cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of 1G Data Add-On if I get $15 plan?

fuGGet321
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

New here in the Public Mobile world, and haven't quite yet pulled the trigger because I'm undecided on which plan I would like. I only discovered this company very recently, and I'm definitely eager to get on board but I am trying to do it the right way as best as possible!

I understand that the Data Add-On is "restricted" to the speed at which you have your plan on, which is essentially means that it is virtually impossible to have an "LTE Data Add-On". Unless I'm missing something, even the lowest level $15 "Talk and Text only plan" sort of "comes" with data if you set up AutoPay for the $2 discount. Even here, the website clearly states the 250MB of Bonus Data is 3G speed with AutoPay on.

Hypothetical: what if I elected not to use AutoPay, which therefore means I do not "give" myself 3G data to be limited by? Is it then not possible to get the $15 plan, without data, and then give myself 1GB of LTE data via Add-On in order to effectively "build" myself a limited Talk plan with 1GB of LTE data?

This may seem silly because (again I should reiterate that I am new here), this gives me:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB LTE Data Add-On = $30 (i.e. more $ for less, but faster data)

Instead of:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB "3G" Data Add-On - $2 AutoPay & 250MB 3G Data = $28 (i.e. less $ for more, but slower data)

Or, would me getting the Data Add-On cause the Bonus 250MB to get throttled up to LTE speed? Since it is after-all a Bonus? Seems like wishful thinking, but I want to be totally clear on this! 🙃

45 REPLIES 45

fuGGet321

@RossNAre you sure about that? That's not what I read at number 7 in the Terms & Conditions:

Public-T&C.jpg

@fuGGet321 Since you plan to use very little data it's unlikely you will find LTE much advantage over PM's 3G: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@fuGGet321 Btw I'm curious what do you plan to do with 1 GB of data on LTE (that can't be done with 3G speed). I would fully understand if we were talking about larger plans (like 4 GB and higher), but 1 GB only goes so far. Just saying, a lot of people here are more than happy with their $25 1 GB plan.

No point contacting mods regarding this issue as they are busier than usual.

fuGGet321

@LovesToPMInteresting that I've gotten three different answers saying three different things already, but I would like to agree with you since this is basically the answer I want to hear! Lol

Is it poor Community etiquette to summon a Mod here to confirm or deny which of these answers is the correct one??

I also realize the $15 Add-On is a temporary price point. As I'm continuing to do my homework, I'm also learning how Add-Ons are sort of their own separate entity since they roll over and don't renew like a plan does.

I'd imagine that the Add-On is bound to return to its original $30 price point sooner or later. So, this kind of makes my little strategy a little less effective as my sneaky little $30 AutoPay-less Talk and Text "only" (+LTE Data) plan would really end up becoming $45, correct?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@fuGGet321 Why not "take one for the gipper."! Risk $2 and get the $15 plan/1 GB add-on without autopay.

If you can come out to western Mississauga I will donate a SIM for the experiment in person from 6' away; otherwise send me a private message & I'll mail it out. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

Let's discover something, eh?

Experiment! What could go wrong?Experiment! What could go wrong?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed. 

@gblackma wrote:

Excluding the $30 1GIG data only plan @fuGGet321  all PM data 4g LTE  throttled to 3 mbps or 3g unthrottled max between 21 and 42 mbps depending on the band.  The $15 1 gig of data is normally priced at $30. A better fit for you would be the $25 plan with autopay you would get a whole 1 gig of data. This plan

Screenshot_20200323-005503.jpg

@gblackma you are correct. The only differences are:

1. Data with $25 plan is at 3G speed.

2. Any unused data from the 1 GB add-on will remain on the account until it is fully consumed.

Whereas with the $25 plan, the 1 GB of data is reset at each renewal.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321  good thinking.

If you are on autopay and receive the 250 mb, your 1 GB add-on will also be at 3G speed.

If you opt out of autopay and do not receive the bonus data, your 1 GB add-on will be a LTE speed.

@LovesToPM   Good to know:)

I remember Alan_K explaining all this in a previous community post.  🙂

Ahh, okay thanks, so in fact it the add-on data does work similar to the expired $10 plan.

Edit: or not according to @computergeek541 ...

@LovesToPM wrote:

If you opt out of autopay and do not receive the bonus data, your 1 GB add-on will be a LTE speed.

I don't have first hand expeirence, but I'm no so sure about this.  My belief is that Public Mobile considers this as a 3g plan regardless of autopay status.

@dabr wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

If you are on autopay and receive the 250 mb, your 1 GB add-on will also be at 3G speed.

@LovesToPM   Good to know:)

I remember Alan_K explaining all this in a previous community post.  🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Excluding the $30 1GIG data only plan @fuGGet321  , all the other PM plans  are  4g LTE  data throttled to 3 mbps and 3g data unthrottled max between 21 and 42 mbps depending on the band.  The $15 1 gig of data is normally priced at $30 and at some point will go back to that price. A better fit for you would be the $25 plan with autopay you would get a whole 1 gig of data. This plan

Screenshot_20200323-005503.jpg

@LovesToPM wrote:

@LovesToPM   Good to know 🙂

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@fuGGet321 wrote:

Hi all,

New here in the Public Mobile world, and haven't quite yet pulled the trigger because I'm undecided on which plan I would like. I only discovered this company very recently, and I'm definitely eager to get on board but I am trying to do it the right way as best as possible!

I understand that the Data Add-On is "restricted" to the speed at which you have your plan on, which is essentially means that it is virtually impossible to have an "LTE Data Add-On". Unless I'm missing something, even the lowest level $15 "Talk and Text only plan" sort of "comes" with data if you set up AutoPay for the $2 discount. Even here, the website clearly states the 250MB of Bonus Data is 3G speed with AutoPay on.

Hypothetical: what if I elected not to use AutoPay, which therefore means I do not "give" myself 3G data to be limited by? Is it then not possible to get the $15 plan, without data, and then give myself 1GB of LTE data via Add-On in order to effectively "build" myself a limited Talk plan with 1GB of LTE data?

This may seem silly because (again I should reiterate that I am new here), this gives me:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB LTE Data Add-On = $30 (i.e. more $ for less, but faster data)

Instead of:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB "3G" Data Add-On - $2 AutoPay & 250MB 3G Data = $28 (i.e. less $ for more, but slower data)

Or, would me getting the Data Add-On cause the Bonus 250MB to get throttled up to LTE speed? Since it is after-all a Bonus? Seems like wishful thinking, but I want to be totally clear on this! 🙃

@fuGGet321   That's an interesting question and I'm not really sure about which speed data you would get if you chose not to add autopay to get the bonus data.  Generally it defaults to the plan speed as you noted.  I remember on the $10 plan (no longer offered), which didn't include data that any add-on data was at 4G.  The only 4G 1/GB data plan at $30 doesn't have any calling or texting features and you would not be able to add any calling add-ons to it either.

My guess would be that the data would default to 3G but maybe not.  Someone here will definitely have a better idea though.  Good to know you're doing your homework first before activating 🙂

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Please note that the current price for 1 GB add-on might be a temporary measure. The regular price for this add-on is usually $30.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@fuGGet321 the 1gb data add is at 3g speed only the 1gb data plan at 30 dollars is 4g lte speed  

Need Help? Let's chat.