cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Public Mobile

roodeberg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an elderly friend who wants to switch providers, namely Public Mobile. Wondering if you need an active email adress BEFORE switching over??

10 REPLIES 10

@roodeberg

I wouldn't recommend waiting this time around, lol.

The promos usually offer things like a free SIM card ($10 value), a free month of service ($15+, depending on Plan), maybe a free GB of data ($30 value) or a $10-$20 signup bonus or somesuch. Something credited to your account after a little while so in practice you pay full prices up front and get discounted on the subsequent month. Assuming there actually is a promo - and that it actually includes the Plan you desire instead of just (higher-cost) Plans you don't - no announcements so no guarantees at this time. 

But right now they're giving away free International Long Distance Add-on ($15 value) and free Data add-on ($30 value) - you can "buy" either or both for $0.00, if you choose. You can start using these Add-ons immediately (during the holiday season) and they remain on the account indefinitely across billing cycles until they're finally fully used up.

But these gifts are only available until Dec 24. In fact, better to grab it before the big rush on the last day(s) makes vendors run out of SIM cards and PM's activation website buggy/unresponsive under duress... there's always people who wait until the eleventh hour at Public Mobile then complain about missing the deadline.

Plus I suspect a senior would get much more use from 400 minutes of Canada/USA/International calling than from an extra data bucket, although it doesn't hurt to have both handy whenever they're needed.

samfok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wait for boxing day promos!  I'm sure there will be some good end of year stuff...

@Tweetynumair wrote:

@cat2019 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@roodeberg  Yes. Likely they will only want the $15 or $25 plan.  Wait til Friday to see if pm offers one more pre xmas promo. If a minimum $25 plan free month promo is offered it's a better deal to take the $25 get the credit and switch the plan on next renewal to the $15. They will get 4 months service for $25 +tax (on autopay) and adding $2 to account. Total $27+tax/4 months

I'm not sure about the switching from $25 to $15. As discussed a lot previously during promo time, some people suggest new users to take the promotional plan first in order to get the free credit then switch back to a lower one the second month, but some others also mentioned that the fine prints in the promo conditions always state the free credit can only stay in your account as long as you remain on the same plan.  So far nobody comes here to share which one actually is correct. So if your friends plan to swtich plans quickly, they need to consider that. 

I think the more recent promos have specified that you have to stay with the same plan to keep the credits.  I'm pretty sure in the past I've seen promos that have not specified that.

@roodebergIt does depend on the promo if its $10off/6 months or data add-ons  then the conditions almost always state you cant change plans. The free next 30 days credit do not state this requirement.  Its common practice to at least choose the $25 to meet the minimum plan requirement and switch down a plan if the data component is more than you need ($40 -$25). The ($25-$15) is good for those to see how much calling and/or data they need...some stay on the $25 and some downgrade. On this kind of promo it always costs the same amount for service you just pay more and get more data on your first month before you switch. Any plan up to $50 on autopay with a referral credit will pay $57 +tax for 6 months of service switching to the $15 on your second month.

@cat2019 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@roodeberg  Yes. Likely they will only want the $15 or $25 plan.  Wait til Friday to see if pm offers one more pre xmas promo. If a minimum $25 plan free month promo is offered it's a better deal to take the $25 get the credit and switch the plan on next renewal to the $15. They will get 4 months service for $25 +tax (on autopay) and adding $2 to account. Total $27+tax/4 months

I'm not sure about the switching from $25 to $15. As discussed a lot previously during promo time, some people suggest new users to take the promotional plan first in order to get the free credit then switch back to a lower one the second month, but some others also mentioned that the fine prints in the promo conditions always state the free credit can only stay in your account as long as you remain on the same plan.  So far nobody comes here to share which one actually is correct. So if your friends plan to swtich plans quickly, they need to consider that. 

Hi @cat2019 

That usually refers to discount of $10 per month for3 or 6 months and/or extra monthly data and recently it also happened with data addon. I usually suggest everyone if they see that the plan is not fitting then well too wait until they received/consumed the bonuses before switching. Which in the case of 2nd month free really means one week or so ( which for most people is not long enough to figure out the usage needs unless they went way too low and that means upgrade, which is usually supported by the house)

Tweetynumair
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@cat2019 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I think the more recent promos have specified that you have to stay with the same plan to keep the credits.  I'm pretty sure in the past I've seen promos that have not specified that.

cat2019
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@darlicious wrote:

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @roodeberg 

They are gonna need one just to register the sim, and since every public mobile account needs a unique email address you will not be able to use one for more than one pm account, everything is online so email account is a must. They can recharge from a registered credit card by dialing 611, but 611 for account management is very limited.

If they can't use online management ande support they will need help of somebody else who can handle that.

Good thing is that it's very cheap to try it out first, and very easy to leave if they are not h happy.

Cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

They would need an active email.  They could setup a free email like Hotmail.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.