cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of 1G Data Add-On if I get $15 plan?

fuGGet321
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

New here in the Public Mobile world, and haven't quite yet pulled the trigger because I'm undecided on which plan I would like. I only discovered this company very recently, and I'm definitely eager to get on board but I am trying to do it the right way as best as possible!

I understand that the Data Add-On is "restricted" to the speed at which you have your plan on, which is essentially means that it is virtually impossible to have an "LTE Data Add-On". Unless I'm missing something, even the lowest level $15 "Talk and Text only plan" sort of "comes" with data if you set up AutoPay for the $2 discount. Even here, the website clearly states the 250MB of Bonus Data is 3G speed with AutoPay on.

Hypothetical: what if I elected not to use AutoPay, which therefore means I do not "give" myself 3G data to be limited by? Is it then not possible to get the $15 plan, without data, and then give myself 1GB of LTE data via Add-On in order to effectively "build" myself a limited Talk plan with 1GB of LTE data?

This may seem silly because (again I should reiterate that I am new here), this gives me:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB LTE Data Add-On = $30 (i.e. more $ for less, but faster data)

Instead of:

$15 base plan + $15 1GB "3G" Data Add-On - $2 AutoPay & 250MB 3G Data = $28 (i.e. less $ for more, but slower data)

Or, would me getting the Data Add-On cause the Bonus 250MB to get throttled up to LTE speed? Since it is after-all a Bonus? Seems like wishful thinking, but I want to be totally clear on this! 🙃

45 REPLIES 45

@fuGGet321   Keep this in mind :

$15 for 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + 250MB AutoPay Bonus Details

Plan Details:
  • 30-day plan
  • 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk
  • Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging3
  • Bonus 250MB with AutoPay4
  • Voicemail and Call Display

(4) Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network managemreent and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

(7) Data Add-Ons to supplement a Data Plan will be provisioned at the data speed selected in your plan. If you have a Talk and/or Text Plan only with no data, the Data Add-Ons available to you will be defaulted to 4G LTE speed. US Roaming speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, our partner’s applicable network management, the base plan you have purchased and other factors.

So I'm sticking with my original wager...as it implies that you have the autopay 250mb bonus. All bonuses are "3G". The $10 plan came with no autopay data bonus option...option being key.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed. I get that on my mobile browser. But my W10 tablet on FF sees what I showed.

Yet more quirkiness around here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...it does say something in the Plans/Add-ons pull out area.

dataaddon.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fuGGet321 

If the 250 appears and I suspect it will then it will say 3G.

No one except the company would know and then maybe they would say something in advance. Maybe.

fuGGet321

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321 

If you signup for a $15 plan without activating autopay, you'll know right away whether you have the 3G or LTE plan.
Just logon your self-serve account to confirm.

1. If the plan has no (bonus) data, then any data Add-Ons will be at LTE speed.

2. If the plan has the 250 MB bonus data, then you have 3G plan and the throttled speed will kick-in within 72 hours.

During activation, immediately after entering your credit card info, just make sure to select "No thanks" under AutoPay registration.

This is true, and it's really not a a big gamble for me to test it out.. I'm really only sacrificing $2 from AutoPay to see if this works. Not like I won't be using the data eventually anyways.

Keep in mind, I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive in the mail and I do not have a self-service account to view this kind of information yet (as much as I'm eager to find out what will happen).

Would the self-service account show me whether my data is 3G or LTE? Or would I have to speed test it (after 72 hours) to figure this out myself?

Also, I can't find anywhere on the site or the Community that says anything about how long the $15 1GB Data Add-On rate will last. Could anyone provide any intel on an expiry date for this price point?

@fuGGet321 

If you signup for a $15 plan without activating autopay, you'll know right away whether you have the 3G or LTE plan.
Just logon your self-serve account to confirm.

1. If the plan has no (bonus) data, then any data Add-Ons will be at LTE speed.

2. If the plan has the 250 MB bonus data, then you have 3G plan and the throttled speed will kick-in within 72 hours.

During activation, immediately after entering your credit card info, just make sure to select "No thanks" under AutoPay registration.

@fuGGet321  My money is on it being throttled LTE (after 72 hrs). Whatever you do don't do a speed test for the first 3 days because it could eat up 200mb of data. If you want to test the speed do what I did to test the 4G LTE  on my $10 account (comparing with my throttled data account.) I took before and after screenshots of both my phone data usage and my account data usage after turning off my wifi and turning on my mobile data and playing the same song/ video on YouTube. It showed the difference in data used between the two speeds (considerable) but only used about 20mb of 4G rather than 200mb!

@fuGGet321  wrote:

HOWEVER, the question still remains...

