cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switching and porting from Bell

So I have 2 questions but first let me tell you my situation, my friend has a Bell contract which is done in 1 or 2 more months. And he is seeming to be scammed, so I showed him Public Mobile’s plans vs his. He has a $40 plan with bell with ONLY unlimited calling and texting, not even data. So he agreed to switch once his contract is over. 

He’s really not very techy and he often gets confused about stuff. So I will assist him, I though, did not port my number, I got a complete new one. 

So I would like if anyone knows what he needs to port his number from bell, for example does he need an account number to port? 

Are there any instructions on how to port his number when activating? Cause I have no idea how and i promised to assist him, please help me. Thank you.

EDIT: One more question. Is there a possible way for a port to fail? If so, what do I do then?

Accepted Solutions
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Switching and porting from Bell

@Asher2 

Easiest way to activate and port is to use the live chat for activations. Your friend will need the account number and to keep the Bell account  active to port.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

If any problems with the port call this number. Porting Team at 1-844-232-7678

View solution in original post

All Replies
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Asher2 

Easiest way to activate and port is to use the live chat for activations. Your friend will need the account number and to keep the Bell account  active to port.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

If any problems with the port call this number. Porting Team at 1-844-232-7678

View solution in original post

Follow JK8's steps, but I'm gonna double emphasize that your friend DO NOT cancel his Bell account before the number has successfully ported.

Mayor / Maire

@yuongmic You said that Bell should not be cancelled until porting complete. This is wrong. The customer shouldn't contact Bell to cancel unless they make a billing mistake. Porting out from them closes Bell account automatically. Calling to cancel is a very bad idea.  If Bell service still works, porting hasn't been successful.

Mayor / Maire

@Asher2 use the account number and pin number. these two numbers will show on his bill. there should be two similar account numbers. make sure he types in the one without letters. the pin number will be his voicemail password

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I actually did this when I switched to public mobile. All you will need is an old pin from the account or account number and the name on file and then it should be good to port. You need to remember to leave the other account (bell account) active until the port is complete-up to 48hrs. Once port is complet and functioning 100% then you can cancel old plan.

if any problems you can chat with Simon and answer his questions. If he cannot help you he will notify moderators and they will contact you and help you through the process. 

hope this helps 

@crystal95 wrote:

Hello. I actually did this when I switched to public mobile. All you will need is an old pin from the account or account number and the name on file and then it should be good to port. You need to remember to leave the other account (bell account) active until the port is complete-up to 48hrs. Once port is complet and functioning 100% then you can cancel old plan.

if any problems you can chat with Simon and answer his questions. If he cannot help you he will notify moderators and they will contact you and help you through the process. 

hope this helps 

Please note that this information about contacting Bell to cancel is not correct.

Bell should almost never be contacted to have the service cancelled.  The cancellation happens automatically once the porting is complete. There are rare cases that this needs to done (contacting Bell about it), such as when the number is fully ported over to Public Mobile, but Bell somehow "forgets" to cancel the service and they keep billing, but that's are. The best advice is to tell people not to contact the old provider (ever) to cancel. This is because, quite honestly, many people do not fully understand when porting is complete. Many think that just because the Public Mobile service is working, that porting is complete (when it isn't).  This will result in porting failure.

As for the porting time from Bell Mobility, this should be much faster than 48 hours. It's supposed to be done within 2.5 hours. 48 hours is a timeframe that is supposed to be aimed for if porting from Bell Canada (landline).

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Asher2 Please do not cancel with bell until you have received the confirmation text message for the port and that you have put the PM sim in your phone and see that it is functioning properly. 

One of the ways of a port to fail would be not replying to that text message from bell confirming that you would like to port your number. 

The next way could be that your PM sim does not work so I would maybe get a second to keep as a spare as they do sometimes get hacked or go bad. They are cheap price to pay further down the line when you see your sim card isnt working anymore. 

Oracle

@Asher2  FYI re: porting failure. Yes, it is possible, but rare, for a port-in to fail AND have no service on either carrier. The simplest backup for this is to install the app from Fongo, or TextNow. While connected to wifi (or cellular data) calling throughout Canada is free, and texting almost free.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.

Or see if what happened to me, is possible for you.  I studied and was ready to do it online.  After Christmas, I went to London Drugs to buy a sim and Paul says, do you want me to do it for you?  I said yes so fast and it was done in 10 minutes.  I did not have to do anything.  Public Mobile ported my number and cancelled Telus.  Thanks to London Drugs and Paul.

I had to unlock my phone but that is my own situation.

Need Help? Let's chat.