Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions after activating

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out some things after activating, here's my questions:

1. Is it free to call 611 1-855-4Public to access the automatic system for managing the account even if I place the call from my cell phone?  I'm on the $10 limited plan so I don't want it counting towards my minutes.

2. is MMS also included in my plan?  It just counts towards my text messages correct?

3. Is it also free to turn on data to access the self serve system?  Is data access for accessing the Public Mobile site and MMS also throttled?  I'm having trouble trying to pull anything up without a very long delay (few minutes per page) to access self serve to check usage as I don't have a data plan or bucket on the account.

4. I cannot be billed for any usage that I didn't pay for even if there's a balance on my account correct?  If I kept data on for MMS, I can't be billed for accidental usage as it's blocked right?

Thanks for taking a look at my questions, it would be much appreciated if they would be answered!  🙂

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EdmondY, It should be counted as one message.  However,  if the text is long, it gets split into multiple messages and is counted as multiple messages.  

EdmondY

Just to confirm, it just counts as one message used right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EdmondY wrote:

. . .

Also, if anyone can answer this, it doesn't matter what size the image is but MMS is included regardless despite how it uses data services to complete it right?  It just takes one off my allotment for said message correct?

@EdmondY, If the image goes through (there might be some general image size limits, or as already mentioned, the phone might comress the image), then the image goes through.  has no impact on your data usage.  MMS is 'free'.

DL00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was just trying to test MMS and came to the realization that my APN Settings aren't properly setup. I guess I'll have to sort that out at some point.

What I did discover is that my phone told me the picture I was trying to send was too large, so it compressed it. Since my APN Settings arn't correct it couldn't actually send the message.

I'm not sure if this helps but I thought I'd share in case it was useful.

EdmondY

Oh that's good to know as well but *611 should be enough to manage the account anyway, just want to double check!  Thanks!  🙂

DL00

I just checked. Calls to the toll free line don't use up minutes.

EdmondY

For the answer of my thrid question, I know I can't access the public internet but it seems that I can turn on LTE to access self serve on Public Mobile's site without any charges as I don't see anything changed on my account, including the balance, and I don't have a data add on either.  It shows up in usage that I used something but access to the self serve page is really slow so I wondering if it's artifically throttled.

Also, if anyone can answer this, it doesn't matter what size the image is but MMS is included regardless despite how it uses data services to complete it right?  It just takes one off my allotment for said message correct?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

I pulled this post from the announcement forum on this plan.  This should cover all the questions.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

Indeed it does:

10plandesc.png

10planfaq.png

@EdmondY from this last pic, I am going to say that calls to *611 don't use up airtime but I'm not sure about the toll-free line.  I would try to use only *611 from the phone to be safe.  If you are calling from a landline or a friend's phone, use the toll-free number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@EdmondY

1) It is free

2) MMS is included

3) You wont be able to access Internet from your mobile unless you purchase Data add-on

4) Prepaid service – you cannot be billed for something you did not paid

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I pulled this post from the announcement forum on this plan.  This should cover all the questions.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

DL00

Here are what I believe are the answer to your questions.

1. Any airtime will deduct minutes from your plan.

2. I don't believe mms is included.

3. Data will not work on the plan at all.

4. You will not be able to acces any service that you haven't paid for. So no overage charges.

EdmondY

Oh good, so it's impossible to get unexpected charges even so if I don't keep a eye on my usage, I can't use more than what I paid for!  🙂

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

I leave it for more experienced members to answer the first three questions. Here's the answer to the fourth question. 🙂

4) Correct. you only get what you payed for upfront. If your minutes are over for example (used all your 50 minutes) you will not be able to make any outgoing calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.