Is it possible to access LTE data speeds on the $15 a month plan, via Add-On, if you do not use AutoPay?

@fuGGet321   Well there's only one way to find out is for you to activate the $15 plan with a temporary number and not enable autopay.  You also have the offer of a free SIM from @Luddite towards this endeavour.  Until it's tried no-one can really be sure what speed data you would receive as there are all sorts of anomalies/discrepancies in the PM system.

So the only question is if you are willing to risk at least $30+tax ($15+15) for the plan/add-on data to see if you get LTE speed or not?

fuGGet321

@darlicious wrote:

@fuGGet321  To make money you have to spend money....this is my suggestion to you. First of all if you employ all the appropriate data saving measures in your phone these kind of delivery apps use very little data and if you know where you are going and don't need Google maps giving you step by step directions you won't be burning thru data its not like you're watching YouTube. When you're standing around waiting for your delivery order to come out you'll be on free telus, Shaw, the restaurants, someone's WiFi. The rest of the time your pedaling like a madman listening to your already downloaded playlist. You start off with the $15 plan, $5/500 min and at least 2 - 1gb data add ons. (Invest in more when you can before they go back up in price!) Remember you are an independent contractor....the cost of your mobile plan is a business expense. If for some reason you discover you need more than 500mb of data per month for work you change on your next renewal to the $40/5gb plan. If you are paying $25 to $30 for 1gb and you might use more it only makes sense to bump up with lots of data...its a business expense. Then just save your data add ons for winter when you downgrade to the $15 when you have other employment, school or whatever.

Normally this job is a bit of a tough slog for the money because really your making minimum wage plus tips. But there's lots of extra deliveries to be made...if your fast, clean, polite and possess some charm and a winning smile you can really clean up in tips. There is a campaign out there to tip and treat your delivery person well for what they are exposed to and the hard work you are doing.  If I could put the miles on like I can with a good hip I would be doing the same job!

Let's put it this way on top of the flat rate you get for each delivery  you will make minmum a $5 tip for each delivery  (up to $20) plus your flat rate. You can easily make $10 per drop average underestimating......

Totally agree with you here, gotta spend money to make money.

I like with PM how you can switch your plan month to month if you want, which is especially useful if your lifestyle/phone usage varies. And, if you need extra, you can just supplement it with Add-Ons that will not expire.

I get all of that now, and I'm still learning lots as I do this and participate more in the Community, even as a noob.

HOWEVER, the question still remains...

Is it possible to access LTE data speeds on the $15 a month plan, via Add-On, if you do not use AutoPay?

@fuGGet321  To make money you have to spend money....this is my suggestion to you. First of all if you employ all the appropriate data saving measures in your phone these kind of delivery apps use very little data and if you know where you are going and don't need Google maps giving you step by step directions you won't be burning thru data its not like you're watching YouTube. When you're standing around waiting for your delivery order to come out you'll be on free telus, Shaw, the restaurants, someone's WiFi. The rest of the time your pedaling like a madman listening to your already downloaded playlist. You start off with the $15 plan, $5/500 min and at least 2 - 1gb data add ons. (Invest in more when you can before they go back up in price!) Remember you are an independent contractor....the cost of your mobile plan is a business expense. If for some reason you discover you need more than 500mb of data per month for work you change on your next renewal to the $40/5gb plan. If you are paying $25 to $30 for 1gb and you might use more it only makes sense to bump up with lots of data...its a business expense. Then just save your data add ons for winter when you downgrade to the $15 when you have other employment, school or whatever.

Normally this job is a bit of a tough slog for the money because really your making minimum wage plus tips. But there's lots of extra deliveries to be made...if your fast, clean, polite and possess some charm and a winning smile you can really clean up in tips. There is a campaign out there to tip and treat your delivery person well for what they are exposed to and the hard work you are doing.  If I could put the miles on like I can with a good hip I would be doing the same job!

Let's put it this way on top of the flat rate you get for each delivery  you will make minmum a $5 tip for each delivery  (up to $20) plus your flat rate. You can easily make $10 per drop average underestimating......

fuGGet321

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321 

I'm thinking more importantly you'll need to have a decent phone. While the LTE speed will help, the speed shouldn't make that much difference since you're not actually streaming video or whatnot.

Just some food for thought since competition seems to be fierce with restaurant deliveries. How about helping out with something like grocery deliveries? In our area, the supermarkets are overflowing with orders. There's currently a 1 week delay. Even amazon deliveries are delayed atm.

I'm using a fully updated Galaxy S9, so I don't think my hardware should be any issue. Although, the more that I think about the root reason about why exactly I'm chasing this, as much as it's been an interesting discussion, it would be an even more interesting comparison of numbers and actual "real world" difference.

