cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching cell providers

PamKay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So i want to switch from my current cell provider to public mobile but i want to do so seamlessly. Do i call and cancel my current plan first? or do i sign up with public mobile? Any suggestions? My current carrier is telus

10 REPLIES 10

@andlock wrote:

Thank your help, it really makes it better when are not sure
Don

There is also the online activation chat service you can use.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

andlock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank your help, it really makes it better when are not sure
Don

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

deleted

@andlock wrote:

Should she go into a public mobile store, there are two here.

You can either activate in the store or purchase a SIM card and do it yourself online. Ensure the phone is unlocked and compatible with PM.

andlock

Should she go into a public mobile store, there are two here.

allenw

If you want to switch from your current provider which is Telus, do NOT cancel your phone number. If you call and cancel your phone number, you will have to pay to have the number reactivated (usually within 30days), and it's also possible you won't be able to get the phone number back. It will be returned to the original carrier that you first obtained the phone number from. 

To port over your phone number, you'll need your current Telus Account # (Usually 8 to 9 digits depending on when you activated with them), and your current cell phone number. There's an option to have your number ported under My Account when you wish to transfer in a different provider's phone number. 

You can sign up with Public Mobile and also have them submit the phone number port request when you're completing the activation in store or online, or you can also port the phone number from Telus when wish to do so through the self serve menu. Personally, if you're not comfortable doing the port yourself, you can ask a Public Mobile representative in person when you're signing up to submit the port request for you; they'll assign you a temporary phone number to use until the phone number port is successful.

Also, Telus should owe you prorated credits based on the number of days remaining in your billing cycle assuming you're on a post-paid/monthly plan, or you'll have to pay them if you haven't been keeping up with your payments. If you're on a prepaid plan, this won't be applicable. By Prorated, I mean in other words, if you've overpaid based on the number of days of service because you pay one month in advance for almost all of the postpaid plans for the telecommuncation companies in Canada, they'll owe you a refund in the form of a cheque, otherwise don't forget to pay off your final bill, it simply depends on how much your balance is overthere. Telus will send you a final bill once you've successfully transferred your phone number away if you're on a monthly plan, assuming there are no other active phone numbers on that same account. 

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PamKay wrote:

So i want to switch from my current cell provider to public mobile but i want to do so seamlessly. Do i call and cancel my current plan first? or do i sign up with public mobile? Any suggestions? My current carrier is telus

As the others have said, plus...

the porting of your number to your new Public Mobile account usually happens very fast and seamlessly.

I ported from Bell/Virgin and the whole thing was complete in about 2 minutes.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

NO DO NOT CANCEL ....YOUR ACCOUNT NEEDS TO BE ACTIVE TO GET YOUR NUMBER PORTED OVER .

Buy a public mobile sim card. You could try Walmart they may give you one free if you activate in store with them..

Select a temporary number to start..and use a referral code for$10 sign up bonus.

Or if you just buy sim use link below to activate it.

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Once everything is setup with a temporary number ..log into your account and port your number over (make sure old provider account it ACTIVE)

Screenshot_20191223_210328.jpg

Below is guide to porting.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat...

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@PamKay keep your present provides account open. Buy a SIM and activate your self service/ my account with a temporary phone number.  Then port your number over from with your service account. Your old providers account Must be open in order to port.

@PamKay wrote:

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can transfer your phone#.  Here is a guide.

Need Help? Let's chat.