cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Chatr to Public Mobile. Does this seem fine?

JayEs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am planning on porting both my # and my wife’s # from Chatr to Public Mobile. I am wondering if somebody can comment on whether my plan is missing anything.

1. Get SIM cards.
  2. Port my number first.
  3. Port my wife’s number second to get Refer-a-Friend Reward

As soon as my number is ported, can my wife use my number for the refer-a-friend rewards?

To be safe, is a week enough time to deal with potential porting problems before my current Chatr plan renews?

14 REPLIES 14

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Smiley Happy

JayEs

Thanks! It took a couple of hours but I just receive some text messages from Public Mobile and successfully made a test phone call. I'm in!

matbasm

Normally, it should be quick if there is no porting of a number.  However, there was some system maintanance going on over night, so there might be a backlog or something.  I would give it a bit mor time, and if it still doesn't come to life, then send a private message to the moderators team, and they'll sort things out.

Information regarding the moderator team can be found by following this link.
Click here to send them a private message.

JayEs

So I now have a Public Mobile account setup and I chose a new phone # (for now). It's already been almost an hour and I do not have service while using the new SIM card. I've already turned my phone off and on several time with the new SIM card in it.

From what I read, it seems that people who chose a new number should have service within practically no time but people chosing to port right away will have a bit longer of a wait.

Should I give it a bit more time or it obvious to anybody that there may be an issue?

matbasm

Good luck

🙂

JayEs

Thank you everyone for the advice. I got a SIM card yesterday and I going to try and get a temporary number right now. Wish me luck...

Please note ... I had a problem with a friend entering my phone number, after getting a temporary phone number PRIOR to porting in my old number.

Give it a couple days, before converting the second account over.  Friend referals must be successful at activation, and can not be fixed afterwards.

KMG

Also, make sure NOT to close your Chatr account.  Your Chatr must be active and in good standing before initiating the porting process.  Once the porting is done, your Chatr account will close automatically.  Note that since Chatr is prepaid (like PM), you will lose any unused time that you have already paid for through Chatr (i.e. you will not receive a refund for whatever time you have left before your Chatr renewal date).

edmonch2013
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Comments: make sure you get your account number, name of the account and PIN from Chatr before you start port your number. 

Do forget get Credit Card Auto Payment, you will get $6 per cycle. 

fsm7268

It took me one day to port my number to public mobile. It might have issues when you port your number, just message moderator team, they will help you with porting.

Welcome to public mobile! I am new too , more than happy with my plan and service.

Cheers

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Also, remember to check whether your phone and your wife's phone will work with Public Mobile. You can enter the IMEI number in the link below and see if it is compatible.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

I successfully ported over from Bell last month. The process took less than 2 hours. It went quite smoothly. Good luck! 🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, your wife should be able to use your number once it is successfully ported. 

You shouldn't have any problem porting in from chatr even if you request during activation process. All you need to provide is your ph# and account#. But it is always safe to first pick a new number to make sure everything is working on your phone. After that, you can request to port in anytime from your self-serve account. 

Let us know if you have further questions. 

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That sounds about right. You'll want to contact Chatr for your account number before starting. I came over from Chatr and it was pretty smooth with PM available after waiting  about 2  hours.

Check the APN settings for PM and restart your phone.

ky01
To play it safe, many suggests opening the account first, making sure you have the works up and running (talk/text/data) before porting your account to Public Mobile.

1 week should be more than sufficient time (hopefully, all you will need will be 1 day)!
Need Help? Let's chat.