cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone else has the number I ported over and am using?

hammadtheone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I made my Public Mobile account, I ported my number over from Voip.ms, a virtual phone service which supports porting numbers in and out. I originally had that number with Wind, then Fido, then ported to voip.ms. When switching to public mobile, I ported over from voip.ms, made the account and everything, and it was fine, everything was working.

Then, when I called someone it went through, but when someone else called me, another person from voip.ms with the same number received the call. It's weird because I can actually call my own number and someone else will get the call.

I would really appreciate if you could take a look, maybe see what the issue is, and get me my number back. I've had it for a very long time and use it for most of my business.

I have also spoken with voip.ms about the issue, and this is what they said:

Hello Hammad,

I can confirm your account was closed, however since we are not a CLEC there is no way we can see if the number has been ported or not to another company. The procedure to port a number out is to start the process with the gaining carrier. Once they confirmed the number has been completely ported, then you need to delete it from your voip.ms account.

Please check with them if the number has been successfully ported. They should give you the confirmation or tell you when this be done.

Best regards.

Any help is appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16

@sbnby2, as long as you have never let your plan sit inactive for a 90 day period, you should have no worry about getting full access back to his number.  The number should stay with Public Mobile, until the 90 days inactive has elapsed, and only at that time return to the originating carrier for réactivation.

@sbnby2 wrote:

I just spoke with this guy who has opened an account from Fido four months ago. He has the same number that I do. I've used public mobile for around two years, and I had transfered my number from Fido. I have asked the other guy to speak with Fido, because his account is newer, but I would like to know how Public Mobile can fix this for me as well.

Thanks

Sadly, this isn't unheard of.  Telus assigned my number to a new customer before.  The other person kept wondering why I was receiving calls intended for him.  He had to get  a new number.

As long as all incoming calls, text messages, and MMS to this phone number are coming to you (including the ones intended for the other person), there really is nothing to fix on the Public Mobile end.  If you are able to get the moderators to help you with this, they'd likely just communicate with their counterparts at Fido.  The numbers is yours.  The only way for this to be fixed will be for Fido to assign a new phone number to the other person.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sbnby2 wrote:

I just spoke with this guy who has opened an account from Fido four months ago. He has the same number that I do. I've used public mobile for around two years, and I had transfered my number from Fido. I have asked the other guy to speak with Fido, because his account is newer, but I would like to know how Public Mobile can fix this for me as well.

Thanks

Wow.

The people you need to "speak" to here are the mods.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification delays.
Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
And of course your question/problem.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

sbnby2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks

sbnby2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hammadtheone Voip.MS should absolutely be able to tell if they still have the number or not.  If they don't have it their system any more (that is - if they received the port request and cancelled your account), but it's not getting to you at PM, that means that even though calls are still being technically directed to Voip.MS (due to the port not being complete at the PM side yet), the incomplete port is probably just causing some wacky behaviour on the Voip.MS side because they don't know what to do with your number.  That is to say, as long as your number is not in the Voip.MS systems any more (which again, they should absolutely be able to give you a yes or no answer on).

hammadtheone
@WearySky

I believe they have that same number assigned to them, I did open up a ticket with them to figure it out, but they said that I'd need to talk to public mobile.

WearySky

@hammadtheone wrote:
Yeah I wasn't sure why VoIP.ms would reassign a number so quickly, and how they used that number when I was already using it with Public Mobile.

You can make outgoing calls and texts immediately, because PM controls whether or not you can use that number for outgoing traffic on their network.  But the reason incoming doesn't work is because it's still technically registered to voip.ms for incoming purposes, so any incoming traffic still gets redirected to them.  It's definitely weird that Voip.MS is redirecting calls to your number to a different Voip.MS subscriber though.  When you talk to that person, did you check that they actually are using your number?  Or is it just that they have a different Voip.MS account and they're screwing up the routing?

hammadtheone
Yeah I wasn't sure why VoIP.ms would reassign a number so quickly, and how they used that number when I was already using it with Public Mobile.

Saray_O

Hi @hammadtheone

I'm sorry about this inconvenient, 

Voip.ms numbers usually take a lot longer to port because they are considered as wirelines by the system, so that's probably why you're experiencing these issues. However, I assure you that the person you messaged will verify your account for any issues once they get to your message, 

Hang in there! 🙂

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

voip.ms's repsonse is a strange one.   They don't know if any number has been ported out to another company?  Well, since they support porting both in and out, how in the world are they supposed to know if it a particular phone number is even available to activate on their service?  And if if there is some astronomical screwup by either Public or voip.ms causing the phone number to be cancelled instead of being ported, what company in the world would immediately reassign the phone number to a new customer? 

hammadtheone

Right, I did end up messaging them and am waiting for a reply. Thanks for the help everyone.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @hammadtheone,

I hope you have sent a private message to one of the mods by now.

I am just a bit concerned about that whole part about calling your number and someone else answering the call.  Since you are a brand new customer with PM who has clearly owned that phone number for a long time, no one else should be assigned that number within hours of attemting to port the number to public mobile.   

It usually takes much longer for the voip phone numbers to port compared to regular mobile lines.  However, your number is supposed to continue ringing for your own Voip.ms account and not be assigned immediately to a new Voip.ms account.  So, this part is confusing and I am afraid the reply from voip.ms isn't helpful or entirely honest.  

Your accound was closed by voip.ms, which means that they did receive your request to port the number ...  unless you made the huge mistake of cancelling your voip.ms account before porting number to public mobile.  Its routine for previous carrier to close your account when they receive a port request.. they release your number to the new carrier and close your account.  

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Very unfortunate situation, I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Yes your port-in has gone awry. Here's the procedure to follow: Contact Moderators 

I'm afraid it will likely take several days given their backlog.

You could use the free voip app from fongo.com until it's sorted. If data is functioning on PM you could at least receive calls while on the road. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jerinjohny1

please contact one of the moderator   shazi_k.they will help you

Need Help? Let's chat.