cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone else has same phone number

AlinaDee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just got my SIM card and activated with PM two days ago, however a very odd issue is happening. I can make outgoing calls and send texts, and the people I contact receive these outgoing communications. But I am unable to receive any incoming texts or calls. Friends have told me that when they call my number or reply to my texts, another person receives them and answers. Somehow someone else has the number I activated with, how is that possible? I chose a new number from the list of available numbers given by Public Mobile during the activation process. A bit frustrating to be paying and not be able to use my phone normally at the moment. Any ideas?

27 REPLIES 27

jb3ee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same problem with another provider before. I just changed my number and it worked perfectly from there. My friends used to get angry messages in response to our normal texts. I was wondering why they were treating me differently 🤣 

AlinaDee

@kelvarnsen wrote:

That sounds like it would be really annoy/creepy or it sounds like the beginning of a really bad romantic comedy.

Haha! I would say verging on creepy considering I didn't ask for an unknown doppelgänger. But maybe it could have gone the other way. Glad I didn't stick around long enough to find out though.

Didn't realise this would be cause for such an exciting Monday 🙂

AlinaDee

@computergeek541 wrote:

This isn't specific to Public Mobile.  Telus Mobility once tried to assign the phone number that I had been using for years to a new customer.  That new customer was forced to change his number.

One wonders about the algorithm that generates "new" numbers...

@AlinaDee wrote:

@geopublic Yes, I found it really odd and disturbing too that this was possible. 

This isn't specific to Public Mobile.  Telus Mobility once tried to assign the phone number that I had been using for years to a new customer.  That new customer was forced to change his number.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AlinaDee wrote:

@kelvarnsen  The mystery man answered 🙂

That sounds like it would be really annoy/creepy or it sounds like the beginning of a really bad romantic comedy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bishamon wrote:

@AlinaDee wrote:

Nop, they are replying to the number I am contacting them from. I actually just reactivated a phone in Canada after being away for several years. My previous number is a US number and is still active, although I've removed that SIM card. So if they're accidentally using the US number because it's stored in their contacts, for example, it wouldn't be someone else answering anyways. But they are replying to my incoming texts and calls from the new PM number and it is reaching someone else.

Hi Alina,

This is definately a number porting issue.  You should contact the Moderator Team, since it sounds like the previous carrier also tried to re-use the number you requested to port over.

Not porting. Customer didn't port. They've also successfully happily changed their number.

bishamon

@AlinaDee wrote:

Nop, they are replying to the number I am contacting them from. I actually just reactivated a phone in Canada after being away for several years. My previous number is a US number and is still active, although I've removed that SIM card. So if they're accidentally using the US number because it's stored in their contacts, for example, it wouldn't be someone else answering anyways. But they are replying to my incoming texts and calls from the new PM number and it is reaching someone else.

Hi Alina,

This is definately a number porting issue.  You should contact the Moderator Team, since it sounds like the previous carrier also tried to re-use the number you requested to port over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@AlinaDee @geopublic @Anonymous, this should not have happened at all.

but you know...

Well of course stonechucker. As I said...the quirks and foibles of Public Mobile.

@AlinaDee @geopublic @Anonymous, this should not have happened at all.

A number that is in use should not be moved to another account (whether at the same provider or not) without proper authorization.  As this wasn't a port, the number was mistakenly listed as not-in-use (or more likely available for service) and you happened to pick one that was in use.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen again, but you know...

@AlinaDee wrote:

@geopublic Yes, I found it really odd and disturbing too that this was possible. 

I don't blame you. Hopefully PM can investigate if it's possible to prevent similar instances happening in the future @CS_Agent .

AlinaDee

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@AlinaDee wrote:

Wow!! How is it possible to allow two SIM #'s active for the same phone #. Isn't this considered illegal (cloning).?

Welcome to the quirks and foibles of Public Mobile. It wasn't really cloned per se. The number only *answered* in one place.

My issue when I started was I had apparently taken over someones number. All their calls and texts came to me. Could have been coincidental with him stopping service but the immediate nature of the calls and texts suggest otherwise. I didn't know better at the time and just told people the guy was not at this number.

@AlinaDee wrote:

Wow!! How is it possible to allow two SIM #'s active for the same phone #. Isn't this considered illegal (cloning).? What happens if you don't want to change numbers? Maybe notify PM to remove that number from the list so that this doen't happen to another victim...I mean customer.

AlinaDee

@stonechucker  @Anonymous 

Oh, why did I not think I could do it myself via the self-serve, duh! I just changed my number and everything works dandy now! Thanks y'all a million! So glad I asked here today.

So happy my friends don't have to deal with "Charles' voicemail" when they try to reach me 😛

AlinaDee

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlinaDee wrote:

I just contacted moderators and hopefully I can change it ASAP. It is so weird that this happens. I guess the list of available phone numbers is not correctly updated when we choose one.

Did you try doing it yourself in the self-serve? It might not let you...but you can try.

kelvarnsen

Just out of curiosity what happens if you try dialing your number from your phone?

AlinaDee

I just contacted moderators and hopefully I can change it ASAP. It is so weird that this happens. I guess the list of available phone numbers is not correctly updated when we choose one.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@AlinaDee wrote:

Hi, I just got my SIM card and activated with PM two days ago, however a very odd issue is happening. I can make outgoing calls and send texts, and the people I contact receive these outgoing communications. But I am unable to receive any incoming texts or calls. Friends have told me that when they call my number or reply to my texts, another person receives them and answers. Somehow someone else has the number I activated with, how is that possible? I chose a new number from the list of available numbers given by Public Mobile during the activation process. A bit frustrating to be paying and not be able to use my phone normally at the moment. Any ideas?

Make sure your friends get your phone number exactly and check your SIM card setting, make sure your phone number is exactly in the SIM card. If it’s not the case, you need to contact mediator team:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

This does sound like a mistake on the system, as @Anonymous has mentioned.  Public Mobile has offered a new number which is still in use by another user.

Picking a new number via the self-serve will fix this the quickest for you, but contacting the moderators is also valid.

AlinaDee

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlinaDee 

I've read about this happening on rare occassions. Although something similar happened to me when I first got here.

Since you picked a new number, I suggest picking another one. If it doesn't let you (once per 30 days) then you'll need to contact the @Moderator_Team < Click this.

@AlinaDee wrote:

Yes, the odd thing is this happens whenever a friend even replies to me, not just dials the number (in case they dialled incorrectly). If I call them, they pick up and we can talk. They then go into their call history and dialback the number that just called them (my number), and a stranger picks up, and I never get the calls. Same with texts - they get my texts and when they reply (to the number that texted ie. me) their texts reach someone else and never get to me.

Ask them to call you back by dialling your new number. What happens? If you get the call it means that everything is correct and it must be a setting on your phone that is still displaying your old number.

AlinaDee

Yes, the odd thing is this happens whenever a friend even replies to me, not just dials the number (in case they dialled incorrectly). If I call them, they pick up and we can talk. They then go into their call history and dialback the number that just called them (my number), and a stranger picks up, and I never get the calls. Same with texts - they get my texts and when they reply (to the number that texted ie. me) their texts reach someone else and never get to me.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AlinaDee wrote:

@AlinaDee: Are the people calling you using your new number or the old one that you had from your previous provider? Sounds like they are using the old number and since you did not port it someone else has it now.

kelvarnsen

Are you sure the # you think you have is your actual number. Like when you call someone is the number that comes up on call display the number it should be?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@AlinaDee wrote:

You need to reach the moderator for this problem...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and give them details of your problem. They will help you.

Waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.