cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Guide : Setup / Activation / Port / Data

jun3280
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a quick visual guide to get 90% of new users up and running without needing to search through the thousands of threads.  I've also included useful threads should you have other questions beyond what my guide covers.

APN Data (Mansi_G and li-upgrade)

Activation Details (Luddite)

Province Wide Calling Explained (neilselden)

New User FAQ (dhanadhan)

General Info (makkahn28)

Getting Started (Mansi_G)

All About Payments (Mansi_G)

Switching Plans (alexzxn)

Step 1: Activate SIM

Public Mobile Account1.png

Step 2: Setup Self Serve

Public Mobile Account2.PNG

Step 3: Select A Number

Public Mobile Account3.PNG

Step 4: Porting

Public Mobile Port.PNG

44 REPLIES 44

KimS57

Emergency calls only.

KimS57

Did that

@KimS57 wrote:

I am with Rogers and I am trying to change over with no luck.

@KimS57  What are the issues that you're having? We need a bit more information to help you.

KimS57

I am with Rogers and I am trying to change over with no luck.

KimS57

Did all that.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JoanneTierney wrote:

Thanks for all the great advice I finally got the phone working. Now the new sim card is working but the sim for my old provider where I transferred the number from is still working. Do I need to contact them to arrange for the cancellation seperately even though I transferred the number.

No need to contact your old provider. Since you ported your number over, your account with the old provider will be automatically cancelled.

As for the both sim cards working, give it some more time for the transfer to fully complete.

"The number transfer process can take up to 2 hours to complete for a mobile phone number. When you transfer a landline number, the process can take up to 3 business days. When your number transfer is complete, you will receive a confirmation text message."

JoanneTierney
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for all the great advice I finally got the phone working. Now the new sim card is working but the sim for my old provider where I transferred the number from is still working. Do I need to contact them to arrange for the cancellation seperately even though I transferred the number.

Ngoik

Thank you! I was super worried about porting. But I followed the steps and all seemed to work.

Just a side note: I hit the confirm button, it loaded for a minute and then absolutley nothing happened, no confirmation on the screen, nothing. I tried checking the elegibility of my number again, and it gave me an error. I had to take the sim out a couple times and put it back in for it all to kick in. It took a few minutes to recieve the confirmation text. 

So nothing might happen right away, but give it a few and it should kick in and work. 

eDixit

Thanks! I initially tried Public Mobile's steps to port from Rogers, but that didn't work.

Your guide worked like a charm!

Chandelie

Thank you. All set now 🙂

@Chandelie wrote:

I just signed up and there is no option to port your number, (i.e. no step 4) if you choose a Public Mobile number. Now I have to figure out how/where to go to do that. Save yourself a headache and don't follow this guide and just port it right away during the sign up process rather than choosing a public mobile number.

Once you have your account set up and a temporary number, login to the account.  On the main landing page, there is a change number link.  You can even crtl-f to find it.  From there you can do the number transfer. 

Chandelie

I just signed up and there is no option to port your number, (i.e. no step 4) if you choose a Public Mobile number. Now I have to figure out how/where to go to do that. Save yourself a headache and don't follow this guide and just port it right away during the sign up process rather than choosing a public mobile number.

nd
Great guide: one note - on the payment screen if you're paying by credit card, select your country before entering your province.

Before you select your country, the Province field is a text field. Once you select your country (e.g. Canada), it changes into a drop-down menu. I had to repeat the entire activation form because I entered my province before selecting Canada.

PhoneSeeker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the guide, I'm sure it will help many people! Smiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.