Karoth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sms while vacation in India - what needs to be done before leaving For India

Please do guide me.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma  for sms sim needs to be on phone as it's an app.

For calls once forwarding is activated then you can throw phone and sim in river.

@gblackma wrote:

@mimmo , do you actually need the SIM in a phone? Can't you just leave it in your drawer at home? My understanding, is that once you unconditionally forward the SIM to another phone, you could (and I don't recommend doing this) throw it into a river and forget about it.

Sim must be in the phone and the phone must be connected to the PM network. If you don't leave it plugged in, someone will need to charge it when battery dies. SMS and Calls first need to come on the phone and then it gets forwarded. 

@mimmo , do you actually need the SIM in a phone? Can't you just leave it in your drawer at home? My understanding, is that once you unconditionally forward the SIM to another phone, you could (and I don't recommend doing this) throw it into a river and forget about it.

mimmo

@Karoth   apart from what has been said.  if you want to receive your canadian smses in india you need to leave your PM sim in a cellphone that is on and that is in canada.  if you have an old android phone you can install an sms forwading app that will forward sms to email or to another number.  (fongo/ textnow)  you can also forward your calls to a  voip service.

this is the only way you will be able to see sms that are sent to you.

edit here is a similar post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Traveling-to-Australia/m-p/164854#M30...

@Karoth  Take both @popping  and  @Jb456 /@gblackma  suggestions. Get the cheap local SIM and the text now app. You can forward your pm number if you choose not to suspend your account and use the app on the cheap mobile data....you won't even have to worry about WiFi.

popping

@Karoth wrote:

Sms while vacation in India - what needs to be done before leaving For India

Please do guide me.

Thanks.

Buy a local SIM card when arrive at India.  Mobile data is very cheap over there. IIRC, C$10 for 30GB/m. I know an university student who got a summer intern job in India.

To take @Jb456 's TextNow suggestion. It has voicemail. And as long as there is WiFi, you should be able to forward your PM number to your TextNow one .

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

your only deal is to buy a prepaid sim card when you land in India and use it while you are there

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Not possible.

Public Mobile does not offer roaming add-ons for anywhere besides the USA ROAMING add-ons.

Take a look at the TEXTNOW APP. You get a Canadian number in your area which will allow you to call and text for free over wifi.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Karoth Nothing will work in India on the Public Mobile sim. If you are going for longer, either disable AutoPay or remove your payment option so your plan does not renew automatically. It will stay in suspended status for 90 days before you lose your number. 

I suggest to get a local plan as it will be much cheaper. I heard they give like 2GB per day for pennies. 

Need Help? Let's chat.