I've thought about the grocery route as well, definitely appreciate the suggestion! I agree that demand is definitely there, and probably higher than in the food courier world, but exposure potential is also significantly higher.

Regardless of any of that, my current cellular plan is inadequate, both functionally and financially, for my jump into this new world of smartphone "self employment". Without a doubt, my ability to make any real $$ doing this is definitely going to involve far more data consumption than I'm used to (the vast majority of which will be used solely on these courier apps).

I'm a big WiFi guy - I find it's a win-win-win strategy as it helps limit my screen time, extend my battery, and save me money. So, any data-hungry tasks like HD streaming or intensive social media usage is straight up a non-factor for me in this whole conversation, I generally save all of that for home/WiFi spots.

@fuGGet321 

I'm thinking more importantly you'll need to have a decent phone. While the LTE speed will help, the speed shouldn't make that much difference since you're not actually streaming video or whatnot.

Just some food for thought since competition seems to be fierce with restaurant deliveries. How about helping out with something like grocery deliveries? In our area, the supermarkets are overflowing with orders. There's currently a 1 week delay. Even amazon deliveries are delayed atm.

@fuGGet321 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321 Btw I'm curious what do you plan to do with 1 GB of data on LTE (that can't be done with 3G speed). I would fully understand if we were talking about larger plans (like 4 GB and higher), but 1 GB only goes so far. Just saying, a lot of people here are more than happy with their $25 1 GB plan.

No point contacting mods regarding this issue as they are busier than usual.

As a matter of fact, my desire for the added speed is for being a courier!

I'm like many others who have been laid off because of COVID-19, and I'm trying my hand at Skip The Dishes/Door Dash/Uber Eats to try and make some income in the meantime. My EI benefit is quite poor because I was on a gap year just prior to all of this happening, and my previous 52 weeks of earnings aren't yielding me that much coin to even sustain my relatively regular lifestyle now that I'm back at home.

SO, all of that to say that the faster data speeds could be the difference in being able to accept delivery requests/shift offers, or not, depending on how fast they become available and disappear. My understanding from my peers in-the-know with the courier world is that work is going fast, and I'm trying to do what I can to stay on top of it as frugally as possible!

I guess this begs the question, would app syncing/notification speed be noticeably different in a 3G versus an LTE usage scenario??

I have lost track here, but data on Public Mobile's misnamed 3G plans is delivered over LTE, unless you force your phone to use a 3G connection. So you get the fast latency of LTE, but the download speed is throttled to 3mbps. For anything I use data on the phone for (e-mail, WhatsApp (chat and video calls), social media, music/podcast streaming, the occasional video) I notice zero difference between PM's LTE light / 3G speeds and, supposedly, full LTE by a second tier provider on the same network (same location and times of day)...

I would assume that proper adjustment of your app settings would be more crucial to get the notifications in a timely manner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

App notifications: IMNSHO it won't make any noticeable difference.

fuGGet321

@darlicious wrote:

@fuGGet321  To my best recollection and the unofficial fact that all plans currently offered are programmed with the auto pay bonus regardless if you have auto pay or not means your add on would default to throttled LTE speed. This is my understanding and to the best of my memory what @Alan_K  had to say....only grandfathered 4G LTE plans, the 1gb data only plan and the no longer offered $10 50/50 plan get 4G LTE with data add ons.

In regards to choosing a plan would depend on your data usage and your outgoing calling usage. If you have variable data usage month over month and don't need to talk a lot by calling out choosing the $15 plan and stacking several discounted 1gb data add ons and the $5/500min calling add on makes a lot of sense with an upfront investment. For $30 you get 1.25 1gb of data  of which 1gb of unused data will roll over every month. Instead of $25 for 1gb of plan data that resets used or not. Simply put unlimited texts and incoming calling, 200 min outgoing (100 min roll over) and 350gb of data (100gb roll over) would raise the $15 plan to $17.50 ($15.50 w/autopay) with each additional 100gb of data costing $1.50 per month. This would make a great variable data/calling plan averaged w/autopay $20 650mb/200 outgoing minutes. A nice DIY plan!

This is a good suggestion! I'm learning about the versatility of Add-Ons quite quickly, and I'll definitely look into whether doing something like this could work for me 😀

fuGGet321

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321 Btw I'm curious what do you plan to do with 1 GB of data on LTE (that can't be done with 3G speed). I would fully understand if we were talking about larger plans (like 4 GB and higher), but 1 GB only goes so far. Just saying, a lot of people here are more than happy with their $25 1 GB plan.

