cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not supported

JohnnyChann21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I checked my imei to see if my phone was compatible and it was good, so I bought a sim and got a plan and every time I insert my sim is not support.. what should I do? Btw my iPhone 6s is locked to bell

10 REPLIES 10

bsperanz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

it's around $13/month (just signed up a week ago), but I was on a 1gb plan where I have 2gb here (technically 6/90 days but just as an average)...they wanted to bump me up another $25/month to add a gig so you're right. 1 month of payment and that cost is already covered haha

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ah well - note that for the future!

And here's a good thought - that money you spent at a kiosk is probably much lower than what you've already saved with PM by not being on Bell. 🙂

bsperanz

@koimr1

ughhhhhhh I did it some time before Christmas. I had no idea about this. I didn't see any articles posted or heard any stories on the news cycle. I inquired about it last summer when I first looked into PM, but had to wait it out because it was cheaper to pay a few more months then switch instead of cancelling at that time and paying out the remainder of the contract...then I got lazy/procrastinated and waited til my contract expired. 

koimr1

@bsperanz wrote:

my phone was initially locked by Bell before I switched over. They will charge you a crapload of money to unlock a phone (something like $50 or so) so I just went to a kiosk in a mall to get it unlocked. $25 or $30 I paid. 

When did you do that? As of Dec 1 2017 Canadian carriers are required to unlock any phones for free if locked to their network. Bell even has a page about it:

Unlock your Bell device

And from Here’s everything you need to know about Canada’s unlocking fee ban :  

"Note: Since publication, readers have asked if they can still get their phones unlocked if they are no longer a customer with a particular carrier. MobileSyrup has reached out to carriers for response.

So far, Bell has responded, stating: “We will unlock Bell devices for current and former customers with accounts in good standing. The device cannot have been reported as lost or stolen.”

So don't pay for it! 🙂

bsperanz

my phone was initially locked by Bell before I switched over. They will charge you a crapload of money to unlock a phone (something like $50 or so) so I just went to a kiosk in a mall to get it unlocked. $25 or $30 I paid. 

marsbar

Yup or threaten to complain to the CRTC/ CCTS via https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

Acekiller

let us know how it went!

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@JohnnyChann21, you will need to contact Bell to have the phone unlocked.  From what I have read online, Bell doesn't like to unlock phones for people who are no longer customers of theirs.  It could take some smooth talk to get it done. 

by "smooth talk' @will13am means "let me talk to your manager" because ultimately service providers can get in trouble for not unlocking phones.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JohnnyChann21, you will need to contact Bell to have the phone unlocked.  From what I have read online, Bell doesn't like to unlock phones for people who are no longer customers of theirs.  It could take some smooth talk to get it done. 

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

If you tried it on another phone that work on public mobile network, then its sim issue.

However in your case, it is the locked iphone that prevent it from working, assuming your iphone is still locked now.

Need Help? Let's chat.