cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching numbers after a month or two

Ont68k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have Public Mobile (iPhone 😎 and I'd like to set up my Dad on it too. Currently he doesn't get the picture texts on Petro Canada Mobility (iPhone 5s). It's a known problem but they haven't fixed it in over a year and he's missing grandchildren pictures because of it. He's a very light user currently on a pre-paid service, but I want to set him up on receiving proper MMS texts and a bit of data (I know this works because it worked on my iPhone 5s and 8). The only problem is he has a $80 of credit that he wants to use first. 

My idea is to refer him with the $25 December special and sign him up on the $10 per month plan. I would give him my referral cash and he'd have his so he'd be starting with $50. I want to get a chunk of data that rolls over month-to-month or just pay for the data outside of a plan. He's only really using the data for loading Google Maps or using Siri while driving. I would sign him up to get the deal and switch his number over in February or March. I would buy the SIM and just put it in an old phone until he's ready.

My questions are:

1. Can you get data on the $10 per month plan? How much would it cost? 

2. Can transfer his number a month or two after he first registers?

3. Do these $25 referral deals happen often? When would be the next estimated promotion?

12 REPLIES 12

@Luddite, that's the best part about this - I thought you had included it, and I re-read after I made my edit - you didn't have it, but had the 120-day period.

Good thing we look out for each other!

@stonechucker You caught the MMS which I missed. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Ont68k, just reviewing this thread, the $10 plan doesn't *need* the data plan to receive the pictures via MMS.  It's fully included as part of MMS already.  You'll just need to set up the APN settings and have Data turned on.

Data for MMS is zero-rated, so you may not need data on your Dad's phone.

** EDIT: Oops... @Luddite beat me to it.  Didn't keep scrolling before I wrote this.

@Ont68k wrote:

Thanks for the help! I still have another 10 days before I should make a decision. I'll probably switch over sooner and get the deal. I'll add that add-on for a couple 100mbs of data too.

No need to buy the data add-on until he is ready to use the phone. So, just $10 now and leave dormant until you want it within 120 days of activation, or you'll be starting over. The $25 credit will sit in the account as Available Funds until you are ready to buy the final plan and data add-on. Once he is ready don't forget to turn on Autopay for the $2, even if he will be paying with vouchers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ont68k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the help! I still have another 10 days before I should make a decision. I'll probably switch over sooner and get the deal. I'll add that add-on for a couple 100mbs of data too.

@mimmo, is also the second time for my answer to be posted in this thread, except with an error in the answer.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Poogzley  this is the second time for this promotion

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Q1. Can you get data on the $10 per month plan? How much would it cost? 

A: you are able to purchase an addon.

Q2. Can transfer his number a month or two after he first registers?

A: you can change your number at any time from your online profile.

Q3. Do these $25 referral deals happen often? When would be the next estimated promotion?

A: This is the first time in while to my knowledge.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Very nice of you to provide for your dad, by the way.

Remember....if you do opt for the data add-on, it doesn't expire after 30days. It stays usable until it runs out. The data add-on could last your dad a long time if his usage is very little. If he has wifi, that's another way to save on data useage too. My old iphone 5s worked fine until the battery crapped out...otherwise was compatible with PM. Also, make sure your old phone is unlocked. If not, call the previous provider and ask for a free unlock code. Good luck.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

you could also get the promo on the 14th (expires 16th, couple days to play it safe)  then on day 28-29 enable lost stolen feature this will give you a 90 day window to reactivate the plan.    you now have 120 days to rundown your petro canada credit.  always allow some extra days incase of issues ...

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would wait. There’s bound to be another promo closer to when you want to switch so you wouldn’t have to keep 2 lines going for so long. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Data can be added as an add-on to that plan.  $10 for 200 mb, $30 for 1 GB

A number port can be done later.  Will need help from the Moderator Team, as Petro Can Mobile has a shared database with the other prepaid services here.

$25/$25 is only the second time this has happened.  Not a regular promo, but on until Dec 16.

Need Help? Let's chat.