cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test Public Mobile Vs Chatr

saleh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone,

Few days ago I got chance to measure Public Mobile speed to one of my friends phone who is currently a chatr user . Paying around same. I suggested to switch it to PM next month.

Unfortunately I was not able to test multiple times as we both didn't had much data left.

Hopefully this helps someone.I understand just testing it 1 time is not accurate and also speed will vary device to device but I still would like to share it with everyone. If I get a chance to perform the tests again I will post more shots again.

Thank you for the support everyone

SalehIMG_20181101_162346.jpg

IMG_20181101_162347.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

@saleh wrote:

It could be possible that 3G gives sometimes maybe better speed because of the less traffic. I live in Scarborough and that could be one of the main reason of the higher downloading speed As the Opensignal 2018 survey says that Telus gets Highest speed in Toronto on an average on their 4G network.

https://opensignal.com/reports/2018/02/canada/state-of-the-mobile-network

This isn't what is usually happening here at Public Mobile.  When a customer has has a Public Mobile 3g data plan, customers will almost always get higher speeds when connected to the 3g network.  This doesn't have anything to do with congestion on the 3g network as a whole, although that is possible in isolated cases.  Public Mobile purposely throttles the speed of LTE connections (when a customer has a 3g plan),  but does not throttle 3g network connections.

saleh

It could be possible that 3G gives sometimes maybe better speed because of the less traffic. I live in Scarborough and that could be one of the main reason of the higher downloading speed As the Opensignal 2018 survey says that Telus gets Highest speed in Toronto on an average on their 4G network.

https://opensignal.com/reports/2018/02/canada/state-of-the-mobile-network

saleh

Hello,

Actually its 40$ 4.5 Gb 3G plan but still it says LTE, whereas chatr is also running 3G but their speed it comparatively lower.

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

@drmartin don't understand your download comment.

Also recall people saying they got higher speeds if they switched to 3g network instead of the LTE. Not sure if that has changed, of course there is higher latency with the 3g.

I just wish pm would rename the 3g plans to something less confusing.  It would alivite so many questions.

L

Yeah! If you switch your phone to 3G-only you get between 10-20Mbps. 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@@Effort@Ok but you are comparing pm3g (LTE capped) vs 3g regular or regular LTE uncapped vs 3g regular

The quote said 4g vs 3g. And implied to me at least 3g network  was faster to download files once you got rid of the latency issue as there was no mention of capped speeds. Which to me was confusing as I thought  LTE can reach much higher speeds than 3g .

Effort

The download comment make total sense. After you create a stateful connection to the server, latency doesn't matter anymore and download speed takes over. 3G might take a little longer to make that connection but after the connection has been made, 3G get multiple times the speed 4G-lite gets.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@drmartin don't understand your download comment.

Also recall people saying they got higher speeds if they switched to 3g network instead of the LTE. Not sure if that has changed, of course there is higher latency with the 3g.

I just wish pm would rename the 3g plans to something less confusing.  It would alivite so many questions.

L

drmartin

@will13am wrote:

Raw speed test numbers don't really mean much.  Having high speed test numbers is a sufficient but not necessary condition for good overall user experience.  For about a year now, the emphasis has been on selling so called 3G speed test plans.  While there have been inquiries about and discussions on the performance of these new plans, there have not been any feedback about bad user experience due to 3G speeds being too slow. 

Yeah the latency on 4G is a huge benefit when browsing webpages, but 3G would be better for downloading large files. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Raw speed test numbers don't really mean much.  Having high speed test numbers is a sufficient but not necessary condition for good overall user experience.  For about a year now, the emphasis has been on selling so called 3G speed test plans.  While there have been inquiries about and discussions on the performance of these new plans, there have not been any feedback about bad user experience due to 3G speeds being too slow. 

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

public mobile will win if compare lke that for sure.

Not sure if you on 3g or LTE.  It would be fun to test lte if you have lots of data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah speedtests suck data.

There are two speed levels provided here. One is full on LTE and the other is the same LTE throttled down to 3mbps so-called 3G. Although if you get a 3G plan then it'll give you full blast for a couple days and then get throttled down. Or so I've read 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.