cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not working with my phone

CamTest
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dear Customer Service,

I'm a new customer and I can't make my new sim working. I've been reading the FAQ without finding the answer to my problem.
The sim is activated; it works with my friend's smartphone..
I have a classic mobile phone. Is there a compatibility problem? What do I have to do? I need urgently my sim working.

Thank you for your answer 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

According to one of the Annoucements (link here). Public Mobile's Getting Started Page now uses willmyphonework.net

@Dunkman wrote:

The Public Mobile IME checker is a good start, but is not 100% accurate.  

The website :  

https://willmyphonework.net/

is probably the best resource.  (as stated above)

If your phone is not listed on that website, checking the phone specs online and comparing to Public mobile band frequencies.  PM does not support 2G.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

If the SIM card works in your friend's phone, it is a hardware issue.  Either incompatibile or some setup issue.  

The Public Mobile IME checker is a good start, but is not 100% accurate.  

The website :  

is probably the best resource.  (as stated above)

If your phone is not listed on that website, checking the phone specs online and comparing to Public mobile band frequencies.  PM does not support 2G.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

If the SIM card works in your friend's phone, it is a hardware issue.  Either incompatibile or some setup issue.  

NancyJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CamTest 

Have you gone through all of the steps of 'getting started'? Always check your IME (step 1) to make sure your phone is compatible. Your phone also has to be unlocked from your previous cell phone provider (which they do for free now). Good luck-hope you get this sorted out asap

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CamTest simple use the link below to check if your phone works PM or not. enter the IMEI at bottom of the page. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@CamTest 

If it is a "classic mobile phone" it might only be a 2G phone which lacks the 3G capability which it is needed to work with Public. For legacy phones you are pretty much have to stick with the major brands like Rogers, Telus and Bell and stay away from the flanker brands.. and yes which means you will have to pay more. You might want to upgrade to a newer phone or pay more for the compatibility.

@CamTest wrote:

Dear Customer Service,

I'm a new customer and I can't make my new sim working. I've been reading the FAQ without finding the answer to my problem.
The sim is activated; it works with my friend's smartphone..
I have a classic mobile phone. Is there a compatibility problem? What do I have to do? I need urgently my sim working.

Thank you for your answer 🙂

Hi there

It's important to know that by posting a message here, you are not speaking to anyone at customer service.  The Public Mobile moderators generally do not interact in messages threads, except on the rare occassion.

When it comes to phone compatibility, your phone would need either 850 (band 5) or 1900MHz (band 2) on UMTS type networks for voice calls to work.  Without that, there's no point in even trying to use a specific phone model at Public Mobile.  These UMTS bands can also be used for data.

What is your phone model?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi There,

Have you checked your phone's compatibility with the PM network?

Also, is your phone unlocked?

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You have to give more speficis.

What is the exact type of phone you have? Could be that you phone is not compatible but we won't know until you provide more details.

Need Help? Let's chat.