cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card not recognized

ganguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone6 which is unlocked. I bought the Sim card and a plan and went through the activation process. When I insert the Sim card I get the following message: "the Sim card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another Sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."
Can anyone help me with this?

50 REPLIES 50

ganguy

Here's where I'm at:
I connected through iTunes on my desktop which successfully updated the the phone, however I still get the same error message after waiting several minutes while it tries to activate.
I checked the IMEI number on the IMEI24 website, and found that the phone is not blacklisted, however the Sim status was reported as "unknown".

From all the advice I've read above it seems that the phone is clearly still locked, or become relocked. Now I'm not sure what to do, it sounds like I have to somehow contact the previous supplier which may be impossible.

It may have been locked by the Mexican network when I used a pay as you go card there. Dealing with them should be interesting if I can find the time. I'll get back to the group when I get more information.
Thanks to all

@softech wrote:

Would Apple Support help to confirm or provide unlock code for free??

As Luddite was saying, Apple doesn't unlock phones. Also, there's no such thing a carrier unlock code for an Apple device. Apple maintains a list of the IMEIs of unlocked devices.   It's usually the carrier that gets the device added to Apple's unlocked list.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@ganguy wrote:

I have an iPhone6 which is unlocked. I bought the Sim card and a plan and went through the activation process. When I insert the Sim card I get the following message: "the Sim card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another Sim card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Run your new phone on iTunes and do a FULL reset. And the end of the process, if it is truly unlocked, the last screen will say Congratulations your iPhone is unlocked. 

Or check you IMEI number here and read closely for the carrier or unlocked information. 

https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

An iPhone 6 would have been carrier locked unless it was bought from the Apple Store. 

@ganguy  I suggest to try a non PM SIM on this phone.  If it works with other SIM, then it is not an issue with locked phone.  If you get the same error, then at least you know the phone is still locked.

@softech wrote:

Verizon iPhone 6 would ne A1687 and A1688, they both should work on GSM/LTE network.

It still look to me it is a locked phone issue, although OP said it was used on another network without issue.  

They will not. Code must be provided by carrier. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

It was used in Mexico. Several US carriers include NA roaming.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sorry I am no iPhone expert but I looked around and some people mentioned an unlocked iPhone could have locked again after a master reset:

It was unlocked by a third party on eBay and not the original carrier it was locked to.

The unlock wasn't authorized to begin with so chances are Apple reverted it, since all of this is server side.

Could some Apple expert here confirm??

Verizon iPhone 6 would ne A1687 and A1688, they both should work on GSM/LTE network.

It still look to me it is a locked phone issue, although OP said it was used on another network without issue.  

@ganguy 

Have your daughter call verizon to get it unlocked. They do not have the same regulations here so they may refuse or charge a fee.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ganguy : If you can get the exact submodel of that phone that would be useful. iirc Verizon might still use CDMA. This place does not.

ganguy

To all commentators:

Thanks very much foryour assistance.

The phone was a gift from my daughter in the US when she upgraded hers. I think she was with Verizon, but will find out.
At the time he worked with a technician to have the phone unlocked. I never used it until a trip to Mexico, where I bought a one-month card. It worked fine then. Subsequently I haven't used it until now.
I will try some the suggestions offered here, and also try to find out who the phone was originally registered with.
Thanks to everybody, stay tuned, I'm not a techie so it'll take me a while to sort this out.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luddite : Any way you or any Oracle might be inclined to ask why the IMEI checker on here has ceased functioning? devicecheck.ca may be delayed. I would think a carrier provided checker would be more valid for that carrier. Koodo doesn't work either. And I couldn't reasonably find a Telus one. One would think there ought to be a Telus one that would cover all their brands. But what do I know.

I do not have an explanation for you, but Public Mobile is aware of this situation and has removed the IMEI check until it can be fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : Any way you or any Oracle might be inclined to ask why the IMEI checker on here has ceased functioning? devicecheck.ca may be delayed. I would think a carrier provided checker would be more valid for that carrier. Koodo doesn't work either. And I couldn't reasonably find a Telus one. One would think there ought to be a Telus one that would cover all their brands. But what do I know.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ganguy  It may be unlocked but blacklisted, especially if purchased used from an unknown source. This can happen long after a sale for a stolen phone, or one with an oustanding carrier balance (see: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ganguy  To confirm an iPhone unlock, try a sync to itunes:

• Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
  • Connect to computer with USB cable
  • Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
  • iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
  • Install the carrier profile update (if offered)
  • Disconnect and reboot

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ganguy 

Which provider did you get your iPhone from? The message you are recieving indicates it is still locked to that provider and is an old enough model to have not fallen under the new WCC rules effective December 2017 that phones must be provided unlocked or the provider must perform or give you the unlocking code. 

Customer service agents will often claim your phone is unlocked when it is not unlocked. They are required to unlock it free of charge and in a timely manner when requested by the customer. If you encounter pushback tell them you will immediately file a dispute claim with the CCTS and ask for compensation. This will get them to sit up and listen to you and fufill your request.

The provider your phone is locked to will send a request to Apple once you provide the IMEI to them and they will unlock the phone. You cannot request this from Apple yourself. Once unlocked you will have to connect with iTunes/iCloud over wifi to download any software updates and update your APN and other settings.

@LurganIeUk @AE_Collector @Luddite  @CalgaryBen can all offer apple advice as they are all iPhone users unlike us Android folk! Welcome to Public Mobile!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to contact either your previous provider or Apple Canada to unlock it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

frist make sure your iphone is unlocked 

and also if you have another phone try it to put it on 

if you are sure your phone is unlocked make sure you put it the SIM card is right you know,

and your SIM card is Activate

and if your phone is locked the apple support is not do unlocked your iphone you have to do the unlock code by calling your previous provider to the doing for Free , if you still Activate with them the doing for Free, you have to try it with them

Good Luck

softech
Oracle
Oracle

This message usually means the iPhone is locked

Are you still with the carrier that you got the iPhone from?   Assuming you are planning to port out from that provider where you got the iPhone from originally, you might want to HOLD.  Do not port out yet.  Have them to unlock it for you first.  Once you leave the provider, it might be hard to get them to give you the unlock code

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ganguy This message indicates that the phone is still locked. Please, contact your old carrier and ask them to unlock it for you,

Source: link

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ganguy wrote:

@ganguy   Sounds like your phone is locked to your previous carrier and you need to get it unlocked and ask for the unlock code by calling your previous provider or Apple support.

Edit:  Are you sure your phone is unlocked?

Need Help? Let's chat.