cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Data

GonzaloA
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i am new to PM and i read about the speed difference with Koodo Mobile which was not big. But now i cannot load songs from Spotify on the road nor youtube video on SD. any advice?

14 REPLIES 14

Stevie1

I recently joined PM and learned that there wasn't much of a speed difference with Koodo Mobile. However, I am unable to load YouTube videos on SD or Spotify music while driving at the moment. any suggestions?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech wrote:

@GonzaloA   actually @HALIMACS   was the first one suggesting 3G Only as a workaround,  I think it is more appropriate to mark his post as the accepted solution instead.   You can  change it by using the 3 dot to remove the accepted and remark his as the accepted one  

Very kind of you to make this assertion @softech - I've noticed in different threads where one poster will get the solution when others suggested it first, and on the occasion it happens to me too.  I figure it'll eventually work itself out, and above anything else, I'm here for fun and learn.  Just wanted to send a verbal Bravo to you too.  🙂

@softech wrote:

@GonzaloA   actually @HALIMACS   was the first one suggesting 3G Only as a workaround,  I think it is more appropriate to mark his post as the accepted solution instead.   You can  change it by using the 3 dot to remove the accepted and remark his as the accepted one  

👊 

@GonzaloA wrote:

I changed it to 3G in Settings and problem fixed. This means that PM doesnt provide LTE even though Google says yes. 

Glad the suggestion recommended worked, @GonzaloA 

@Anonymous wrote:

@softech : Convoluted wording there. Please don't report me tagging and calling you out like some people like to :).

@Anonymous  you are the VIP here.. .buy me a drink to make it up 🍺  LoL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Convoluted wording there. Please don't report me tagging and calling you out like some people like to :).

When the phone is set to the usual LTE/WCDMA/GSM, the phone idles on LTE. Someone coined the term LTE-Lite. It's LTE at 3Mbps. The marketing department in their infinite wisdom thought it would be clever to call it 3G. It's not.

So then to set the phone to WCDMA/GSM forces it into real 3G (HSPA for data). This can be faster. But the drawback is more latency which may show itself playing HD videos.

@GonzaloA wrote:

I changed it to 3G in Settings and problem fixed. This means that PM doesnt provide LTE even though Google says yes. 

PM does use LTE and most of us using LTE with 3Mpbs without issue

if 3G works better on LTE, it could be temporary, it might be due to equipment upgrade.  Bell and Telus are busy with 5G setup.  Some area's LTE connection has issues and 3G works better during their upgrade. It should be temporary. 

Also, try in a different area.  if your area's LTE is not working well still in 2 weeks, then maybe towers problem , open a ticket with PM and let them know.  

@GonzaloA 

Pm provides 4G LTE service for texting and mobile data. But the data is throttled to 3mbps which is why you were having an issue. It also provides its voice call services, texting and mobile data on the 3G network. When you switch to 3G only in your settings your mobile data speeds will reach up to 20mbps+depending on network traffic. The average is data speed on 3G is 12mbps.

GonzaloA

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@GonzaloA wrote:

i am new to PM and i read about the speed difference with Koodo Mobile which was not big. But now i cannot load songs from Spotify on the road nor youtube video on SD. any advice?

@GonzaloA   were you with Koodo before?

3Mbps should have no issue with Spotify at all.  it should work ok with some video streaming.   I just wonder if it is an issue with where you are at, location specific.    

You tried 3G only as advised above?  Tried reboot the phone?  Maybe try to download Speedcheck app and check the speed

Also, you have a 2nd phone around which you can try?  

If possible, try at another location and see

@GonzaloA 

On 4 LTE data throttled to 3mbps you still shouldnt have a problem streaming music but video on youtube may be an issue. Usually these apps detect the slower data speed and automatically adjust the quality to reflect this. Check in your app account settings to see if you can also adjust these settings.

Video streaming will really eat thru your data. You may want to download while on free wifi your music or video content for playback to save on your mobile data usage.

@HALIMACS  suggestion of switching to the 3G network will also work.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@GonzaloA wrote:

@GonzaloA    What plan are you on? 

IIRC and you just activated (yesterday?), then data speeds are 4G for the first 36-48 hours before being throttled down to 3G speeds., so depending upon how much plan data and what you were streaming, it's possible you may have depleted the data allotment (hope not) for the current cycle.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@GonzaloA 

Try switching to 3G on your network connections.

EDIT:

3G is fine unless you stream HD movies or upload large files.

When you have an LTE plan and set your network to 3G, your speed is actually faster than you will experience with a "3G" plan (3 Mbps). The "3G" plans run on both the LTE and 3G network but the speed is throttled.

Need Help? Let's chat.