cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Koodo, want to make sure I have all the steps right

thecory
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm interested in switching to Public Mobile from Koodo (postpaid). I was unfortunately part of the data breach that Koodo had, and their solution to simply not use your mobile number with online accounts isn't an option for me. I've done a bit of research and think I have the necessary steps in place, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Pointing any of that out or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. The phone compatibility checker isn't working for me, but I'm assuming if my phone (Blackberry Motion) worked with Koodo it should work with Public Mobile as they both use Telus infrastructure.
  2. Get a SIM card. I'm going to use London Drugs to get that for free and the 2GB one time bonus (better than nothing).
  3. I believe I pay there, then activate the SIM online.
  4. Use a referral code to save $10. I don't have one, so I will use the one of someone who replies today.
  5. Use the PIN from my purchase as my payment method when activating.
  6. Set up automatic payment to save $2.
  7. When I want to port my old number (will take a few days until this is available and the London Drugs deal ends today), contact a mod on here with my old number and account info.
  8. Never stop referring until my bill is $0.
5 REPLIES 5

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@thecory No doubt you have long since made the switch to PM. What caught my eye was your statement: "their solution to simply not use your mobile number with online accounts isn't an option for me". It seems to me that the issue would be continuing to use the same phone number, whether at Koodo or PM.

Would the safest approach not be to use a new phone number? I know it's an aggravation to convert all your contacts, but may be the safest long term course.

In any case, trust all is well now.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow, wish I had done all that, looks like your really on top of everything!

I think you should be able to port your old number, it looks like porting upon activation is fine, It's just number porting through self-serve that isn't working properly right now.

edited by computergeek541: referral code removed

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @thecory 

Best plan ever:)

Welcome to public mobile

You can use your credit card on the store to set up your autopay on the spot

It's also great option since they will invite you behind the counter and you will be able to check all the spelling. It's misspelled email that gives headaches

Scarlet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, all phones on that work on Koodo or Telus also Public, they use the same bands. You can port over your number when you activate your sim, as well as online using your self-service account. It's pretty straight forward to port your number but if you do run into issues feel free to contact a mod. DM me for code / I'll send you a referral code if you want to use mine. :cathappy:

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@thecory To get the 2 gig London drugs promotion you need to activate there. Activate with a temporary cell phone number and set up your self service account, when you get back home. If it works on Koodo, tje cell will work here. When you are ready to port use this article to see what is required to port  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Need Help? Let's chat.