cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting in PM, doubts about compatibility and purchase

cfrutos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Moved recently to Montreal and was looking into getting my phone number, found PM and liked how it seems, I just have a couple of questions.

Was just using the tool in the site if my phone would work within the  network of public mobile, it's an iPhone 6. I looked at some posts that mentioned which devices would work and it looks like my phone would work but I checked the IMEI and it said that it would not work and it was marked as stolen (?)

Also, the PM sim card are sold in Walmart? Or where could I get one?

27 REPLIES 27

1Dani

This site works great, I have used it several times and it worked every time.   https://www.cellunlocker.net/ highly worth the money and you can pay by paypal.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

an iphone6 wouldnt work??????i dunno about that, usually its the phones from out of market like from asia that don't work.

@slash407 FYI, compatibility isn't the issue; the issue is that PM's IMEI checker thinks it's blacklisted. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@cfrutos  good luck and hope it works with someone else's sim.  If it is "locked" to your previous carrier's network, I wouldn't give up with them on getting it unlocked.  No real reason why they shouldn't unlock it.  Also, there are various other "unlock" services advertised everywhere on the internet and at small stores thoroughout various cities.  Not sure how legitimate they are and can't vouch for any, but might be worth exploring berfore giving up on your iphone.

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cfrutos wrote:

@hzmy@BarryS

Thanks for the support, will be coming back to this later today. Will try a friends SIM card and see what's up.

If not I'll buy another phone later on, already contacted apple and they told me to contact the carrier so that's a dead end.

Good Luck! And if it turns out be to a network lock phone and no one can help, go online and by an unlock code. 

cfrutos

@hzmy@BarryS

Thanks for the support, will be coming back to this later today. Will try a friends SIM card and see what's up.

If not I'll buy another phone later on, already contacted apple and they told me to contact the carrier so that's a dead end.

BarryS

@hzmy Thanks for the clarification about the IMEI vs SIM!  You are right.  My bad!

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Firstly, I would try a friend's SIM card in your phone, preferably Telus, Koodo, or Public Mobile. If it works, go ahead and buy a PM SIM card and set up your account. If it doesn't work your phone is more than likely locked. You've already sought help from your carrier, so call Apple. Contrary to what was stated above, yes, they can unlock it for you.

GC 

hzmy

@cfrutos wrote:

@BarryS

@hzmy

So I double checked in https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/  and it marks it as not stolen/blacklisted

Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

The carrier from Mexico after all the talking it could be summed up in: "Well. Good Luck." How should I proceed?

Check the network lock.

And check, which I hope the iPhone 6 in Mexico supports the telus 4G bands

Carld123

@cfrutos wrote:

@BarryS

@hzmy

So I double checked in https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/  and it marks it as not stolen/blacklisted

Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

The carrier from Mexico after all the talking it could be summed up in: "Well. Good Luck." How should I proceed?
Chances are its network locked to the carrier..try a friends sim card in it...

cfrutos

@BarryS

@hzmy

hzmy

@BarryS wrote:

@cfrutos  did you double check the IMEI number through one of the IMEI Device Check websites like divicecheck.ca?  If you do and it shows stolen, do not try any other sim in the device as it will automatically be blacklisted.  Hopefully the previous provider can solve the problem remotely as having to return to mexico for that type of service is rediculous.  Maybe even Apple could help?

Blacklist happened on the phone IMEI level, not the SIM level.

So, if you put anyone else SIM to that phone, it's okay.

Another way to test it is just to borrow someone's SIM, insert it, and see if it still works. if it does not, I'm pretty sure your phone has been blacklisted.

Apply may not be able to help in this case, since it's not purchased from them directly.

BarryS

@cfrutos  did you double check the IMEI number through one of the IMEI Device Check websites like divicecheck.ca?  If you do and it shows stolen, do not try any other sim in the device as it will automatically be blacklisted.  Hopefully the previous provider can solve the problem remotely as having to return to mexico for that type of service is rediculous.  Maybe even Apple could help?

user2018
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@1Dani wrote:

London Drugs sells SIM cards, no hassels, don't try Walmart, waste of time, they won't sell blank SIMs.

