cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching carriers

Lolly4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do I need a new SIM card to change from virgin mobile to public mobile?

10 REPLIES 10

sb3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched and you need a public mobile sim card. You also need to make sure your device is unlocked (you call call your old carrier to do this) and that your device is compatible.

It is very fast to set up once you have the sim card - took me longer to get the sim drawer open than to activate the sim card. 

Hope that helps!

Every carrier (including PM) issues its own SIM card. Your phone can't connect to their network without it.

Be sure the phone is not carrier-locked (to Virgin) before ordering a PM SIM card.

You can do this by borrowing any not-Virgin SIM card from a friend - put it into your phone, restart, see if it'll connect to the network (in Settings), try a dialing/answering a phone call or sending/receiving a text to be sure it works (with your friend's service and phone number) - only takes a few minutes.

If it works then you know your phone is unlocked and will work with Public Mobile.

If it doesn't work then you know your phone is Virgin-locked and won't work on Public Mobile (until Virgin unlocks it).

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Lolly4  Yes, You will need a new Public Mobile Simcard.

I also just activated a plan for PM and got the "Free Simcard promo with instore activations" at "London drugs". Sometimes Walmart also has free Simcard offers with activations.

Also, don't forget to get a referral code bonus credit by getting a referral code from anyone here.

I recommend before switching/porting your phone number read this article so you won't run into any problems.

"https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat..."

Hope This info Helps,

Cheers!

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, you will need a New Public Mobile sim card.
I just switched to Pm as well and grabbed the promo London Drugs had "free Simcard with instore activations".  I believe that promo was only until Feb21 2020.
I also hear some Walmarts also offer free Simcard with in-store activations. Do take advantage of the 10$ referral code so you can save 10$ on your next bill. You can message anyone to get their referral code.

I recommend before switching/porting your phone number
read this article so you won't run into any problems.

Also, don't cancel your current plan until the porting is fully completed.

Smiley Happy Hope This info helps. CHEERS!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Lolly4 wrote:

@Lolly4  All the information on what is needed to get started can be founfd here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

@Bullet77 wrote:

When ever you are switching to a new phone provider even if the are under the same network like Public, Kuddos or Telus you will need a new SIM card. If you are on the same network as the 3 companies above your old phone # actually will not be ported over. But you leaving Virgin on the bell network to come to Public your phone # has to be ported over too.

Where does that information even come from???

Yes, you can port from any Canadian provider, including Telus, Koodo, most VoIP services and landlines. Some ports need additional steps, and landlines and VoIP take  up to a week - let us know where you are are  porting from and we can provide specific additional information.

Do NOT cancel the  previous account!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lolly4 

Yes, you need a PM SIM card for PM activation.

Waltmart usually does not sell PM SIM card only.  If you let them activate your plan, they may give you a  free SIM card.  YMMV.  Call to make sure your local WM does free SIM with activation before going.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When ever you are switching to a new phone provider even if the are under the same network like Public, Kuddos or Telus you will need a new SIM card. If you are on the same network as the 3 companies above your old phone # actually will not be ported over. But you leaving Virgin on the bell network to come to Public your phone # has to be ported over too.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you will need a PM sim.

You can order one online through PM or Amazon.ca.  If you live near a retailer then you could purchase one from them.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Yes you do @Lolly4. You can order one directly through here https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

Or online via Amazon.ca and in various retail stores such as Real Canadian Superstore, Walmart etc.

@Lolly4 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.