a new phone simultaneously, and get rid of my old phone (it's beat up) and say goodbye to Virgin Mobile.

I ordered a new phone (which will arrive next week), unlocked, and would like to use that phone on Public Mobile (it is compatible). 

My question is: do I buy a Public Mobile SIM card and put it straight into my new phone and set up a new/temporary phone number and self serve account on my new phone first? 

Can I then port my old Virgin Mobile number to my new phone, without being a Public Mobile member on my Galaxy  S4?

**EDIT: Also, would my Virgin Mobile account be automatically closed/cancelled in the porting process even if I'm porting to a new phone+Public simultaneously?

The other issue is that the Galaxy S4 and my new phone use different SIM card sizes. That's why I'm thinking I'll have to go straight to my new phone.  

I'm just wondering what order I should do things in, and if it will be a relatively seamless process. 

Thank you for your help!

@aspen25

You need to have a PM SIM card in hand first (available from Walmart or Wow mobile for $10 or order from PM site for delivery within 3-7 days).  Once you have this, you activate it here.  It is recommended to take a new temporary number from PM first and check to make sure the service (talk/text/data) is working without problems.  When that's working fine, then go into the PM self-serve account and port the Virgin number over.  Upon successful completion of the port, your Virgin Mobile account will be automatically cancelled.  Do not cancel the Virgin account yourself, or the port will fail and you'll lose your number.

Oracle

Hi @aspen25,

Once you get the public mobile sim card, go to http://activate.publicmobile.ca and sign up for your new account.. takes about 10 minutes.  During this activation process, you will have a chance to port-in your Virgin mobile number by entering the number, account number and PIN. Or, you can pick any new random number and once your new PM line is active, sign into selfserve at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca and port your Virgin number to PM anytime you like.  You just click on Plan and Add-ons and then click on Change number.  

The Public Mobile sim card you will get is 3 in 1.  You can punch-out the size that fits in your phone.  Keep the remaining parts of the sim card somewhere in a drawer just in case if you ever change phones and need a different sized sim.  

Once the phone line is activated from the activation portal, the sim card is active.  You can place this PM sim card in any compatible phone.  

Even your S4 will most likely work with PM, but you will have to get it unlocked.. which is pretty cheap if you do it online from places like eBay for just a few bucks.  So, keep that old beat up S4 as a backup phone too, just in case you need it.

Most people have a seamless experience.  Just take your time and double check the Virgin account number etc during porting process.  Thats where there is a high poential for error resulting in stuck port request.  But if you encounter any problems, just start a new thread here in the Community and send a private message to the mods for any account specific help you may need.  

Mayor / Maire

@aspen25, I can't add any additional info just want to welcome you to Public Mobile
* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me *
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile!  I too can't add any more information... these are all the proper steps, and give you the best chance for no errors.

Double check EVERYTHING before you press submit.