I got my SIM from walmart without any hassel or anything. I just appeared and asked for a blank sim and got it for $10+tax.

hzmy

@cfrutos wrote:

@hzmy

It's blacklisted because apparently that's what they do with all of their phones.

My guess is to be able to control/monitor in their interest what the phoens are used for. Carrier is Telcel

That's really a very stupid way to restrict people if I may say so. It means you cannot go abroad, or switch to different carrier if the contract ends?

Anyways, if you can't solve the issue, try to by an phone locally, or order an Oneplus phone, or something like that. Given it is iPhone 6, I think it has seen better days, and it's about time to get retired. 

cfrutos

@hzmy

It's blacklisted because apparently that's what they do with all of their phones.

My guess is to be able to control/monitor in their interest what the phoens are used for. Carrier is Telcel

hzmy

@cfrutos wrote:

@RobertQc

So I called my carrier to verify what could be done and apparently to be able to unblock it I need to literally go to Mexico and be phisically there for them to unblock it. I just wonder when will the carriers back in there will update their ways, this is not the first issue that has been presented similar to this.

Sooo I will need to buy a new phone if I don't find a way to unblock it

Did they tell you why they blacklisted your phone? Which carrier was it?

cfrutos

@RobertQc

So I called my carrier to verify what could be done and apparently to be able to unblock it I need to literally go to Mexico and be phisically there for them to unblock it. I just wonder when will the carriers back in there will update their ways, this is not the first issue that has been presented similar to this.

Sooo I will need to buy a new phone if I don't find a way to unblock it

@cfrutos

IME Checker on Public mobile site sometimes is inaccurate.  Maybe try a friend or family member's SIM card in your phone.  If another Canadian carrier's SIM card works, then your phone should be fine on Pubic mobile.  

As mentioned before, might want to call your Mexican phone carrier or maybe Apple itself.  

As for vendors of PM SIM cards, they include Walmart, WOW mobile, K mobile, The mobile shop (inside superstores), London Drugs (Western Canada) and some authorized Koodo dealers..  Walmart reps have a reputation of not wanting to sell you the SIM card alone without instore activation.  Since there are no active promotions for at home, online activations presently, you can let the Walmart activate for you.  

hzmy

@cfrutos wrote:

Moved recently to Montreal and was looking into getting my phone number, found PM and liked how it seems, I just have a couple of questions.

Was just using the tool in the site if my phone would work within the  network of public mobile, it's an iPhone 6. I looked at some posts that mentioned which devices would work and it looks like my phone would work but I checked the IMEI and it said that it would not work and it was marked as stolen (?)

When you insert the SIM and it said unregistered SIM, it's most likely on the blacklist, and you need to contact your previous company to explain the situation and remove the blacklist out of it.

CellAid

If the checker reveals that the phone won't work, it won't.

@cfrutos wrote:

@RobertQc

Term contract.

I did finish the contract.

I don't think I still have the receipt of the phone.

Everything was in good state, never owed anything.

@cfrutosGive your old provider a call (in mexico) and explain to them the phone has been marked as stolen and to rectify that for you

Carld123

@cfrutos

Contact your previous provider...

cfrutos

@RobertQc

Term contract.

I did finish the contract.

I don't think I still have the receipt of the phone.

Everything was in good state, never owed anything.

1Dani

London Drugs sells SIM cards, no hassels, don't try Walmart, waste of time, they won't sell blank SIMs.

@cfrutos wrote:

@RobertQcBack in Mexico, from my network carrier in Mexico.

How can this be fixed?

@cfrutosDid you pay full price or was it from a term contract? Did you finish the contract if it was contract? Do you have a receipet? Was your account in good standing when you left? Or did you owe them money when you left?

cfrutos

@RobertQcBack in Mexico, from my network carrier in Mexico.

How can this be fixed?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@cfrutos wrote:

@cfrutosWhere did you buy the iphone 6 from?

If its marked as stolen it canno't be used to connect to the cellular network until that is fixed.

Yes walmart sells sim cards but you may have difficulty buying one, they are very selective of who they sell the sim card to.

Need Help? Let's chat.