cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between Rogers and PM

mortclaire
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, sorry if this has been asked 100 times, but not finding answers.

I use Rogers in Montreal, but they have terrible coverage in PEI.  I have an iPhone 6S.

What is involved in switching to a PM Sim when I am in PEI.  I know the phone must be unlocked, what else?  I am fine with a second number.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 dude, read the thread first!!!  He doesn't want to MOVE TO PUBLIC MOBILE--he (or she, sorry if I got it wrong) wants a second SIM card to use while in PEI only.  I've mentioned this already above when correcting @F9ne for making the same mistake.

The title can be interpretted as a desire to port the number to Public Mobile, although I will admit it doesn't say whether the switch will be permanent or not. 

The part that says "when in PEI" (which doesn't necessarily have to mean "only in PEI" - just that the sim card in the phone will be changed there or that the PM service will be activated in PEI)  and "I am fine with a second number", I don't believe says either way.  While that definitely includes the possibility of a second phone number in addition to keeping the Rogers service, it doesn't mean that he or she won't be porting a number or that possibility not being considered.  I read the first part as the OP possibly not knowing that a number can be ported, but would settle for a second number while still needing to keep the first number (but not necessarily the preference).

Perhaps, the OP will go to PEI and everything on Public Mobile will work fine on a new number and when arriving home, it still will.  In that case, Public might gain a new customer and take one away from Rogers.

But what I will give you is that I shouldn't assume that he/she has any desire to port.  I will admit making the mistake of assumption.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 dude, read the thread first!!!  He doesn't want to MOVE TO PUBLIC MOBILE--he (or she, sorry if I got it wrong) wants a second SIM card to use while in PEI only.  I've mentioned this already above when correcting @F9ne for making the same mistake.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Since you say that you already get "terrible" coverage on Rogers, there's really nothing to lose, at least coverage-wise.  If you don't need the number, you can just call up Rogers to cancel the service. 

If you do wish to take the phone number with you, havr Public Mobile take care of things to transfer the phone number.  In this type of situation, make sure that you do not cancel the Rogers service.  It must be left active to do a number port.  The successful phone number transfer automatcally closes out the Rogers service. You will still need to pay Rogers for any amounts owing up until that point.

You'll need a new sim card, which can be purchased online from Public Mobile for $10.

As for your phone, it will need to be either a Telus phone or unlocked and be compatible with UMTS 850/1900MHz.

ridge_goat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Should not have any issues in pei.  The province is pretty much all covered with bell towers, as for the iPhone you shouldn’t have any issues, I just brought over an iPhone 7 with no issues from Rogers!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mortclaire, you might want to check out the tower map situation in the areas of PEI that you will frequent.  Bell and Telus share resources. 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@F9ne wrote:

You just need a sim card and a compatible phone!

You likely won't even need a new number if you're able to port it over.

@F9ne you're misunderstanding the ask here!

@mortclaire is fine keeping their primary service with Rogers and keeping the number there.  They do not wish to switch full-time to PM and por their number over--they wish to get a PM SIM and use the service part-time, while in PEI.  They stated they are okay with using a spearate phone number with the PM SIM.  So, what you're suggesting is not what they are asking for.

However, yes @mortclaire, as @F9ne noted, all you need to do is order a SIM card and activate online with the instructions that come with the SIM card in the mail.

One last thing:  double-check your phone for compatibility using https://www.willmyphonework.net.  The reason I suggest this is that--particularly if you are using a phone imported from another region (Europe, Asia, etc) or a particuarly old phone--there is a possbility that your phone works with Rogers only because they operate a 2G GSM network.  Since Rogers are the only ones to do this in Canada, if your phone falls into this category, it will not work at all with Public Mobile.   If you're in doubt at all here, please reply with the brand and model (be as specific as possible on the model) here and one of us can help confirm compatibility for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you just want to activate a new plan and not port your number, just purchase a sim from either online, walmart, wow mobile boutique, or any other authorized retailer for Public Mobile. They are $10 + tax.

You might also want a referral number from someone already with Public Mobile because the on going promo until the next few days is if you activate online, you get $25 credit to your account rather than the usual $10.

F9ne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You just need a sim card and a compatible phone!

You likely won't even need a new number if you're able to port it over.

Need Help? Let's chat.