cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still investigating Public

lefty4666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Visited a Koodo kiosk to try to find out information about moving from my postpaid acct to Public. Ah-ha.....The reason for the very limited Public plans(perfect for me) and the much lower costs (perfect for me) - no support service at all beyond on line, no call center - lots of scary stuff identified, the chap talking to me could not talk to me at all if I was with Public, better be very tech savy (as he looked at my flowing grey hair). But recent attempts to get help from Koodo, from self serve and at the kiosk and store front have been very unsatisfying, almost useless. I have had more good solid advice from this Public Community in the past 24 hours than ever from Koodo or others with expensive call centers (in Bangladeish?). Also, found out that Koodo and Public (and others?) are all really in the Tellus family. So....as I make my final decision, couple of questions. Has anyone run into an issue with Public so severe that the Community could not help get thru it with the only option being to leave Public? Tried to identify the costs if I have to get back to Koodo from Public - no straight answers. Are there cancellation costs if I have to depart Public? I have my own phone. As I understand it, there are no Public contracts - correct? Any issues getting a Public SIM card via the on line option? Sorry for the rambling, was badly burned with costs and surprises the last time I did a cell phone switch, very gun shy. Lefty

6 REPLIES 6

In my 4+ years with PM, i never had service related issues. Everything worked as advertised. However, i had to deal with the mod team a few times to adjust account related bugs which did not effect the service. You might face a bit of trouble at the beginning, but if you are familiar with how activation or porting is done and be patient a bit, it will be good for the long run. Every once in a while glitches happen, but mod team are pretty quick to fix issues. So i wouldn't say there are cases where people were really frustrated with the service and left. Most people leave due to better deals elsewhere on plan/phones or experienced bad signal in specific area. If you are here to save money, you will do exactly that. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@lefty4666, if you do all the up front research like you are doing now, you should be fine with this service.  The greatest angst that makes customers pull out their hair and want to leave right away comes from finding out that there is no call center after the fact.  Generally speaking, this service is no different than any other with the exception of using a ticketing system to seek customer service assistance instead of live chat/call center.  If you can tolerate waiting a few hours to 48 hours on the odd time that customer service is needed, this service can be the right one for you. 

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have helped several family members sign up to Public Mobile.

Ordering a SIM online is easy. Porting your number can take 2 min to 6 hours.

I like that i can change my own plan online. You may need to manully set up APN settings, this info can be found on the forum. "3G" Data speeds are great for me.

I have had no major problems. Its a good price.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lefty4666 

PM is prepaid service.  Therefore, no contract, no cancellation fee.  To cancel, all you need to do stop paying at renewal date or port your number to another provider.  There is no fee to port your number to PM or port your number from PM to another provider.  Make sure your number is active before you can port your number in or out of PM.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@lefty4666 wrote:

Visited a Koodo kiosk to try to find out information about moving from my postpaid acct to Public. Ah-ha.....The reason for the very limited Public plans(perfect for me) and the much lower costs (perfect for me) - no support service at all beyond on line, no call center - lots of scary stuff identified, the chap talking to me could not talk to me at all if I was with Public, better be very tech savy (as he looked at my flowing grey hair). But recent attempts to get help from Koodo, from self serve and at the kiosk and store front have been very unsatisfying, almost useless. I have had more good solid advice from this Public Community in the past 24 hours than ever from Koodo or others with expensive call centers (in Bangladeish?). Also, found out that Koodo and Public (and others?) are all really in the Tellus family. So....as I make my final decision, couple of questions. Has anyone run into an issue with Public so severe that the Community could not help get thru it with the only option being to leave Public? Tried to identify the costs if I have to get back to Koodo from Public - no straight answers. Are there cancellation costs if I have to depart Public? I have my own phone. As I understand it, there are no Public contracts - correct? Any issues getting a Public SIM card via the on line option? Sorry for the rambling, was badly burned with costs and surprises the last time I did a cell phone switch, very gun shy. Lefty

So glad to hear people doing research about where to sepnd their money!!  Now I am sure there have been people who have had issues with PM and have left.  There are no cancellations fees.  You aren't on any contract and can leave at anytime.  If you leave during one of yoru current active 30 day periods you will not be reimbursed any prorated portion of the plan that is all.  I have never had any issues with the online ordering of sims and when I did order mine originally I got it in 2 days and I live on Vancouver Island.  Remember as well if you come to PM and have someone to refer you, you will get an additional $10 credit (covers sim card cost) and right now it is also get second 30 days free.  Any other questions just ask!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is prepaid so if you leave PM  then you could lose any unused minutes/texts/data.  Most issues can be solved with community help.  Any other complicated or account related issues would usually require a moderator.  You can order a sim online through PM or using Amazon.

Need Help? Let's chat.