No point contacting mods regarding this issue as they are busier than usual.

As a matter of fact, my desire for the added speed is for being a courier!

I'm like many others who have been laid off because of COVID-19, and I'm trying my hand at Skip The Dishes/Door Dash/Uber Eats to try and make some income in the meantime. My EI benefit is quite poor because I was on a gap year just prior to all of this happening, and my previous 52 weeks of earnings aren't yielding me that much coin to even sustain my relatively regular lifestyle now that I'm back at home.

SO, all of that to say that the faster data speeds could be the difference in being able to accept delivery requests/shift offers, or not, depending on how fast they become available and disappear. My understanding from my peers in-the-know with the courier world is that work is going fast, and I'm trying to do what I can to stay on top of it as frugally as possible!

I guess this begs the question, would app syncing/notification speed be noticeably different in a 3G versus an LTE usage scenario??

Some things may be better left unsaid as things could always get fixed if too much attention is brought to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I vote darlicious with the right answer. Iirc the $15 plan will just come with the data.

I had tested it out by turning off autopay and while having sufficient funds, let it renew. The data renewed intact.

Your clever thinking would need to actually activate from the start without autopay on. My bet would be that the data comes in anyway...in 3G.

@fuGGet321 You are giving me a headache I am going to bed good night LOL

fuGGet321

@Luddite wrote:

@fuGGet321 Why not "take one for the gipper."! Risk $2 and get the $15 plan/1 GB add-on without autopay.

If you can come out to western Mississauga I will donate a SIM for the experiment in person from 6' away; otherwise send me a private message & I'll mail it out. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

Let's discover something, eh?

Experiment! What could go wrong?Experiment! What could go wrong?

Hahah I got a good chuckle from this, well done!

The more love this discussion keeps getting me, the more I'm inclined to sacrifice the $2 a month to be the guinea pig who could uncover a new hack for PM users!

With any luck, maybe I could get a nice instructional post stickied and get a Community Reward for my troubles??! 😏

fuGGet321

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fuGGet321 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Excluding the $30 1GIG data only plan @fuGGet321  all PM data 4g LTE  throttled to 3 mbps or 3g unthrottled max between 21 and 42 mbps depending on the band.  The $15 1 gig of data is normally priced at $30. A better fit for you would be the $25 plan with autopay you would get a whole 1 gig of data. This plan

Screenshot_20200323-005503.jpg

@gblackma you are correct. The only differences are:

1. Data with $25 plan is at 3G speed.

2. Any unused data from the 1 GB add-on will remain on the account until it is fully consumed.

Whereas with the $25 plan, the 1 GB of data is reset at each renewal.

Right, I've figured out since making my original post that the $15 Add-On doesn't work the same as a 30 day plan would since it rolls over, and also that it is a temporary price point.

My main goal in even considering this as a possibility was a workaround of sorts to getting both talk and LTE data on one plan.

Theoretically, still on the subject of workarounds, I could take advantage of the $15 1GB Add-On and just buy a bunch of them at once right? Or am I only allowed to have one Data Add-On at once? Specifically, I'm alluding to step 1.3 in @srlawren's post here where it looks like I can buy multiple Add-Ons at once.

Now my mind is reeling...

Another hypothetical: Let's say my original idea does work with the Data Add-On and no AutoPay to access LTE speeds. I choose to buy twelve 1GB Add-Ons up front at $15 a piece (to last me one full year), especially now to take advantage of the limited time price. I do this going off the fact I will use 1GB of data per month, and the assumption I will be using the $15 Talk/Text Only plan.

Effectively, this gives me a $30/month plan with Text, (limited) Talk, and full LTE data, since the data in my account is all Add-On and will keep rolling over until I use it all.

Possible? Or no?

Yes it's all very possible.

You can purchase the same Add-On multiple times. Just a word of caution. Public Mobile is prepaid, so there are usually no refunds. I have no doubts you will receive the service(s) you are paying for, however if you change your mind before the year is up, PM does not do refunds or prorating.

Totally fair. I get that there is risk with an up front investment in this situation just like any other situation in life where you are contributing more capital up front in exchange for a long term benefit.

Again, as I said before, I'm just trying to see what all my options are. Just trying to work the PM system to my advantage as much as possible given my situation!

@fuGGet321 I would imagine you can buy as many as you want and they will stay with you for years if you don't use them up but unless I heard from the higher ups I wouldn't count on the 4g speed 

@fuGGet321 wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Excluding the $30 1GIG data only plan @fuGGet321  all PM data 4g LTE  throttled to 3 mbps or 3g unthrottled max between 21 and 42 mbps depending on the band.  The $15 1 gig of data is normally priced at $30. A better fit for you would be the $25 plan with autopay you would get a whole 1 gig of data. This plan

2. Any unused data from the 1 GB add-on will remain on the account until it is fully consumed.

Right, I've figured out since making my original post that the $15 Add-On doesn't work the same as a 30 day plan would since it rolls over, and also that it is a temporary price point.

