cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to switch plan/provider over to Public Mobile

pubmonewbie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have been preaching Public Mobile and already had a colleague 'steal' a referral lol

I am trying to convince another colleague to make the switch. My own transition from Rogers was not smooth, I was at a Wal-Mart and something went wrong and it required me to make a separate trip to sort that out. I do not want my colleague to experience any issues. What is a list of steps to switch providers and become a Public Mobile customer? Hoping for a clear list that someone can do remotely (unlike my experience, where I tried to do it in the city, then had to drive back a couple days later to fix the mistakes with porting). Really appreciate it.

5 REPLIES 5

scelford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

First step is make sure the phone is compatible with public mobile and unlocked. 

Next, make sure you have the account number from the old provider if you are porting a number. In my experience using the PIN number is not reliable as most people have no idea what their pin is.

Have the new sim card ready and go to the activate section on public mobile's website and fill out the required information. Any issues, reach out to a mod.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@pubmonewbie tell your colleague to follow these instructions

if porting, only use the account number(make sure this is the correct number. if there are two similar numbers, choose the number without letters) and pin(voicemail password) from the previous provider

leave the apt field blank

anytime you're proceeding to the next page and its loading, keep wiggling your mouse curser so the system doesn't hang. do this till the next page loads.

when registering your credit card use all capital letters. after clicking "process payment" don't forget to keep wiggling your mouse 👍

then insert your sim, reset your network settings and restart your phone

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@pubmonewbie If you have the old account number and don’t want them to activate online, for example, if they aren’t tech-savvy, you can have them visit a physical location from the find a store link on the bottom of this page. The online process is easy if you have all the required information, but there’s always a plan B. The in-store person will port the number over and can set up autopay. The user will still have to register on the self-serve account by themselves through.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

First check if phone is compatible on PM network and that it's unlocked.

Go buy a sim card and bring it home. Go to the activation link

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Follow all the steps there. One step will be an option to port cell number from another provider. Enter the details to port. If it's Koodo prepaid select a new number then contact moderators to port.

Pretty straight forward and simple.

One recommendation. Is doing the activation in a fresh incognito mode browser.

Need Help? Let's chat.