cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot GPS and messaging

BobbyJ
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello - I'm in Victoria. I bought a SPOT GPS locator. Their web site invites you to enter contact cell phone numbers that the SPOT will send SMS to when activated. Dammed if I can get it to work. Because the manufacturer is in Virginia, I assume that its an "International" text message. Does the Public Mobile network support this? And how do you configure the network name and number?

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11

@BobbyJ wrote:

Yes. That work good now. 

Thanks for your help

@BobbyJ  Glad I could help. 🙂 Take care, stay safe!

BobbyJ

Yes. That work good now. 

Thanks for your help

@BobbyJ wrote:

The SPOT website does have Telus listed as a carrier. When Telus is selected it inserts the SMS gateway as "msg.telus.com" . Also their system only allows a 10 digits phone number so the leading 1 can't be included? 

What is the Public Mobile SMS Gateway name?

@BobbyJ  If that is the case then it seems that their system is sending a txt via email. You can try it yourself from your email account send a email to 

*yourphonenumber@msg.telus.com

and if that doesn't work then try

*yournumber@msg.koodomobile.com

* Replace your *yourphonenumber with your number.

BobbyJ

The SPOT website does have Telus listed as a carrier. When Telus is selected it inserts the SMS gateway as "msg.telus.com" . Also their system only allows a 10 digits phone number so the leading 1 can't be included? 

What is the Public Mobile SMS Gateway name?

@BobbyJ  If the  website is requesting a Network Name and Public Mobile is not available then use Telus. You number should be entered as +1(area code)phone number. If it's asking you for a network id use 302220

BobbyJ

Hi - Yes email does work. I will use that as well. I want SMS because it chimes (and repeats) in most cases getting the owners attention. 

This is mostly an Emergency devise. 

Thanks for your response

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BobbyJ  It should work without any issues because the text is incoming and you should be able to receive it from anywhere in the world including from the USA without any restrictions.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BobbyJ wrote:

Hello - I'm in Victoria. I bought a SPOT GPS locator. Their web site invites you to enter contact cell phone numbers that the SPOT will send SMS to when activated. Dammed if I can get it to work. Because the manufacturer is in Virginia, I assume that its an "International" text message. Does the Public Mobile network support this? And how do you configure the network name and number?

Cheers

You also have the option for Spot to send a message to an email address.  Does that work?

@Daps wrote:

All plans with texting include international text messages.

This isn't actually the case for people with some older price plans. Some plans that were offered in the past only included domestic Canada-wide messages. If a customer is still on one of these plans, sending text messages to an international destination wouldn't be possible.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Make sure your device is compatible with public mobile frequencies:

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

All plans with texting include international text messages.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@BobbyJ wrote:

Cheers

I am also in Victoria.  PM does support International texting.  Have you tried 1 area code and number? 1(250) ******** or 778 or whatever your area code is

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.