My main goal in even considering this as a possibility was a workaround of sorts to getting both talk and LTE data on one plan.

Theoretically, still on the subject of workarounds, I could take advantage of the $15 1GB Add-On and just buy a bunch of them at once right? Or am I only allowed to have one Data Add-On at once? Specifically, I'm alluding to step 1.3 in @srlawren's post here where it looks like I can buy multiple Add-Ons at once.

Another hypothetical: Let's say my original idea does work with the Data Add-On and no AutoPay to access LTE speeds. I choose to buy twelve 1GB Add-Ons up front at $15 a piece (to last me one full year), especially now to take advantage of the limited time price. I do this going off the fact I will use 1GB of data per month, and the assumption I will be using the $15 Talk/Text Only plan.

Effectively, this gives me a $30/month plan with Text, (limited) Talk, and full LTE data, since the data in my account is all Add-On and will keep rolling over until I use it all.

Possible? Or no?

Yes it's all very possible.

You can purchase the same Add-On multiple times. Just a word of caution. Public Mobile is prepaid, so there are usually no refunds. I have no doubts you will receive the service(s) you are paying for, however if you change your mind before the year is up, PM does not do refunds or prorating.

fuGGet321

@LovesToPM wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Possible? Or no?

@fuGGet321  the way I read it all talk and text plans are at 3g speed  we used to have a 10 dollar plan with no data even with auto pay, that 1 gig add was at 4g lte but the 15 dollar plan has 250 mb also at 3g so therefore the add would default to 3g of course this is only my opinion maybe @Alan_K  could answer the question if he finds the time although I'm sure he is very busy these days 

@fuGGet321  To my best recollection and the unofficial fact that all plans currently offered are programmed with the auto pay bonus regardless if you have auto pay or not means your add on would default to throttled LTE speed. This is my understanding and to the best of my memory what @Alan_K  had to say....only grandfathered 4G LTE plans, the 1gb data only plan and the no longer offered $10 50/50 plan get 4G LTE with data add ons.

In regards to choosing a plan would depend on your data usage and your outgoing calling usage. If you have variable data usage month over month and don't need to talk a lot by calling out choosing the $15 plan and stacking several discounted 1gb data add ons and the $5/500min calling add on makes a lot of sense with an upfront investment. For $30 you get 1.25 1gb of data  of which 1gb of unused data will roll over every month. Instead of $25 for 1gb of plan data that resets used or not. Simply put unlimited texts and incoming calling, 200 min outgoing (100 min roll over) and 350gb of data (100gb roll over) would raise the $15 plan to $17.50 ($15.50 w/autopay) with each additional 100gb of data costing $1.50 per month. This would make a great variable data/calling plan averaged w/autopay $20 650mb/200 outgoing minutes. A nice DIY plan!

@fuGGet321  yes it will be $45. The only way you can get 4g LTE unthrottled data at PM is by buying the $30 data only plan. This plan

Screenshot_20200328-193218.jpg

In order for you to add this data option to your $15 plan you would need a dual SIM phone, 2 SIM cards and 2 unique email addresses and  2 different accounts.

All other PM plans and add ons are essentially unthrottled 3g data. The only difference being that the data add ons do not expire monthly. If you are willing to spend $45 , then the $40 with 4.5 gigs of 3g data with autopay is a better fit. Or bump up to the $50 hybrid plan with 8.5 gigs of 3g data and free calling to the US from within Canada. This plan

Screenshot_20200323-100237.jpg

@fuGGet321 wrote:

@RossNAre you sure about that? That's not what I read at number 7 in the Terms & Conditions:

Public-T&C.jpg

This is how it's supposed to work according to the terms and conditions.

In reality, it's a bit of a coin toss. Unfortunately I for one, don't really want to test it out as the autopay 250 MB data is working well for me.

Here's the post from Alan_K (Public Mobile) describing how it works:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-10-ready-made-plan-staying-for-...

@fuGGet321 What says on that screenshot is correct. If you're on a 3G speed plan, data add-on speed will be 3G. However, you will rarely notice any difference if you are using for normal browsing or checking emails. It will be troublesome only if you use for playing hd videos or downloading. If actual 3G/HSPA signal is good in your area, you will likely get higher speed and i recommend only if data is essential for you. 

Need Help? Let's chat.