cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoof calls & calls to voicemail?

Eru
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This has been going on for a while where sometimes I get calls from random numbers but in the past couple days it has escalated. Just this day alone I've gotten 13+ calls from different numbers in the US (mainly California) with some numbers calling up to 10 times and 3 voicemails saying I called them asking for a quote for phone plans and clearly it's not me because they've got the name wrong; so I figured someone is using my number to make these calls. However these calls show up on my PM call history as originating from my number calling to voicemail 647 580 4001 and not incoming calls from these random numbers to me. Is this a problem with voicemail too and is there anyway to get these calls to stop at all? 

11 REPLIES 11

Change your screenlock PIN. Take care to not let anyone observe your PIN entry. Change it any time you think it might have been observed.

Don't use numbers or codes which people who know you can easily guess. Remember that while you might choose to trust certain other people you also might not be able to trust all the other people they choose trust in turn.

Don't let others operate your phone (make calls, whatever) when the screenlock is open. At least not out of your sight. If it's unavoidable then use the phone security software to lock settings/etc with another PIN.

Don't let others have access to the phone (when it's on charger, whatever). At least not out of your sight.

You can lock the SIM card so it's effectively married to the device, unusable anywhere else without the unlock code. You can erase the unique SIM ID number printed on the SIM card so it can't easily be used (in another phone) to pry into your account.

These steps are enough to keep out opportunistic and casual intrusions, common phone thieves, devious "friends", etc.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Eru this sounds more like someone close to you or someone you know, is playing games.

@Eru wrote:

I've had this number for a while. I guess I'll just have to keep blocking and waiting it out, it just bothers me that they know and are giving out my name. Thanks! 

Does your name and phone number appear on any web site or social media???

Eru

I've had this number for a while. I guess I'll just have to keep blocking and waiting it out, it just bothers me that they know and are giving out my name. Thanks! 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Eru wrote:

I've recently gotten 5 more calls and a voicemail... except this time they know my name too. I'm just wondering how the person using my number also knows my name and if I should be concerned?

@Eru   Is this a new number or one you've had a long time? 

If the number you have isn't important to you, you can always change it within your self serve account by clicking change my number on the right hand side of the overview page, or by clicking the plans/add-on tab, then selecting change number

Changing numbers is permitted once every 30 days for free.  Other than that just keep blocking and hopefully (usually) the calls do become less frequent although they never stop.

Eru

I've recently gotten 5 more calls and a voicemail... except this time they know my name too. I'm just wondering how the person using my number also knows my name and if I should be concerned?

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block, check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name usually comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

Keeping your contact list up to date is very important as most calls that are NOT in your contacts list will show a phone number ONLY and that will tip you off, that the caller may be unknown to you.

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1605628028989.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

©️2020

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I think "File A Complaint" is the part of that advice most likely to achieve results.

Though I'd personally not waste time filling out electronic paperwork for some "Canadian Privacy & Anti-Fraud Commission". Those guys already know who people are complaining about, assuming they actually do the job they're paid to do.

I would instead complain to Telus about refusing to provide UNCB, lol.

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have blocked numbers the calls can still go to voicemail.  Nevertheless....just block, block and block some more. 

@Eru wrote:

This has been going on for a while where sometimes I get calls from random numbers but in the past couple days it has escalated. Just this day alone I've gotten 13+ calls from different numbers in the US (mainly California) with some numbers calling up to 10 times and 3 voicemails saying I called them asking for a quote for phone plans and clearly it's not me because they've got the name wrong; so I figured someone is using my number to make these calls. However these calls show up on my PM call history as originating from my number calling to voicemail 647 580 4001 and not incoming calls from these random numbers to me. Is this a problem with voicemail too and is there anyway to get these calls to stop at all? 

The calls shown in your usage history from that phone number are not outgoing calls. That number is your voicemail number and only indicates that someone called you and was directed to your voicemail. Someone spoofiing your number and making calls will not show up in your usage history.

Need Help? Let's chat.