cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Strange nasty unwanted behavior of the Lucky Mobile network

Yesterday I switched to the Lucky Mobile from PM, attracted by its unlimited data offer. But as soon as I put in the LM SIM card into the phone, I found I am in for a big nasty undocumented and definitely unwanted behavior from its network. I really regretted my decision. I want to go back to PM.

My phone is Android v5 Lollipop. I do not turn the mobile data on all the time. I only turn it on when I need the data. But I found that, under LM's network, "3g" is always being displayed in the notification area, even when I turn off the mobile data, and in the bottom of the phone screen, I see a pair of "Send Data" & "Close Channel" being displayed alternatively ALL THE TIME, probably meaning some data traffic occurring in the background constantly. (I turn on "Restrict background application traffic". But still the same issue.)

Is LM sneakily stealing my data? How can it be when I specifically turn off mobile data? Can the phone manufacturer deliberately leave a back-door here and only let the carriers know it? My phone has no virus, because when I was with PM, there is no such behavior - as soon as I turn off mobile data, "3g" immediately disappears from the screen, and never sneakily comes back by itself. PM is honest in this aspect.

This sinister behavior has another problem, I think. It forces my phone to always be in the active status, never allowing my phone to enter into sleep/idle state, thus causing great damage to the battery.

Do phone manufacturers and Lucky Mobile deliberately set up this behavior, to steal my data, and to derive perverse pleasure by damaging my phone battery?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Strange nasty unwanted behavior of the Lucky Mobile network

@tim_zhao_tim im not sure about lucky's practice with data but if you want to come back to public mobile you just have to go buy a new Sim card and use a different email than you had on your old account and then set up a new account and port your number back in!  Don't forget a refferal code to get the 10$ or 20$ credit on your new account! 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim im not sure about lucky's practice with data but if you want to come back to public mobile you just have to go buy a new Sim card and use a different email than you had on your old account and then set up a new account and port your number back in!  Don't forget a refferal code to get the 10$ or 20$ credit on your new account! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Oracle

@tim_zhao_tim, Lucky is not being sneaky.  They cannot force your phone to consume data, no carrier can do that.  What is probably happening is some sort of sync feature that was running in the background.

Highlighted

But why no such (unwanted) behaviour when I was with PM?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim  It could be the unlimited data option kicking in 128kbps. In any event check your usage history to see what's happening.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have you also checked the setting of each of your apps? Any new apps that have been recently updated or downloaded? Some apps such as Instagram will turn on your phone to use the microphone .... go through each app to turn off settings which let it automatically use data such as location service and data. 

Highlighted

Since you are in LM already, why don't you stay in LM for 1 month to see what happen?

Highlighted

There was no such behaviour the day before yesterday when I was still with PM. Then it suddenly came up yesterday after I put in the LM SIM card. So I suspect it must be LM's network specific (and deliberate?) behaviour.

Highlighted

I would be more apt to blame that on your phone. No carrier can turn on and off your data. Your phone has to do it. That is not to say all carriers behave the same way on each phone. And bluntly, Android 5 is as buggy as hell! An app I used for lucky Mobile was Glasswire, to monitor my data. It gave me a good idea what was sucking my data. Google play services is a rather parasitic app, it turns out.
Highlighted

Switch back to Public Mobile. This community actually responds to your questions and we are here to help you. I will personally never leave Public Mobile. It's my home network and I don't plan to leave. The support I get is awesome.