cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Sim Cards Now $2.99

How can they afford to sell Public Mobile SIM cards cheaper than Public Mobile itself?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Danchvn - Wow, that's outrageous.

@Korth wrote:

How can they afford to sell Public Mobile SIM cards cheaper than Public Mobile itself?

None of us really have any idea of what the cost is to that company, if they receive a bulk disocunt, or if authorized retailer even pay anything for sim cards.  Anything said here will be speculation.

Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

Let’s see. They sell a $10 SIM:

Public Mobile $3.99 - 30% minus cost of envelope, $1.00 stamp, process address label and labour $.29. = $1.50 net profit for the seller approx. 

Bell $.79 - 50% minus cost of envelope, $1.00 stamp, process address label and labour $.29. = $.89 net loss for the seller. 

Not to mention rent, website utilities etc. 

Mayor / Maire

I realize that blank physical SIM cards cost something around $0.25 each (in bulk). And the firmware - flash programming, burning in "unique" ID codes - costs around $0.25 each (in bulk). Along with the branding and printing and packaging stuff probably adds another buck or two to each piece.

Every carrier has given away free SIM cards at some point. Or sold them for as low as $5 at some point. So they obviously don't cost much. $3 (or less) seems about right.

I just assume that Public Mobile (or Telus) has paid someone to program and code and brand and package their SIMs. And that this would be a secured arrangement, secure facility, secure packages, secure delivery (because carriers certainly don't want to risk their SIMs being copied, hacked, or compromised before they reach the customer).

So I wonder how a third-party vendor could've obtained PM SIM cards at PM's own SIM card prices. And why PM would allow them to sell them cheaper.

in my opinion they have some connection with these companies as they just not offering cheaper sim cards but also 15-20% OFF on Top Up , most probably getting some returns otherwise who should be crazy to loss for marketing purposes only !

its just my assumption and could be wrong though

also they are selling on eBay a link is available on Canadian Cell Supplies website 

and they they +100 google and +1100 ebay since 2016 (5 stars review) looks very legit company. but one thing they mentioned that prices depends on stock and can go up and down while i chatted on whatsapp on their website.

I don't understand why they are not allowing more than 4 sim cards weekly and 4 top up daily, any idea ?

Mayor / Maire

@Sadi79 wrote:

I don't understand why they are not allowing more than 4 sim cards weekly and 4 top up daily, any idea ?

Maybe they still have some stockpiled from years ago, when PM gave them away for free, and they'll ration them out to attract business for as long as possible?

Mayor / Maire

@Sadi79  Public Mobile is very popular. A few months ago when someone posted about CCS many people bought a bunch of cards. Vouchers sold out in 30 minutes. They then put a limit to 2 per week and I believe 1 voucher. Likely to give everyone a chance to get a sim or a possible voucher. The deals also get posted on Redflagdeals. Continuously CCS has been sold out on vouchers and the price of sims change from time to time. 

It's nice to see that the limit is raised a bit now. Black Friday is coming soon 😀

Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@Sadi79 wrote:

Maybe they still have some stockpiled from years ago, when PM gave them away for free, and they'll ration them out to attract business for as long as possible?

@Korth @Sadi79 Maybe to stop someone from buying up the lot and listing them on ebay or craigslist etc?

yes this make sense and guess what i just tried to order from their eBay link and it says 2 max every 10 days so they have restriction on eBay as well, looks right that they want to increase their direct customer instead getting resellers 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.