cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoofed number?

setmeioh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Received 2 calls today saying that I called them. And I didn't. Nothing shows up in outgoing calls either. Is there any working solution (except changing my number)? Couldn't find any on this forum.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

SomeDude

I had some guy call me up and literally yell at me because he got called from my number by a CRA scammer.  So they spoofed my number 3 times and called him.

I finally calmed him down after insisting he block my number.  Then he apologized.

The CRTC needs to fix this ASAP!   Why in blazes did they think implementing the phone system like SMTP was a good idea?!?!?!?!?

@darlicious wrote:

I did notice that everyone who was called or any calls I received started with the same 3 digits as mine. XXX-872-XXXX 

That's common. They might think you'll answer because you could think it's a friend or neighbour.

firelogic

Yes, hopefully it'll stop soon because it's not just me that's being bothered. The people who are getting called with my number are suffering too.

firelogic

Yes it's definitely annoying but like you said, even if I change my number there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Thanks for the help 🙂

I have had this happen in the past...it was quite frequent and very annoying. I still get a couple calls a year with the same problem. I did notice that everyone who was called or any calls I received started with the same 3 digits as mine. XXX-872-XXXX They will probably continue for awhile and then slowly recede to just an occasional call. I've had my number for 20 years so just put up with it if you can.

@firelogic wrote:

I'm not getting spoofed calls but rather my number has been spoofed and an auto-dialer is calling people and they think I'm the one calling them so they in turn call me asking why. I'm not sure if it's over or just a slow day but only 1 person has called me today versus 10 yesterday.

I figured waiting it out was the only option as I don't want to change my number as I've had it for over a decade.

I see, I actually know what you mean having both been spoofed (receiving calls from my number), and having someone else asking why I called them, same as you.  That was quite a while ago and on the landline, it took a few days, or perhaps a couple weeks before it stopped.  The phone company said there was nothing they could do when I reported what was happening and to wait it out.  Sorry to hear it's happening to you.

firelogic

I'm not getting spoofed calls but rather my number has been spoofed by an auto-dialer/spammer which is calling people and they think I'm the one calling them so they in turn call me asking why. These are legit people and not telemarketers. I'm not sure if it's over or just a slow day but only 1 person has called me today versus 10 yesterday.

I figured waiting it out was the only option as I don't want to change my number as I've had it for over a decade.

@firelogic wrote:

I've been experiencing the same problem over the last few weeks. I've been getting as many as 10 calls per day from people. I haven't been answering them as they're all unknown numbers or people's names I don't recognize but a few have left voicemail messages asking why I called and another said, "stop calling my cell."

Perusing the interwebs, I've discovered that there's nothing we can do about it beyond waiting it out or changing our number.

It's been a while since you've posted. Have the calls stopped for you?

Thanks

Getting spoofed calls is seeing your own number calling you. 

What you are getting (like many others, including myself), is telemarketers/spammers calling.  It does seem to be a little worse right now.  All you can do right now is either try to ignore or, if possible, block those numbers on your phone's settings.  Even changing numbers wouldn't eliminate this problem, because most are done by auto-diallers which eventually will get around to calling your new number.

It's annoying but unfortunately not a lot can be done right now to stop these callers.

firelogic

I've been experiencing the same problem over the last few weeks. I've been getting as many as 10 calls per day from people. I haven't been answering them as they're all unknown numbers or people's names I don't recognize but a few have left voicemail messages asking why I called and another said, "stop calling my cell."

Perusing the interwebs, I've discovered that there's nothing we can do about it beyond waiting it out or changing our number.

It's been a while since you've posted. Have the calls stopped for you?

Thanks

setmeioh

Ok, hopefully will be gone soon then!

Thanks!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@setmeioh wrote:

Received 2 calls today saying that I called them. And I didn't. Nothing shows up in outgoing calls either. Is there any working solution (except changing my number)? Couldn't find any on this forum.

Thanks!

@setmeioh  Unfortunately this happens and there is nothing you can do about it if its a spoofed number. Those spammers will change numbers rapidly and should be gone real soon.

Of course the other possible thing, you should log into self serve look into your history and make sure there is no outgoing calls you don't recognize in your history, could be a rouge app / someone duplicated your sim and is using your PM account.

Need Help? Let's chat.