cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from shaw landline

jillsneep
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm about to sign up for an account with Public Mobile.

I want to use my existing phone number that I have with Shaw Cable.

When I try to create an account, the first thing it asks for is a phone number so I can be texted sign up information. But my phone is a land line, I can't read texts on it?!

Enter your 10-digit phone number (without spaces or dashes). Click Submit and you'll receive a text message containing your 6-digit code.

How do I start?

5 REPLIES 5

jeremiah10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Jillsneep

In order to port your number from land line to public mobile, the best way is to activate a temporary number. Once that is active, you can log into public mobile my account and request a new port in number from your Land line. Regularly the land line tend to take a bit longer to port compaired to cellular lines that are done within 3 hours max.

Hope i was able to help, Enjoy your day!

Camelia_M
Customer Support Agent

Hi @jillsneep,

You can create the account and get a new phone number with Public Moblie, here is some more info for you about how to activate https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824 .

After all is set up as long as your current account  is active and you provide the info that is in the above link (Landline Phone Number Transfer) we can transfer it at any time, as it could take around 3 days for a landline port to be completed.

Here https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-started you can check if the phone you will want to use is compatible with our network, and it also needs to be unlocked if it's an older phone.

Please also send a private message to the Moderator _Team to check that we can port your current phone number before activating. 

I know that's a lot of info so please reach out if you need more help.

Camelia_M

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@jillsneep The best way to do it is to activate your SIM and pick a new number, then go into your account and select Change My Number and request to port your land line number. That will also ensure you have a phone while you are waiting for the port, which can take up to 10 days when you are moving from a land line to a cell. Make sure that you keep your land line account active while it is porting, you can't port an inactive number. Your Shaw phone account will be closed automatically after the port has gone through.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@jillsneep, I'd suggest taking a new number first, to get the cell phone active.  Once it's active, port your number afterward.

This way, the system will use your temporary number to advise you the service is working.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jillsneep  you need to buy a sim and activate a new line.i suggest with a new number. Once you have an an active account login and port your number.

Edit Here is the activate sim link

https://activate.publicmobile.ca

Need Help? Let's chat.