cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Fido to PM

smtwtfs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have just purchased a PM SIM card. Once I receive the SIM card I will cancel my current plan with Fido and activate the PM sim card? Is this how you swap services? Or is there more to this? My Fido plan bill date is towards the end of the month, so I am afraid I'll have to stay with Fido for one more month. 

14 REPLIES 14

@helenhelen 

In this case, this absolutely should not be done.  At most carriers, a pending account closure will prevent a number port out.

Bell Mobility is a bit of a special case because they used to allow customers to give advanced notice of port out to satisfy a 30 days of cancellation notice requirement.  Carriers are no longer allowed to require this, nor are they any longer allowed to charge for that additional 30 days if you don't give them any notice for service on a postpaid account.

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

call them ans tell them you plan to port your phone number (unless you want a new number?). they will plan to cancel your account on a certain date and tell you when you need to port your number by. that basically means just logging in and activating your PM SIM by that date. This is what I did with Bell.

@smtwtfs 

CCS also has an oakville location and a mississauga pick up location. You can save the pm sim card coming by snail mail for someone you refer......and start getting more rewards. You will likely save more by switching now and purchasing a second sim card than by paying for another month with fido. If you are on the west coast there are are other options for you.

@smtwtfs If you'd like to get it done before the end of June PM does have some retail outlets. You could buy a SIM then activate at home. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

If you can come to western GTA I have SIM you may have. Reach me by private messaging: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

smtwtfs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok that makes sense, I am prepaid, so I will probably have to use Fido next month and do the swap and port towards the end of July. Thanks. 

rliu1993
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you will not, when you active your pm account, fido account automatically cancel.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smtwtfs 

You FIDO number must be active before your number can be ported to PM.

I know Rogers and Fido implemented lock on number porting.  You may call to remove the lock and leaving you plan active until your port to PM is completed  Fido will cancel your account after Fido released your number to PM.  From my past experience, Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Cityfone released my number to PM around 30 minutes after I started the porting process.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smtwtfs wrote:

I have just purchased a PM SIM card. Once I receive the SIM card I will cancel my current plan with Fido and activate the PM sim card? Is this how you swap services? Or is there more to this? My Fido plan bill date is towards the end of the month, so I am afraid I'll have to stay with Fido for one more month. 

Hi, PM recommends porting a number during activation. Your fido account must be active and it will close automatically once the transfer is complete.

Here is the current procedure in place to port your number over from another provider:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

As PM writes, as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless.

Canada post deliveries are taking longer than usual nowadays. If you have problems receiving your sim card, you can activate at a local store or you can order from Canadian Cell Supplies for $3.99. They seem to deliver faster currently than PM.

Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 sign-up bonus.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@smtwtfs  you can port your Fido number when you activate your SIM card.  The Fido account must be active to port your number. The port when completed will close it. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe

Make sure your phone is unlocked before leaving Fido. Give them the telephone number, name on the account,  and the Fido account number to port it over.

Here's 3 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
2.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
3. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@smtwtfs , I would suggest that you active an account now and give the service a try to confirm that it meets your needs.  Then maybe a day or two after you have fulfilled all obligations with Fido, you can request a number port which will move your number over and close the Fido line.  The number port should complete within a couple of hours after the request is submitted.  Do not separately take action to close the Fido account as it must remain active in order for you to do a number port.  

@kselmak wrote:

Please don't

Please don't what ?  🤣

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smtwtfs Hello if you were porting your number from Fido please do not close your account or you will probably lose your phone number if you were just coming to public and are taking a new number then disregard that and just sign up when you’re ready have a great day

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Please don't deactivate your correct Fido account you need it active to be able to transfer your number.

If you don't want to keep your old number, then you can cancel it any time

Are you on postpaid ort prepaid?

Make sure you remove your credit card from Fido so they don't keep charging.

If you are postpaid if you go over due date they will prorate it and only charge you for those days, if prepaid you must pay for whole cycle

Need Help? Let's chat.