cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim unlock code

Napcorsecond
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, yesterday I activated a public mobile Sim and in the process, cancelled my account with Rogers. When I went to put the Sim in my Samsung J3, I got a locked Sim message. Tried 1234, now it's asking for a PUK. Reach out to moderators last night and am still waiting for a reply. Is it normal to take so long to get back to a customer? My cell phone is my only phone and it kinda sucks not be able to communicate with anyone. Thanks 

18 REPLIES 18

LadyFaceSamps
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@cellphoneuser1  I'm not sure everyone in this situation is guessing codes I think initially they assume they know and the phone has it wrong.  Three attempts isn't much before its locked. Once... Twice because you could have screwed up...  I constantly switch my 9's with R's haha...  Glad it's been solved though as I didn't see that part before commenting.

@LadyFaceSamps  needing master unlock code is preventable. People need to stop guessing codes. 

LadyFaceSamps
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. I just had this issue with my Samsung S7. I obtained the PUK from public as well as the PUK from Bell my old provider but neither worked. Then I found the below post and it fixed everything.

If you need to unlock your Samsung phone, here's how. You will need the following codes:

1) The Master Code Key (MCK), also known as a DEFREEZE or UNFREEZE CODE and/or;

2) A Network Control Key (NCK) also known as an Network Unlocking Code (NUC). This is the main network unlocking code. 

Both of these codes can be obtained directly from Samsung via their live chat feature in a matter of minutes. Don't waste time trying to get them from your old/new service providers.

It's important to note that what Samsung handsets refer to as a "SIM Network PUK" is actually the Master Code Key (MCK). It's exactly the same thing and it seems a poor choice of terminology by Samsung has caused a lot of confusion and wasted time for numerous people. 

Instructions for unlocking. 

1. Power off your device and insert the SIM from your new service provider. 

2. Power on. If your device gives the following message you need to enter the MCK. "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." (See step 4 if your phone asks you for a SIM Network unlock PIN). 

3. Enter MCK. It will likely tell you the code was "unsuccessful" however disregard this. 

4. You should now be at a new screen which asks for the "SIM Network Unlock PIN." Enter the NCK here. Note you only get one chance to enter the NCK, so do NOT make a mistake. 

5. You should see a message saying "Network unlock successful." Your phone is now unlocked. 

I hope this helps. 

@Bakali38 wrote:

Ihave attemted to unlock too many time no what can i do

If you have attempted to carrier unlock your phone multiple times, it may be now permanently locked to that carrier.  Some phones have a unlocking reset code that can be entered so that the carrier unlock code will work again. The manufactuer should be able to provide that.

Bakali38

Ihave attemted to unlock too many time no what can i do

Napcorsecond

After chatting with Rogers, swapping Sim cards and 2 separate chats with Samsung, everything now works. I had to input not 1 but 2 separate PUKs supplied by Samsung in succession. Thanks for everyone's input. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GinYVR wrote:

@NapcorsecondMost likely you will need a new SIM. PUK etc are store on the provider side. But it really depends on how you define "hard lock"

What i meant to clarify, is in the event the phone is SIM locked you only have a limited number of attempts to enter the proper code untill the phone will no longer allow you to at all, then the lock is permanent.

@NapcorsecondMost likely you will need a new SIM. PUK etc are store on the provider side. But it really depends on how you define "hard lock"

Napcorsecond

And if the phone is "hard locked" what do I do then? 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

just for future note, anyone trying to SIM unlock your phone, be careful not to enter the code in too many times or the result will be a hard locked device. Always make certain that you have the proper sim unlock code to enter in before attempting.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can get a PUK code directly from Samsung.  Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page:   http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170 Inform the rep that you would like to unlock your Samsung phone and provide the IMEI & Carrier info In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email

@Napcorsecond wrote:

So I need to call Rogers then? 

If I was you I would contact Samsung through their online support. Rogers reps always refuse to give it and tell people to contact the new provider that it is sim issue. Samsung gives it to you in 2 minutes. https://www.samsung.com/ca/

@Napcorsecond wrote:

Yes, they will unlock your phone for free of charge. 

Napcorsecond

@Napcorsecond wrote:

It's definitely a PUK code. Phone was unlocked. Thanks. 

All Public Mobile sim cards have the PIN set to 1234.  If that was not accepted, the phone was likely asking for for SIM Network Unlock PIN.  After entering that incorrectly, the phone will ask for the SIM Network Unlock PUK.  If that's what your phone is promptong you for, your phone is still locked.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Napcorsecond wrote:

@Napcorsecond a lot of Samsung phones bought unlocked will actually lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card inserted in them.  So even though you bought the phone unlocked, it may have locked itself to Rogers without you realizing.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Napcorsecond

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Napcorsecond Yes, wait time is upto 2 days as moderators are getting a lot of inquiries. Are you sure it's the PUK code that you need from PM or is it the code that unlocks the phone? If you purchased from Rogers, then likely it is locked to Rogers. In this case, you need to get an unlocked code from Rogers by calling them. 

Need Help? Let's chat.