cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone used my email to register a phone line

Mistro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, someone has used my email to register a phone line with public mobile. I cannot find any way to disassociate my email from their account.

Any ideas what can be done?

19 REPLIES 19

Mistro

Ok so the field that says "verify by SMS - public mobile numbers only" actually lets you put in a non-public mobile number so I did that and it let me submit my ticket.

[Marked as solution ........ Luddite]

Mistro

Ugh I take that back. The "I need a human" approach needs you to send a verification code via SMS to submit the ticket! Which of course I cannot do since I never signed up for one!

The other option is to sign in with the non-community account... which I also don't have since to sign up you need to have your phone number and account handy. Which I don't have because I never signed up!

This really seems like a chicken or the egg scenario... I'm surprised public mobile even lets you use an email without any sort of verification email first.

Mistro

I cannot sign in since I don't have the phone number that was registered in any of the emails I received from public mobile. 

The first email I received was "

Hi [name],

Welcome to Public Mobile - we're excited to have you join us!...

[etc]

"

With some details about the phone plan ($25 apparently) below.

I initially thought it was phishing so ignored it. Then I started receiving promo material from public mobile.

My first instinct was actually to reset the password and then change it to something else, but in order to do that you need to put your phone number in... which I don't have since I never opened the account!

I'm quite sure my email hasn't been compomised - I've checked all recent login activity.

I'm assuming it's just someone with the same name who put in a "false" email when they registered. My email is literally just my first name, so quite often people use it as their fake emails since my first name is pretty common. I managed to snag it in the early days of gmail... but I guess having such a simple email has it's drawbacks!

I've gone the "I need a human" approach with this - I can update this thread on how it turns out.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mistro wrote:

Hello, someone has used my email to register a phone line with public mobile. I cannot find any way to disassociate my email from their account.

Sign in the account and change the email address to a “made up” email address. No password?.....then use the forget my password option. 

Remove any auto-pay information.....especially if it is yours!!!

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thankyou. Didn't think of that. Good thinking.

@jimbobs wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Mistro wrote:

@Mistro  If I were you I would be very concerned that someone has gained access to my email so change your email credentials immediately.

Agreed. While this may have been accidental, it could also be part of an identity theft scam. It works like this: use target's email to get a new phone number; use phone number to recover email password; access email to look for banking and other confidential information; etc.

marimacas

@Mistro wrote:

For your security, I would recommend you to check all your accounts and subscriptions, etc associated with the email.

jimbobs

@geopublic wrote:

@Mistro wrote:

@Mistro  If I were you I would be very concerned that someone has gained access to my email so change your email credentials immediately.

Agreed. While this may have been accidental, it could also be part of an identity theft scam. It works like this: use target's email to get a new phone number; use phone number to recover email password; access email to look for banking and other confidential information; etc.

@computergeek541  How can you be so sure that the person that opened the account incorrectly entered that email?

What level is " Great Neighbour "? It seems like such a waste of time to register here and not be a customer . Lol.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Is a "Great Neighbour" so must be a customer.

That doesn't mean that someone is a customer. Anyone can open a Community account.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Mistro wrote:

Just wondering how you are figuring that out?  Are you receiving promotional emails from Public Mobile or when you register it doesn't allow you to.  If it doesn't allow you to were you a prepaid customer of Koodo as you can't use the same email  you used there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@gblackma wrote:

That doesn't mean that someone is a customer. Anyone can open a Community account.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help -> Click on Chat with Simon - on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

I'm not sure that @Mistro is a customer.

@geopublic wrote:

@Mistro wrote:

I see no indication of that based on the topic of discussion. Public Mobile accounts can be opened without any verification of an e-mail address. Nothing is gained by someone using an incorrect e-mail addresa to open a Public Mobile account. More likely is a mistake by the Public Mobile customer.

@Triguy wrote:

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help -> Click on Chat with Simon - on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

I'm not sure that @Mistro is a customer.

Hope this was a disposable account. If you can still access change your password 

. And do all that is mentioned above and below. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Mistro  I absolutely agree with @geopublic  change your email with your bank, credit cards etc.. set up monitoring of All accounts!

@Mistro  I absolutely agree with @geopublic  change your email with your bank, credit cards etc.. set up monitoring of All accounts!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mistro wrote:

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mistro you can click on the question mark on the right hand side of the page and start a conversation with Simon the chat bot tell them what happened. If it doesn'tet you get to "submit ticket" write "talk to a human"  you should get a reply back today sometimes.  If sure the person who activated a line would like to have this fixed Aswell 

Need Help? Let's chat.